FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPaula Bennett

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paula Bennett
    Posted: 29 July 2009 at 10:19am
I know this will possibly be controversial but I just wondered what people thought of what Paula bennett has done and the scrapping of the TIA.

My own personal opinion and is no way meant to be offensive is I think what she did is good. Those 2 women receive a hell of alot of benefits and its good to see both sides of the story.

I'm also glad the TIA is scrapped. I studied prior to Daniel. Wasn't entitled to a student allowance because my parents had a farm and "earnt too much" even though they were not supporting me at all and I wasn't living at home. Everything went on student loan including living expenses. When I studied last year. Again most of it went on student loan because I couldn't get a student allowance or any assistance and I really don't see why everyone else can't do the same if they can't afford to pay it outright.
Sponsored Links

rachndean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachndean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 10:25am
I agree with you Stacey. I think that what she did was definitely within acceptable boundaries.
I remember reading the story from the two mums in the herald last weekend, and I got the impression that the government were telling them that they werent allowed to study in a tertiary institution.
So I say good on Paula Bennett for setting the story straight! She made a very good point saying that student loans are interest free, and all New Zealanders are entitled to one.
Henna79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 10:29am
I agree too. I think she did the right thing they earn more than most people do.
Andriea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andriea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 10:30am
For me Im not on a benefit, but I definately wouldnt like my income to be announced on national TV.

When I studied I couldnt get a student allowance either and DH was earning not much more than minimum wage, I got a student loan + living costs added to the student loan, in the end I owe close to $100,000 but I do have an excellent qualification with the potential to earn a lot more than that. I think either every student should be able to get TIA or student allowance and that student allowances shouldnt be based on parents income if your independant of them. We hard out struggled when I was studying with 2 kids and our income being around 500 a week.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 10:32am
If its my own personal income I wouldn't want it on national tv but then if its govt/tax payer money I don't see why that should be "secret"
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 10:36am
I'm appalled she done.

This benefit is designed to get parents (primarly women) off the benefit and into skilled employment thus lifting themselves and their children out of poverty.

Yes I realise being a student is hard and student loans suck (mine is still around 10k) but if we are going to target money, it needs to go to those most in need.

Single parents have added expenses like childcare which single don't have. They will find it harder to keep a part-time job while studying due to childcare costs and responsiblities.

Not just investing in them but also in their children. Kids whose parents and educated and working are actually far less likely to end up in prison and have better educational outcomes than those who stay on the benefit.

Also remember that this is the same allowance that Paula Bennett used when she was coming off the DPB to get further qualifications and a better job for herself.
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 10:37am
Yeah I agree with the student allowance thing, if they manage to finish their degrees or study then they will be in a financial position to be able to pay back their student loan. On the other hand I do agree that we should be encouraging people on the DPB to study and get qualifications.. Scraping the TIA isnt going to stop them, if they want it bad enough they can do it!

I was on the DPB for ONE year and got the TIA, I got the TIA spread out over the year and it was something like $90 a week!!! It was ridiculous. I did use it to pay my aunty to look after Janaya rather than her go to daycare though, being a single mum meant I didnt have a partner to take over while I studied, so there was that aspect of it which I was greatful for.
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 10:59am
I think what she did was right in terms of publicly declaring their benefits. It is the tax-payers money that she is declaring, not their own personal income from private employment. Good on her!

ETA: I also think they should get a student loan like everyone else. In fact I just agree with everything Kebakat said in her first post!

Edited by LittleSal
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:11am
I have to agree with Stacey, I don't have an issue with her releasing the level of state assistance they get, after all their entire argument is about requiring more assistance so surely understanding what they already receive gives the complete picture?

I also strongly feel that tertiary education is a privilege, not a right. My parents assisted me in my diploma out of high school (lucky I know) and I worked my ass off to get my degree via correspondence whilst working full time both here and while I was living in London.

One of them gets over $700 a week in benefits, probably more than some people on here earn in a week in their full time jobs.

ETA: Edited to fix my spelling, clearly I got that degree from a weetbix packet!

Edited by summerlamb
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:11am
Those women brought it all on themselves, by creating a web page / blog complaining about it in a public forum.

I think what Paula Bennett did was a bit petty, and the kind of behaviour I'd expect from a govt Minister.

As for the TIA, I guess the grumble is that they were getting it and now they're not, most NZer's get annoyed when you take their money away from them.

Those women earn a lot more than my husband does, and that means I'm not entitled to any assistance of any kind.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:15am
I still can't believe that people think it's ok that private information is released.

I'll ask you how'd you'd feel if how much your WFF tax credit was realeased.

Of if the government started cutting maternity services, you complained and they released details of the medical costs of your pregnancy/labour, or the amount of susbidsed doctor's visits for your child. Hey you choose to get pregnant and have a child, therefore why should we the the taxpayer cough up.

Oh that's right it happened to someone else so that's ok.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:15am
I don't see anything wrong with what she did, & agree they should be entited to apply for a student loan like anyone else.

Like all stories there will be more to this one, like how long they have been on benifits, how many kids they have & what they are studing.

Yes the amounts they earn a week makes it hard to do things & study & get of the benifit, BUT there are heaps out there not on benifits that earn that amout & have to do it on there own.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:19am
Actually lemongirl I'd have no issue at all at people knowing how much I get from WFF because its not MY money. We currently get $18 a week this year, last year it was $139 a fortnight
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:25am
lemongirl, it wouldn't bother me. Anyone can know how much I earn and what taxpayer money I've benefited from in terms of public services, I couldn't care less.

I get pregnant the taxpayer pays, yes. If it was taken away would I go to all the fuss these people have gone to? No, it would either be covered by private medical insurance or I would save before having my children just like you do for anything else that costs money.

Medical services and getting extra money on top of a large range of existing benefits is not the best comparison IMO.

Edited by summerlamb
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:34am
Actually I applaud Paula .. if you are going to bitch and moan about your situation in a public forum, you kind of bring it on yourself.

I also wouldnt really care who knew how much our WFF or any other government subsidy is.

On a side note .. my husband had to take a student loan and "borrow" a living component as we arent entitled to any kind of training allowance (or any other subsidy) .. so if we can do it (and im not earning as im on maternity leave) ... then those women can suck it up and do it too.

We have less than 700 a week coming in for four of us (although I have chosen to go on extended maternity leave, so I have acutally saved a nest egg to tide us over).
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:57am
Im not sure what those women were doing to earn so much ,but when I was on the DPB I was getting $330 a week ,and paying $260 rent, plus power food and phone, its certainly not as easy as its made out to be , living on the DPB

But its not just solo mothers , its anyone who is getting it, my best friend has arthritis, from her jaws to her feet, very severe, she had her hips replaced at 13, and due to a few reasons , she qualifies for the TIA allowance , she is studying psychology , and she'd be good at it too , im not sure what shes going to do now that its been scrapped .

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 12:03pm
i dont know wether she should have disclosed the info or not... i do think it a bit petty tho that she would have had to go looking for that info and she did go against the privacy act by disclosing personal information without consent... why should she get treated differently than anyone else... if it were me or anyone else trying to get income details that werent ours we would be refused...(case in point i cant even get my dead mothers bank balance)! Paula bennett said she wanted the whole story known but then deliberatley mislead us by only giving the amount they receive, not what for or a breakdown - apparently one of the mothers has sick children so receives money for that which as i imagine would go directly towards medical costs..should she really be penalised for that? Furthermore what now of the fathers of those children? how do they feel? are they now saying "oh she gets heaps from social welfare why should i pay her any more money?"

I think Paula Bennett seems to have forgotten her roots somewhat and wonder what her reaction would have been if her income had been disclosed so publicly?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 12:03pm
im now abit confused.
Are we saying only these two women shouldn't be entitled to it ,or all people who who get it,no longer should? (because everyone else did it without )

sadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 12:04pm
I'm glad someone brought this up as I was thinking about it last night.

I think the two women involved brought it on themselves by talking about it in the first place. The money they get is funded by the taxpayer, so I think we (as taxpayers) have every right to know what they are getting. Sure, they should absolutely be entitled to get a student loan just like everyone else, and to pay that back when they start working.

FWIW, we live solely on my husbands wage, and have never been entitled to anything at all from the government. The only exception to that was the 14 weeks PPL i got when we had DS. It bugs the crp out of me to hear stories of someone getting over $700 a week as a handout, when we as a family pay huge amounts of tax to fund it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 12:05pm
Bizzy , I totally agree with your whole post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>