Mocka - Emma Smith

Emma Smith, owner/director of Mocka

OHbaby!: What did you want to be when you grew up?
Emma: I wanted to be a vet for years, but ended up being not particularly goodat biology!

OHbaby!: Do you ever feel "mummy guilt" about spending time working instead of with your children?
Emma: I think every working mum has a sense of guilt. It is very difficult and takes time to find the right balance between work and family. I am still not sure I have that right yet - but I'm working on it!

OHbaby!: What do you do to get "me-time"?
Emma: What's that? I try and go for a run a couple of times a week to clear my head, and late nights at the mall is my favourite time to shop - on my own, with no kids and no buggy!

OHbaby!: What is the smartest thing you have done with your business?
Emma: Understanding that if someone has a problem with their purchase it is important to fix the issue and turn their experience with us into a positive one. Generally, those people end up being your best customers.

OHbaby!: What's the biggest mistake you've made, and how was it resolved?
Emma: Not realising how much time your own business can consume and figuring out that working from home isn't as easy or practical as it sounds!

OHbaby!: What is your favourite thing about the business now?
Emma: It is really satisfying to see your brand becoming well-known, and repeat customers purchasing our products as their children grow. The lovely phone calls and emails from customers who are happy
with their purchases are very rewarding.

OHbaby!: What is the best advice you were ever given as a mother?
Emma: Trust your instincts and go with it.

OHbaby!: What is the best advice you were ever given as a businesswoman?
Emma: Pretty much the same thing - don't dither, make a decision and run with it! You will never get it right 100% of the time, but as long as you have a can-do attitude, you can't go wrong.Issue13MumsBusiness6

OHbaby!: What are your best tips for getting out of the house on time?
Emma: Get everything ready to go the night before and remember the drive-thru coffee shop is beckoning down the road!

OHbaby!: Who is your superhero?
Emma: My partner in crime, business and love. Without him, things would be considerably harder with the business. He is a great dad and will happily take the kids out if things are turning to custard on the work front!

As seen in OHbaby! magazine Issue 13: 2011
Issue13Cover_200 
Subscribe to OHbaby! magazine
Purchase Issue 13

Community
GALLERIES

Copyright © 2017 www.ohbaby.co.nz. All Rights reserved.