FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDecember 2007 Mummies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 246>
Author
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 6:55pm
Hi girls

It sounds as if everyone is doing well. We're now home from a few days away at a wedding. It went pretty well although Liam wasn't too keen on being in the car. Bit of a shame really as he always used to fall asleep. He did sleep through the entire wedding ceremony which was cool.

Peanut, you're so brave taking Mac camping. Glad you're having a good time.

Topsy, I hope the bf'ing continues to go well for you & Bella.

Tea time so catch you all later.

Edited by sally belly
Sponsored Links

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 8:36pm
Peanut that's so cool that you're camping with Mac. I'm not that organised - in fact I'm still debating whether Rowan will go down to see her great Gran at Easter - and that's in a house!

Emz big bills suck when you're a new mum. I feel your pain as I have to pay IRD $550 next week because somehow my tax last year got stuffed up

Sally you've just reminded me I need to RSVP for a wedding we're due at next month. I really hope Rowan is more settled by then because man she's got a great pair of lungs on her.

Rowan has started clamping down really hard on my nipples which one of my friends said is probably to try and slow down my milk flow. Whatever reason it hurts so much! At first I thought she was latching badly so I kept pulling her off to try again but to no avail. And then to make matters worse she did latch badly this morning and I didn't realise and now my nipple is all bruised I don't know how you girls do it without shields - It's friggin painful with them.

Has anyone's baby got into any kind of routine for feeds yet? Rowan is still all over the show in the daytime but I think that is due to the heat.

Edited by Bobbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 12:51pm
I've managed to get baby to sleep so hopefully I'll have a few moments to catch up on here

This whole bf'ing thing certainly is quite difficult at times. I don't have any pain on the right side but the left side does get a bit sore sometimes... seems weird but perhaps he's clamping down too hard too?? I wonder how you correct that?

Liam does seem to have a feeding routine of sorts. It's pretty much 3 hourly day & night. Although I've just fed him after 2 hours but that's not usual. Some nights he will go for 4-6 hours but last night it was back to 3 hourly. My MW did tell me that baby should decide to drop the 1am (or equivalent) feed soon & I thought he had but he wanted it again last night. Bobbie, it could be due to the heat - it was so humid yesterday . I sometimes forget that they feed not only for hunger but thirst as well.

Where do people buy their disposable nappies from? I'm sure there has to be a cheaper place than the supermarket... especially now that Liam is nearly ready to go up a size & they're even more expensive.
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 8:14pm
That's good to know that they drop the 1am. Can't wait for that to happen.

I was at coffee group today and one of the girls has her little boy on routine feeds every 3 hours. I don't know if I could stand Rowan crying in between times when it's hot.

The wedding we're going to when we first got the invite I was still pregnant and I said I probably wouldn't go as my baby would only be a month and a half old (going off my original due date). And I was told 'oh no that's fine bring her we don't mind'. So I RSVP'd yesterday and they asked me not to bring her as they've decided on no children. So now I'm trying to decide whether I'm ok with leaving a 2.5 month old with her gran for the afternoon and evening or whether I won't go after all.

Oop can hear Rowan's hungry again. Better go rescue DH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 2:04pm
Bobbie, that's a bit annoying that the bride & groom have now decided on no children at their wedding. Of course it's their choice but to change their mind like that. Is the wedding in Auckland? The wedding we went to was the most child-friendly I've ever been to I think. They had even hired a baby-sitter who entertained the kids with games etc.

We took Liam for his 6-week jabs this morning. He absolutely screamed his lungs out & went all red in the face . It was not very nice to see but he seems fine now.

I haven't tried too hard to get Liam into any kind of feeding routine just yet. I figure he tells me when he's hungry. Sometimes he wants it after 2 or 2.5 hours & I wouldn't want to keep him waiting for that long. He doesn't give much warning before he starts screaming!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 6:42pm
How many times a day is everyone's bubs feeding? I know I'm a few weeks behind most, but it would be good to know what I'm in for. We're trying to get back to 3-hourly feeding after a shocking 3 days where mum had to come and rescue me as I hadn't eaten or slept, and all Jack was doing was feeding and wanting to play. I'm guessing it was the weather or maybe a growth spurt? At the moment he has a feed between 10-11 (not in a set time routine or anything so these are rough times) then wakes twice during the night before a 6-7am feed. I guess that's not too bad?

When are they supposed to get into a routine?

I can't believe I go back to work on Saturday! Luckily I can take the baby with me!
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 7:31pm
Hi,

We have the 6week jabs next Tuesday and so not looking forward to them. I hope she dosnt get too upset.

Bobbie, I personally dont believe in a strict feeding schedule. Afterall, they go through growth spurts and hot days where they require more and I would not like to deprive a screaming baby!!

Emz, today I have been doing 2 hourly feeds but I think she may be having her 6week growth spurt. Normally it is more 3hourly and at night I usually get a 5hr sleep out of her so only have to get up once.
I cant believe you are going back to work so early Emz! Somedays when Bellas a grumpy bum I think it would be nice to go work and DF stay at home, but then I would miss her too much.

Sally, how are your daytime sleeps going now, is he going in his bassinett? How did you do it? Bella has decided that she will only sleep in my arms and it is not exactly practical! I put her in the cot and I can see her eyes follow me when I leave and then the crying begins. She will cry until I give in as she crys for a long time and sounds distressed.

Edited by Topsy
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 8:39pm
Thats nice you can take baby to work with you emz
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 12:47pm
Luckily work is only part-time (10 hours a week) so not too bad. I'm so worried about going back though, just the tiredness factor. And I've just found out my dad's neck op has been booked for Feb 13 and I'll be his home help so I'll be doing that, raising the baby and working part-time Eek.

Jackson was only falling asleep on us too and in the end I just had to put him down and let him scream himself to sleep. My mum gave me a reality check and basically said that if he's been fed, changed, had some playtime and cuddle time, he is fine and just wants attention. So I'm being stern but man its hard! I can hear him now but its not a while till his next feed and we're having to try and get him out of bad habits that he had this whole week.
youngmumnz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngmumnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 3:26pm
Hey emz!! you had ya bubba!! :D congrats girl :D hows it going? Hows lil Bella Topsy?
Sorry i havent been on much bub was going through a ruff patch then i had to reformat my laptop and sort out my course which starts next month some of it i get to do at home which is cool cause i feel werid being away from Caitlin with her being so young and all.
OMG my midwife came over for bubs final check yesterday it started off really good bub has gained alot of weight so she is now 9lb and is getting quite chubby so it was algood for the first part then we got horrible news :( my midwife was checking her mouth and told me she has cleft palate :( I freaked out for about 2 hours not knowing how to tell me partner and blamming myself.
I dont know if you guys remember the feeding issues we had with her but yeh this is the reason why its good to now know but its still daunting to know my lil girls gonna need surgery :S
Is Bella smiling yet Topsy? i cant wait till Caitlin does that its soooo gorgeous when its all gums lol
ill come on more often lol
cheers
Jess
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 6:36pm
ooh Rowan's got her shots next Wednesday - not looking forward to that She's a pretty touchy baby anyway.
Sally I hope it wasn't too upsetting for you ( I know it will be for me but I'm a bit of a wuss).

emz pick a day - lol! It's between 8 and 12 feeds a day here.

I met my Plunket nurse yesterday and she is absolutely lovely. She checked my latch and reckons I've got it sussed (even though it hurts a bit) and thinks that if I have a few feeds a day without the shields I might be able to go without eventually. She also told me that in the afternoons and evenings I should offer the other breast after Rowan finishes her feed and man Rowan is so much more settled the last few days so there may be something to that (although it hasn't been as hot either).

Rowan is getting better at settling herself - generally when she complains it's due to wind but sometimes she just winges (like now) because she wants to be up.

She dropped the 1am feed last night so we had 6hours of uninterrupted sleep - bliss! I hope it wasn't a one off.

Edited by Bobbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 8:26pm
Liam commonly feeds about 8 times in 24 hours but some days it is 10 times. He's like clockwork wanting it every 3 hrs both day & night. I'm getting more used to the night feeds though. I'm not finding it such a struggle to get up & I don't fall asleep anymore . But I won't be complaining when he decides to drop a feed. I would love 5 hrs continuous sleep.

Topsy, to be honest I haven't really tried too hard to get Liam sleeping in his basinette. I tried yesterday & he stayed there for 20 mins during which time I rocked & shhh'd him twice before he started screaming so I got him out. DH is back to work next week so I'll give it another go then.

Jess, so sorry to hear about Caitlin. It must have been an unpleasant shock for you but definitely nothing you have done. When will she have her surgery? Thinking of you.

My MW discharged us over a week ago. How long does it take for Plunket to get in touch? I'd really like some advice re the sleeping thing.

Good luck at work tomorrow Emz.
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 11:17pm
Sally they should have been in contact by now. It's meant to be seamless - they pick up the following week from the midwife. Give the area office a call in Takapuna and they should be able to sort it out.

I was discharged on a Wednesday and rung the following Monday by Plunket to organise a Thursday visit.

Edited by Bobbie

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 3:13pm
I've already had my wellchild provider around for the first visit and the nurse should call next week. I'm goin with the Maori one though (Te Puawaitanga I think?) as Plunket have a bad rep down here.

We had such a bad night last night that we thought there was something seriously wrong with Jack, he just screamed constantly (which he never does). Didn't have a fever, nothing. Tried everything. DH stayed up with him while I got some rest (at least with him on the bottle I can sleep and DH can take care of him). He worked himself up so much that he sweated right through the bassinet mattress (wasn't even hot when I checked on him 1/2 hour before he did this) I couldn't believe it. I cried so much seeing him so distressed. Just broke my heart to see those little lips quivering and tears streaming out of his eyes Turns out he was just having a bad night! Man I worry way too much!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 9:41am
Emz, your bad night with Jack sounds like Liam most nights . He too gets so hysterical that his face goes bright red & quite sweaty. The first night he went like that we thought he must've been ill too & I was thinking we'd have to go to the hospital. We went to the doctor the other day & he mentioned colic but there's nothing much you can do it for it but wait until they grow out of it. I hope your bad nights are few & far between. It's not nice to see at all .

I'd better ring Plunket next week then. I thought they should've rung by now.

Happy wedding anniversary Emz . It's our second one tomorrow. DH has suggested we go on a picnic to "celebrate".
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 4:31pm
Thanks Sal! We dropped the baby off at mum and dads for 4 hours while we went to the movies and caught up on some washing and dishes (oh the exciting lives new parents lead!) Couldn't wait to get back to him though!

DH gave me this beautiful letter and an IOU for a nice pressie when we have the money.

I thought colic too with Jack, but he seems to be fine now? Strange... another thing I thought was an earache because he stops crying most times when you raise his head above his chest (one of the remedies they suggest in the wellchild book). Will talk to the m/w about it, she was supposed to be around about an hour ago but hasn't made it yet.. So just waiting waiting.

Oh, and Jack had his first visit to a pub today! Well technically a truckstop but hey we thought it was funny. We went to watch my dad drive a tank (his bday pressie from last year) and then went out for lunch. DH says he's starting him off early with his interest in big vehicles and beer... uh oh
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 9:20pm
emz and sally I feel your pain - I've just had Rowan on my chest because she just wouldn't settle in her cot (after 2 hours of trying). And what do you know about 5 minutes later she lets rip two almighty farts and then she went down in her cot quite happily. Is it weird that I praise my daughter for farting?

So far we have identified that lettuce and acidic fruits really upset her. Lettuce gives her lower abdominal pain and acidic fruits make her scream when she poos I'm trying to figure out how I'm ever going to lose weight when all the healthy stuff seems to make her unsettled.

though - that quivering lip and tears gets me and DH every time too.

Edited by Bobbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 11:33am
Hi girls,

I had wondered about my diet too Bobbie. How exactly did you work out that lettuce & acidic fruits are the problem? This parenting thing sure is tricky...

Baby is currently sleeping in his sling. He seems to always drop off to sleep when he's in it but it does give me a sore back . It just takes so long to get anything done around the house but I'll have to learn to not worry so much either...

Better be off - he's awake & screaming

Edited by sally belly
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 2:36pm
Lettuce was easy because it happened the feed after I had a salad or a sandwhich where lettuce was the common ingredient. The other salad ingredients varied heaps but there could be more - The Plunket nurse reckons capsicum does it too but I'll wait and see if it does before I cut it out.

I was told one leaf should be ok but I had one leaf in a sandwhich yesterday afternoon and Rowan was farting all night (and very upset).

The acidic fruits was pointed out by the Plunket nurse and when I thought back to the times it had happened I had had oranges or orange juice before the feed.

It's pretty hit and miss and TBH I'm tempted to keep retrying it and see if she improves - I don't want to cut out salads and heaps of fruit.

My mum rang before and reckons I should delay her 6 week jabs for 2 weeks since she was 2 weeks early and is small as well (3.7kg). What do you think? I can't see it would make that much difference but now I'm worried about it.

Edited by Bobbie

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 3:01pm
I don't see why it would make too much difference Bobbie. Wow, she's 3.7kg now? Growing well! My little fatty was 4.25kg at his weigh-in yesterday - 9lb 6oz! Couldn't believe it. Pretty sure he's going to be expensive to feed like his father!

That must be frustrating trying to work out what in your diet causes issues. I don't have to worry cos Jack's on formula completely now, the only thing I don't like about it is his poos really smell But he and I are both a lot happier, and the pain in my boobs has subsided to the normal pain I've had. Can't wait till I have my op - I wonder if they could do a bit of lypo around my tum while they're there?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 246>