FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp! Sick Bubba

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Sick Bubba
    Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:29pm
A couple of questions.

Spencer has a tummy bug and has been vomitting and has diahorea (sp?) his temp is fine. He hasn't had any solids since Friday except a small amount of baby rice this morning (2-3 teaspoons). He is still having bottles but has spewed some of them straight back up. At what point do I take him to the docs? he doesn't seem to be dehydrated and is quite happy but I am a little worried about him getting dehydrated.

Other question is apart from baby rice what else would be good to offer him as solid food? I think perhaps having something in his stomach will help and as he isn't point blank refusing solids anymore I could try something else but I don't want to overload his tummy.

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:31pm
Sorry I got that wrong he hasn't had any solids since saturday, for some stupid reason I was thinking today was Sunday not Monday

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:33pm
How bout toast? It works for MS so maybe for Spencer?

I guess your gut will tell you when you need to go to the docs but they will probably just say to make sure he is getting fluid. If he has wet nappies, I think that means he isnt dehydrated.

Maybe offer his all time favourite foods?

HUGS!!!!!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:21pm
I read in the well child book that to give them water (if FF which he is? I think?) after every dirty nappy. And to go to the doc after a couple of days. But I would say if he's happy and he's getting enough fluid, just monitor him for another day and if it doesn't start improving, take him to the docs?

Big hugs! I freaked out when Jack had a tummy bug for a day so read up on what you're *supposed* to do. Hope Spencer gets better really soon.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:35pm
To be honest if he is happy and hydrated and no fever I'd give it another day or so before getting a check up.

Hope he feels better soon!

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:42pm
Well he had a little bit of toast, although like most finger food the majority of it was on his clothing rather than in his mouth. He refused a bottle but has gone down for a nap. So fingers crossed he doesn't spew again.

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 2:06pm
When Sam had her tummy bug she had no solids for 5 days! When she did start eating it was only a little and probably took her a good few weeks to get back to normal
If you are worried you can get Pedialyte from the chemist (cheaper on script $1 for a big bottle) which will keep his sugars etc topped up until he is back to normal.

Poor wee boy - it's really miserable seeing them sick isn' it. I hope you didn't end up with it too though. (our whole household ended up coming down with Sam's!)

Big 's for Spencer from Samantha

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 2:11pm
Yep I've got it too and so has my friend and her wee bubba, we think we may have caught it from a 1st bday party that we went to. I spent all day yesterday spewing and had a fever but feel a lot better today but still can't face eating. So far DH has been ok which is great cos he looked after Spencer yesterday whilst I slept.
I might get DH to go to the pharmacy on the way home and get some pedialyte just in case, won't hurt to have it sitting in the cupboard.

I will pass on the hugs when Spencer wakes up

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 2:29pm
Daniel hated that pedialyte. You can just give them watered down e2 according to my doc. It tastes nicer and does the same thing. e2 doesn't have the same high concentration of sugar that other drinks do.

I would take him to the doc, my doc gave Daniel some medicine (don't remember what it was) to ease his nausea which helped him get over his tummy bug much faster.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 4:13pm
Yeah, I would head to the doc as well. Although they are likely to say that it is something that has to pass through his system they may give you something to ease the nausea and/or diarheoa (sp??)
Lindsey

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 5:28pm
He went a bit down hill this afternoon and has basically spent all afternoon in bed staring at the wall and then when I got him up he projectile vomitted all over me so I ended up taking him to the doc and he thinks that we have rotovirus.
DH is throwing up as well now. My house stinks of vomit and dettol

His temp is ok but he is slightly dehydrated so we got pedialyte but he doesn't want it, I managed to syringe 10ml into him, although most of it dribbled out of his mouth. He also said that I can water his formula right down to 50% so have done that as well and he drank 40ml.
Oh I tried e2 as well but he wasn't having any of that either
Doc wants us to come back tomorrow if he gets worse and then he will need to go to the hospital to get rehydrated
Doc was happy that he was still quite alert and interested even though quite obviously not his normal self. He did manage a giggle with the stethoscope though, he is sooooooo ticklish.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 6:15pm
Which flavour e2 did you try? Daniel loved the apple and blackcurrant one
MyBelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyBelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 10:59am
Eden has a tummy bug at the mo as well seems to be the same one, and i have been told to give her watered down apple juice? apparently the potassium in it is good for them when they are dehydrated, so maybe try that?? for you all!!

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 11:57am
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

Which flavour e2 did you try? Daniel loved the apple and blackcurrant one

It was the mango one, they only had mango or orange at the supermarket.

He seems a bit better today, not totally himself but he has a few more beans than yesterday. He has started drinking again as well...yay.... only about 80mls at a time but its a start. The doc said that the vomitting stops first and then the diahorea and I had thought the vomitting had stopped but no he went again this morning but at least he is drinking even if it isn't staying in him very long.

One plus side is that this morning he snuggled up to me on the sofa and went to sleep I don't normally get lovely snuggly cuddles

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 12:39pm
Oh poor Spencer and his parents! Hope the road to recovery is a short one. Poor guy, but I bet he loved his snuggle as much as you did, I know I always feel better after a cuddle!
Snickerdoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snickerdoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 1:55pm
Snuggles are the best!
I hope you all get better soon! Sounds like the three of you need to snuggle up under a blanket on the couch together!!

Thirdtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thirdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 9:45pm

Hey how are you going cuppatea?  You can also get paedialyte/hydralyte iceblocks from the pharmacy.  Theat may appeal more to Spencer.  Or even if he sucks on a lemonade popsicle that a good 73mls.  When we have babies in hospital with gastro, almost all of them go off the feeds (solids and b/f or formula feeds).  But once better go back to normal.  It's horrible.  Big hugs to you

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 10:18pm
what a rough time the cuppatea household is having! i can remember charli having this bug last year and we ended up having to take her to hospital as she got so dehydrated her eyes were so sunken in, she looked like an african baby you see on the tv

what flavour pedialyte did you give him? charli wouldn't drink the orange? one but absolutely scoffed the bubblegum one we got at the hospital. the best way we could get fluids to stay in was syringing 10mls at a time. her vomitting stopped first, then the other end came right after a week or so.

hope everyone is better really soon!!!!   the only consolation of having a sick child = cuddles!
i think when you are feeling crap, mummy cuddles are the best

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2008 at 9:01am
Yeah it was the orange fruit one. We had some success with it, once in his mouth he actually started drinking it so we managed to quite a bit into him yesterday. Although I need to buy a bigger syringe as I only had the 3.5ml one that you get with the pamol, so that made it all a bit time consuming.
He had that horrible sunken eye look yesterday, it was awful.
He drank 180ml at 6am and so far it hasn't come back out so it looks like, fingers crossed, no vomitting for 15 hours so hopefully the other end will stop soon.

Post Reply Post Reply