FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone had ovarian cysts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kellverona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellverona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone had ovarian cysts?
    Posted: 13 October 2008 at 9:54pm

If so can you tell me your symptoms?

Been having lots of troubles down in that area and doc sending me for an ultra sound to see if I have one of these.

Would love to hear.

Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 9:58pm

I live with them all the time pretty much. What did you want to know. PM and I can tell you all about my experience.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 10:41pm
i had a few when I was younger - so not so fresh in my mind. I remember it was intense pain in my low abdonimal on my left side (sort down the side of the bikini line) like a knife grinding in it. I was hospitalised but since I got my af they sent me home - only for me to be rushed to hospital the week after with internal bleeding and one in my fallopin tube had tumor and so I lost my left tube... not a happy story i am sorry BUT I have gone on to have 3 children with no trouble.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 10:49pm
Yep, I had surgery five weeks ago to have my left ovary removed as it had been strangled by a cyst and become gangrenous.

Before I got carted off to hospital I was being treated for what they thought was a kidney infection - basically it was a lot of pain in my left side which would come and go, and because my ovary was so far back they thought the pain was coming from my kidney.

In the end the pain got so bad (I'm talking worse than childbirth bad) that they couldn't control it outside of hospital, so I got carted off to get some morpheine into me and have lots of tests (I'm petite, but they had to give me 18mgs of morpheine before it even took the edge off - apparently that's a lot?).

Anyway, at hospital they thought it was an ectopic pregnancy (which it wasn't) and then they thought it was kidney stones (which it wasn't), and then they decided it was a dermoid cyst (which it was) and rushed me off to theatre to get rid of it. It measured 9cm x 6cm x 4cm apparently, and was one of those creepy ones with hair and teeth and stuff. So, so gross. I now have a scar like a CS on my tummy, it was a 20cm cut.

My case was pretty extreme though, it's very unlikely that you'd lose your ovary over it.
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 11:40pm
Yep and they are terribly painful. Like AF cramps times 100 and more dominant on a particular side. I had to take tramadol for pain relief as Panadol/paradex didnt work and I cant take codiene.

I had a Lap to remove the one I had which was 3.2cm in diameter. Good luck.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2008 at 8:02am
Yup, I have had them on and off, usually on my right side. They can be pretty painful, like sharp stabbing pains which can occasionally leave me feeling nauseous and faint.
I have an IUCD which apparently makes them more common, but my Dr has never been particularly concerned about them.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Konagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2008 at 8:12am
Yep, also had them. Two cycles with one each side. One popped after a few hours in hot pools (doc's could tell as there was free fluid around the overy a month later when I had a ultrasound for the next one, and after the hot pool I was in agony).
The second one was way worse, with the pain having me writhing on the floor wimpering. Off to hospital as I thought it was a eptopic preg as it was just before af was due and we're ttc.
Ultrasound next day and showed 4.2cm cyst. I ended up having op about 3 months ago and it was an endometrial cyst.
Symptoms came on very very quickly, I went from normal pre-af cramps to more pain then I've ever had in space of 20 minutes. Sharp pain on one side. Once diagnosed it was dull and constant and slowly worsend over next 6 weeks till I asked of op.
Good luck, try and get it sorted asap as it's horrible if it is cysts.
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2008 at 11:07am
I've had ovarian cysts in the past, specifically when I was 16 years of age - bilateral cysts I think they referred to them as, never required surgery as I was told they can disentergrate on their own accord with your cycle etc

Throughout pregnancy I had to keep having scans as I had a left adnexal cyst measuring 6cm in diameter - then after I gave birth my Dr brushed me off and told me not to worry. i've had on/off stomach cramping since, and it's only today that I've finally been given a referral for an ultrasound up at Middlemore to check whats going on. Thank God I finally have a thorough Dr.

As mentioned above, the most obvious symptom would be sharp pains/cramping in your lower abdomen/ woman regions ...
Single Mum to a darling wee boy of 3 years :)
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2008 at 12:44pm
Yeap, Ive had one the size of a tennis ball when I was younger. I had severe pain in my left side. They ended up giving me morphine as nothing else helped with the pain.

I was in hospital for 5 days, and the doctors couldnt figure out what was wrong. They decided it must have been an STD (how embarrassing!) Day 5 in the hospital and they finally gave me an ultrasound.
I was lucky in that it went away on its own without surgery,
Mummy to two beauties... Formerly Kaiz.
Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2008 at 7:00pm
yep, I've had plenty. My right ovary and fallopian tube was removed, as it was a dermoid cyst that turned cancerous/

With my left, it has been poly-cystic, but luckily I don't suffer from the other symptoms associated with it like difficulty losing weight or excessive body hair.

I then had a huge cyst form on my left at the beginning of my pregnancy, but that disappeared at my 18 week scan. Also my other cysts disappeared as well.

The ovary I had removed was bloody painful. Docs originally thought it was my appendix, until an ultrasound revealed what it was.

I hope it is a cyst that will disappear by itself!

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2008 at 7:41pm

Hi Kellie,

I had one when I was pg with Leah, showed up in my early scans then was gone when I had the 20 week one. At 26 weeks had severe pain, to the point that I couldn't stand upright at all for hours. Was sent for bloods to check there was no infection and another scan which stillshowed nothing.

When Leah was born (emergency  C Sec) they found that the ovary that the cyst was on in the beginning was twisted around a few times and the cyst was lurking behind it thats why it hadn't shown on the scans. Was removed during the delivery and tests came back as benign which was good.

AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2008 at 9:11pm
Those who lost an ovary and fallopin tube check that they didn't leave the ovary there. for years i thought (as sure my mum got told with me there - I was 16) that I had lost both. Then when I had a scan for Rhylz it was revealed i did have both ovarys they just took the tube. I know within a week my golf ball sized cyst turned into 3 golf ball sized cysts.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
 Post Reply Post Reply