FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeart burn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heart burn
    Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:45pm
I know this has probably been asked 100s of times but oh my the heartburn is really doing my head in, nothing seems to be fixing it
Just wondering what you have tried and if it worked. I've tried tums, quickeze, mylanta the mw suggested crackers and milk? it did not work! Seeing Dr tomorow so might have to get something on prescription but any ideas????
Sponsored Links

MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 4:44pm
My MW suggested I take Titralac when I start to feel heartburn, it's available from the pharmacy. It works quite well for me, the tablets dissolve pretty quick and taste pretty good too.

Hope you get some relief soon, it's pretty horrible when it won't go away!!
Lisa mummy to Ryan
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 6:56pm
I use natural almonds and chew them heaps and heaps, it works quite well although if it is really bad I have to eat lots of almonds!

I hope it gets better!
Mummy to Eva born 11 Feburary 2009 and Charlotte born 18 April 2011
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 9:17pm
you poor thing, I had heartburn with Caitlyn it sucked the big banana !

Only thing that worked for me was titralac, I started to get a bit addicted to them tho ....

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 9:49pm
Shannon, I've been taking Titralac for indigestion, and it works well for that. I've been getting the odd bit of heartburn lately, but a glass of milk usually helps with that. Hope you find something that works for you!
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 11:46pm
Snap, I was coming in here to ask the same question. I get heartburn almost every evening from about 5-5.30 and NOTHING helps. I've tried milk, icecream, banana smoothies/milkshakes, almonds and antacids but still feeling

Can anyone post the contents of Titralac so I can look for the equivalent here please? Are they just antacid tablets or do you need them on prescription in NZ?

Am off to the doc on Thurs for my next appt, so I guess I will also be able to add this to my latest list of "unpleasant things to ask about."
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 8:03am
Kiwisj, they are just antacids - Contains: Saccharin sodium, calcium carbonate BP 420mg.

They are made by 3m in Aussie.
Lisa mummy to Ryan
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 9:36am
My midwife got sick of my moaning and told me to get some ......

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 10:13am
I use to get really bad HB with DD ...So bad that I use to run around the house in the middle of the night crying as I was on fire!! and the only thing that helped me was Gavascon (sp??) Liquid.
I liked Linseed flavour!!

Good luck I hope it eases for you soon!

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 11:51am
I lived on the chewable lemon gaviscon tabs cos I couldnt stand the aniseed flavour!

Cutting things out of my diet helped too. Anything choc made my heart burn really bad!
mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 1:45pm
Ok have some gaviscon and titrilac so hopefully one will work! Will let you all know
Kellz i dont think i could cope without chocolate! I seriously did not eat it before being preg cause it made me sick but now i cant go a couple of days with out some!
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 1:46pm
Eww it's gross eh! I suck on a quickeeze which helps for a wee while. Hopefully your doc will be able to give you something that works for you!!
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 10:23pm
I just asked at my 1st antenatal class tonight, as the indigestion is currently making me feel really sick. And the usual remedies (almonds, icecream, milk) don't seem to cut it anymore.
Someone suggested Gaviscon liquid instead of tablets, as it works quicker. Someone also said that sometimes having your head down can bring it on, and I have been doing a lot of forward bends with yoga lately, so who knows....
Also was advised to cut down on orange and tomato juice (which I don't drink, but I eat oranges and tomatoes). Apple, pineapple and pawpaw on the other hand are meant to be good.

aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2008 at 1:37pm
Mylanta chewable tabs here and then got titralac around the 30 wk mark. Hope it goes away soon for you!
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 10:31pm
Titralac and almonds for me too, and cold milo (obviously it's the milk but I don't like just straight milk lol).

A warning about gaviscon liquid - it says on the bottle not to have it within half an hour of lying down. Don't ignore this advice! I took it in the middle of the night one night and lay back down and it came straight back up my throat again...gross. Probably won't happen to everyone but I certainly won't take it in bed again!
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2008 at 12:16pm
Last pregnancy I lived on titralac, but it had a limited affect. I also had to get up several times a night for glasses of milk and so on. This time around the Dr has prescribed me some Ranitidine, which works for 12 hours... I find it really brilliant, and only have to use titralac occasionally now.

If regular antacids aren't working for you then maybe you could ask your Dr for a prescription.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
canuckmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canuckmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2008 at 6:12pm
Hi Shannon!

Poor thing, I hate heartburn and was getting it so badly it was making me vomit at night in bed, but had it all day long, finally called my MW this monday and she prescribed Ranitidine. It works wonders. I've had 2 whole days with no hearburn, and I can't even believe it..

I tried almonds, and milk, and mylanta, uh... NOTHING worked at all, the mylanta worked for 5 min.

Hope you figure it out, it is so painful

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 12:39pm
I'm intrigued with this almonds thing, do you have them raw with skin on?

I love almonds so will have to give that a go cause this little blighter has turned again & now I have my reflux back.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply