FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI’m ready to talk.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’m ready to talk.
    Posted: 27 November 2008 at 11:44am
Please please please, this is confidential, and Sam and I are SAFE.   I did read through a previous thread that might have had similarities and CYFS was contacted.

Please, do not contact CYFS, I am SAFE, I am FINE and I have a LOT of support.

This is a cut/paste from the domestic violence forum I have joined. Sorry it is MASSIVE

I want to share, I want to tell my story because I want anybody out there to know that domestic violence is not just about physical violence, there are women like myself who have been subjected to emotional/verbal/mental abuse and it's just as bad.

Ok, this might be a long story.

It started nearly three years ago. I had moved back to my home town after studying somewhere else for two years. I was single and open to a relationship. I was a completely normal, happy 21 year old with friends a job and a wonderful supportive family.

Enter - M.

I met him online. He seemed ok. We chatted for a little while and I invited him to a party at my house. (He lived about an hour away). He came to the party, we got on great, and decided to see more of each other. Things were fine for about one month.

Then the alarm bells started ringing. I was young and I ignored them. We would tell each other things about our past and things that we had done. He started to slowly make me feel bad for things he wasn't even around for, for example, I left school at 15 to study. He didn't like that so he told me I was unmotivated and lazy and a dropout. Conversations like this continued, and he made me wonder whether anything I had ever done was any good! He critized everything I did, everything I said and told me all of my ex boyfriends were no good losers (he had never met any of them, he just decided this after I had told him about them)

He then decided that I should quit my job and move an hour away to where he was living with his parents. I stupidly did. What a mistake. I couldn't do the housework properly, I was lazy, unmotivated, I didn't have enough friends(he had none). I shouldn't smoke, I shouldn't eat this, do this, do that. Nothing I did or said was any good. I walked on eggshells ALL day long. I had to make his lunch, cook and clean, and it was never good enough for him. If I got upset or stood up to him, his rage would be triggered. It would escalate to the point where I would be cowering in a corner with my hands over my ears saying STOP IT. He wouldn't stop it and I would be a crying mess for days until he made me apologise. I can describe it as a feeling of intense expectation on my thoughts. He would MAKE me explain to him in great detail about what I thought was wrong with me, what I should do about it and why I reacted a certain way, thought a certain way and he would do this for hours on end. I knew this was wrong but I let it happen.

After about four months he decided that he could never offer me a commitment, never wanted to have any children, but wanted me to stay with him anyway. I wanted those things, so I left and went back to my mum.

Two months later: He kept coming over on the weekends to see me. Things would be ok for a day, then something would trigger him and he would get into an uncontrollable rage.

Two weeks later: I found out I was pregnant. He flipped out, and told me I needed to get an abortion, or he would move as far away as possible and never see me ever again. I continued the pregnancy. Nine months later I delivered a healthy baby boy. He was there, and we had moved back in together.

Four months later: He decides it's not what he wants, and he wants myself and our four month old baby to leave. I leave and get a place of my own. He still tries to control everything I do, and shows up whenever he likes.

To cut a long story short, our son is 18 months old now and his father has been exactly the same to me as before, even in front of the baby.

Eight weeks ago he decided to move to Australia to work so that he could pay off his debts and make a future for himself and for us. He MADE me promise that I would not see anybody else while he was gone, and that he would change and that he would come back whenever he could to see us and it would be great.

He came back last week. It had been two days and we went out for a drink with my step-sister for her birthday. My sister and I were having fun and laughing and joking about old boyfriends we had when we were 15. He took offense to this and lost the plot. He ended up in an uncontrollable rage in the middle of town screaming and swearing at me. My mum was babysitting our son and he had gotten us a motel room for the night. He took me to the motel and the intense arguing and constant questions about where I get off treating him like that and that the whole trip was a waste of time/money and why did he even bother coming back if I was going to be such a spoilt, selfish little [CENSORED]. He then got angry when I wouldn't have sex with him so he drove me home at 3AM, dangerously, while screaming and shouting at me at the top of his voice, not watching the road. Needless to say I was terrified, shaking and crying, and he was yelling at me to stop crying. I went inside and locked the doors. He returned the next morning and blamed me for everything, saying it was a waste of money and I humiliated him in front of my sister and to the motel staff who brought two breakfasts to the room and he was the only one there.

I tried to explain to him that I would never forget what happened in the car and that it was unacceptable behaviour. He didn't agree. He blamed me for treating him like crap and walking all over him. He does not listen to me when I say that I am scared or that I am upset. He is adamant that I need to look at myself and realise that I have a problem and that I am so self-righteous and stubborn and it really pisses him off. He also says that I am the reason for his anger.

When he came back he demanded that he take his son out for the afternoon (I declined, saying that I wouldn't let him take him out when he was that angry). He lost the plot again saying that I wasn't letting him see his son and he could get court orders in place so that he can take him away from me. This is the single most horrifying thought I have ever had. That is my baby. I gave birth to him, did everything for him, he lives with me and me alone. I have been on my own with him for over a year and I am a damn good mother. He says he has grounds to get full custody of him and I better watch out and don't push him because I don't know what he is capable of. I am terrified that he and his family will do something. His family do not see what he is like, and they think he is a softly spoken, gentle person.

He has left to go back to Australia now. For the past three days I have been in survival mode, trying to keep him happy, to appease him, not to get upset, not to trigger him and to just keep him calm until he leaves. He accuses me of being hot and cold, wondering why I will not have sex with him and constantly badgering me about my problem and when will I learn to take the blame for things and face up to my issues and change.

My appeasing didn't work though, just before he left, he took back all the gifts he bought for me (a digital camera to take photos of his son, some perfume and some moisturiser) I am a solo mother and I can't afford to buy nice things. :( He even made me take off the jeans that I was wearing because he had paid for them. He said he was going to burn them all and smash them. He said I didn't deserve any of it, I was a selfish spoilt brat and I have ruined his whole trip back and it was a huge waste of his time and money.

I need to see a counsellor. I know this is abuse, but I need to have someone TELL me that it is, because he says that I am imagining it all and that I only say he's abusing me to get out of facing up to my problems.

Please help me, I don't know what to do. I do NOT want him back, although I want him to have a relationship with his son, I would never stop that. I do not however want my son to grow up around the abuse and the yelling or to think that it's ok to treat people like this.
Sponsored Links

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:00pm
It's definitely abuse - good on you for speaking out.

You have done very well and he knows it's abuse too which is why he is telling you you're imagining it so that you won't get outside help.

Get your family on side if you can. Your sister has seen this all go down so I'm sure she will be there to back you up. Talk to her - and she will be able to confirm for you that this is not your fault but his inability to control his rage.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:00pm

Well done for sharing.  You are obviously seeing that his behaviour is not right and I'm pleased to hear that you are safe and have a lot of support.

I assume you have gotten in touch with a counsellor.  Have you also contacted the court?  I'm not sure the specific name for it but something along the lines of a trespass order against him and starting proceedings to have full custody of your son.

Emotional abuse is an awful thing to live through in many ways worse than physical abuse as the scars are harder to see and take longer to heal. 

Edited by MrsMojo
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:01pm
Oh sweetie, I don't know what to say expect that I beg you to get the help you need and get him out of your life.

I believe from what you've written you are a very strong young lady, you can do this.

Thinking of you.

My3Sons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My3Sons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:01pm

Renee, , what a terrible time you have had hon!!  What he has done and continues to do to you IS abuse, dont you ever doubt that!  I admire you for having the strength and the courage to have left and the wonderful job that you are doing with your gorgeous wee boy  Dont let the threats of taking him away worry you, you are a fanastic mumma and I dont think he would have a shi* show of ever taking him away from you, he must know that is the one thing he can say that will really hurt and frighten you.  Keep being strong, and talking!!  And the new forum sounds like a great place to talk with others experiencing similar things.  Lots of love to you and S xxx

Mum to Mr 10, Mr 6 and Mr 4

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:09pm
Well done for sharing, its a very brave thing to do.
Yes this is abuse, have you contacted the Families against violence or women's refuge, they can help you.
This is NOT OK! For your own safety and that of your son, seek the help of the courts to prevent him coming near you or removing your son.
Good Luck and let us know how it works out.
I've followed your story since you were pregnant with Sam and you are a fantastic mother and a lovely lady, you deserve so much better.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:17pm

Thank you everyone.

I am making plans to see a counsellor at the moment.

My stepsister has been through the whole family court system with her ex partner so she knows EXACTLY what I am going through and has given me a lot of good advice. The difference between her and I is that her and her partner had broken up before she found out she was pregnant and her son doesn't have a relationship with his father.

He didn't contact me for a week, but this morning I awoke to find text messages. I texted and said 'The only contact you and I are to have is to be about Sam and that's it'.

He then sent me a lot of awful messages saying that he had heard there had been a red car at my house a lot this week (my friend) and have I f***ed him yet and it's his bed and he was going to take EVERYTHING out of my house and leave me with nothing.   His fridge/freezer/washingmachine/dryer/couch/bed are here. He went to Australia and left them here for me to use.   I have a bed of my own in my spare room so that's not a problem but everything else is!    I am paying for the washing machine dryer as he left me the bill, along with the playstation 3 that was on the bill also (he has the PS3 with him in Aus).

I feel sick to my stomach thinking about him taking things from me. Should I just arrange for it all to go back to his parents so that he's got nothing of his here?   I know he doesn't care about anything but his bed (he is adamant I am sleeping with lots of men in it, which is bollocks).

I am glad that he is away from me though. I am very safe here, my mum stays lots and I have friends and family everywhere to back me up. They all know what he is like and what he has done.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:25pm
To be honest if it was me then I would get all his stuff out of your house and off to his parents. That would help break those ties.

I know it would be difficult but hopefully family could rally together to help get you what you need.

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:29pm
Good on you for having the courage to speak out and to do something. Don't let him dangle the threat of taking your son away from you over your head, it won't happen.

I am sure you will get a lot of support from your new website and people who have been through similar situations, you will of course continue to get support from us all on here.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:32pm
Didn't want to read and run. Good for you for standing up to him, and thank goodness he's back in Oz and away from you.

I agree with Paws, probably best to at least start getting rid of all his stuff as much as you can.

It doesn't sound like he is going to listen to reason about anything and it's definitely abuse. I would even consider changing your cellphone number since he's sending you abusive texts. (But document the text messages he's sent you, what he's said and exactly when they came through, just in case you need them down the track.)

and remember that acknowledging the problem is a big part of dealing with it! You go girl!

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 12:36pm
Is it possible for you to change your phone number or have him go through your parents/lawyer to contact you.
I'd get rid of his stuff too, it that's what he's using against you, get it out of your life.
Thanks for sharing your story, so often we think of abuse as only being physical, when its the emotional and mental abuse that is far more common and far worse in terms of your self esteem.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 1:09pm
Well done for sharing. My family is currently going through the family court for a very simmilar situation except its my brothers partner that is the abusive one so while i totally understand the whole white ribbon thing i feel i need to point out that its us females as well. Any way i digress.... Chances are things will get nasty in time so all i can say is document document document! Its hard doing the whole he said she said thing do anything you have proof of will be in your favour. Also be prepared mentaly to have all sorts of crap accusations thrown at you. i totally agree get all his stuff back to him you may be able to use the local police or someone of authroity to drop it off to his parents that way there can be no allegations that you have damaged any of it. Re the legal stuff the order you would be after is a care and protection order for you and your son. Be strong and god bless.
febbabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote febbabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 1:13pm

I agree I would get rid of everything that is his, the less he has over you the better.I would change my phone number as well so the only way he can contact you in through a 3rd person who can monitor his behaviour towards you
Good luck with everything your a strong person to make a break from him.
Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 1:31pm

1. It is definitely abuse. No question about it. Don't doubt yourself for a single second on that.

2. What a f$^&$% bully!  (Sorry - maybe not appropriate, but MAN that kind of gutless behaviour winds me up!)

3. I agree with the others - get rid of his stuff. Make a clean break - give him as little ammunition as possible.

4. Don't answer his calls on your cellphone, but maybe keep your number so that you can still receive his texts as evidence. You never know how useful those things can work out to be

5. I would start talking to a lawyer (maybe through citizens advise?) about a protection order and find out some information about getting sole custody.

6. . Good on you for taking a stand on this! You deserve SO MUCH BETTER!!

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 1:31pm
Aww Renee What an awful situation to be in. You sound like an amazingly strong woman to be going through that, and you obviously have the strength to get through it. It breaks my heart that people are treated like that and you have no idea how glad I am that his emotional abuse didn't convince you that you need to stay with him.

I'm sorry I don't know the ins and outs of the legal stuff, but didn't want to read and run. Thinking of you
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 1:34pm
Oh Renee, to you chick!
You've had tons of good advice already so I'm really just posting to let you know that I'm so sorry he's put you through all this and that you're an awesome girl who deserves so much better.
Stay strong
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 1:43pm
Good on you for being strong and making a move to change things for yourself and your son.

I agree with what others have said - make a clean break, get someone to help give all his stuff to his parents and document EVERYTHING he says to you or sends to you in an email or text. And TALK with your family and ask for their help so you're not going through this all on your own.

Take care
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
ooEvaoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooEvaoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 1:46pm
Renee, good on ya, you've made the first step by recognising that YES INDEED THIS IS ABUSE! and you're gonna do something about it. Seeing a counsellor is a great idea, and it'll help you regain your confidence and self worth. You are a wonderful mother, don't let his threats intimidate you. You would have a strong case if you're going for full custody or a restraining order against M, being the primary caregiver and already showing that you are able to support yourself and Sam on your own. You family will be able to back up your capability. Also M has been absent the majority of Sam's life therefore does not have very reasonable grounds. As for his "assests" he left behind...if you've been in a de facto relationship for 2 years and over..and break up, all the assests should be equally divided. Otherwise give his stuff back to his family....STOP! paying HIS bills...If you get in touch with Womens refuge or Salvation Army I'm sure they'll be able to help out with replacements for you. Or even us Hamiltonian mums could maybe help out with stuff.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 1:50pm
Renee, Im so sorry your going though this, but im so proud of you for telling your story and admitting things arent great, that takes a lot of guts to actually admit .

I agree with the others re keeping a record of texts etc .

Also remember that nothing you have done now, or in your past has caused you to deserve this, he is an abuser who has systematically over the years broken you down and destroyed your self confidence, they are clever , these bullies, but , they are also cowards, a real man would realise he had a problem and get help ...BUT , that is NOT your problem, the way he is is the way he is , and is NOT due to any input from you .
So dont let him make you feel like you deserve it , or that its somehow your fault.

Sam is very lucky to have you as a mum .
And remember , if you need ANYTHING , please let us know ...we are all here for you

susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 2:03pm
I agree with what others have said Renee, you are a good Mum and Sam is one gorgeous little boy, thanks for sharing your story
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>