FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeartburn/acid reflux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heartburn/acid reflux
    Posted: 25 January 2009 at 4:15am
Don't you just love it? I just can't sleep sitting up!
Sponsored Links

Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 7:39am
Are you taking anything for it?

I'm using Mylanta dual action - it doesn't keep it away forever but it does provide some welcome short term relief. (The standard mylanta doesn't work for me at all - has to be the dual action one)
Danaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 9:01am
Best thing i've found is Titralac (sp?) tablets from the chemist. They're cheap and the relief is instant. I can' t sleep at all without them.

Stay away from butter. Seems to be a major trigger as the stomach creates extra acid to break down the fat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 9:25am
Yep have titrolac and mylanta and gaviscon...sometimes they seem to work but some nights just nothing seems to work you know?

Dana I get titrolac on prescription from my midwife - think it's even cheaper that way (hopefully you won't be pregnant for much longer to take advantage of that though!)
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 9:26am
I loved Titralac, that was the one that helped me, I forgot them one weekend and It was the WORST THING EVER . The tears , the tantrums , oh my .....
The relief just hit straight away , if I get heartburn this time *touches wood I dont * then I'll be getting some pronto !

Danaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 10:32am
I didn't realise you could get them on script. Oh well, they were only about ten bucks anyway and well worth it!! I was using quickeze before and they did nothing of course. Still have to sleep propped up but at least they keep the vomiting at bay. Throwing up stomach acid is very painful and damaging to the teeth of course.

Yep, fingers crossed she wont be kicking me in the stomach for too much longer Everyone says enjoy the sleep while you can but how can we sleep with this horrid heart burn lol. I'd rather be up feeding a baby that trying to deal with that nasty burning pain at 1am.
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 12:52pm
I also find that if I have something sweet before I go to bed I get a little *touching wood * This pregnancy has been the best on that side of things and I find if I have a small glass of milk or a tsp or so of ice cream its usually enough for me to get to sleep.  Good luck tho hopefully wont be too much longer for you!
Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 10:17pm
Can I suggest that you take them into hospital with you when you have bubs, strangely my heart burn continued for a couple of days after Cooper was born
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 10:59pm
Titralac for me too. Gaviscon was doing nothing in the end!

Aliasmum, my friend went through sooooo many bottles of gaviscon, and found that she too still had heartburn for a couple weeks after her baby was born.
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Danaj Danaj wrote:

Everyone says enjoy the sleep while you can but how can we sleep with this horrid heart burn lol. I'd rather be up feeding a baby that trying to deal with that nasty burning pain at 1am.

*laughs* , oh bless ....
thread jack , wow , your'e due ! cool ,hope she doesnt keep you waiting too long !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 8:17am
Nooooo don't tell me it's going to continue after the birth!

*note to self - pack titralac in hospital bag!
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 9:17am
I was taking titralac too, which provided some relief... but then it got so bad that no matter how many I was taking, I still couldn't sleep or anything. So now I'm on Ranitidine, which is a prescription medication that you can get from your GP... and it's fantastic. At the moment I only take 1 a day, and I rarely need to take any titralac anymore. You can take 2 a day if it gets worse but so far 1 tablet has been miraculous for me.

So if you are really suffering, go and talk to your GP, it's worth it!!
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Danaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:23am
Heart burn hasn't been too bad the last few nights. Maybe that talking to I gave her had some effect
Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 7:42pm
I had a baby who was on ranitidine for silent reflux from 6 weeks until about 6 or so months.
Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 8:03am
I had an acupuncture treatment for the heartburn yesterday - will let you know how it goes....

Hasn't worked yet as I was up at 1am with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply