FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeight Gain Paranoia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyLizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Gain Paranoia
    Posted: 28 February 2009 at 7:14am
I have gained 1.5 kg already, and I am barely 7 weeks! Argh!
I can't afford to buy any new clothes yet.

I am feeling alot more nausea now, and eating seems to make it go away, but I thinkI am just subconsciously eating more since I found out I was pregnant- and I have been told that you don't need to eat too much more in first trimester and that you shouldn't really gain that much weight at all.

I swore I wasn't going to eat for two and try to be all "bump", but am failing miserably and its still SO early, some people don't show at this stage, and I think I can tell now.

Need postive encouragement and success stories please!!!!

Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 8:26am
Or maybe I should just suck it in and let nature take its course?

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 8:38am
Don't forget too that you're carrying extra blood volume, and if you're anything like me, a whole lot of extra fluid.

Besides, my philosophy is that baby *needs* you to eat LOL (Well, most of the time anyway!)

In other words, don't go too OTT if you can help it, but don't deprive yourself either.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 8:44am
Hey.... dont panic babe!!! And Congratulations!!!!!

My 2c
In my experience- which isnt extensive- Some people gain, some people lose in the first trimester. If you try to control everything, you will just end up feeling dissapointed in yourself IMO, which is not healthy in itself, or worth adding to the already speeding emotional rollercoaster. I felt guilty for the first 15 weeks because I couldnt eat anything healthy like I normally did, pizza, mashed potato, all in very limited amounts....They say 'eat 5 servings of this and that' (!!!WTF???)
I ended up losing 3kg as I couldnt eat.... So I was worried about losing too much. Once I got past 16 weeks, I gained control of my diet again, so could control things a bit more. Although now Im 30 weeks, I cant eat much because there is no room in my stomach!! Its all squished up! I know Id rather have enough body fat as backup, and for BF than be underweight.
So things are gonna constantly change... and everybody seems to be different.
I know that you lose a lot to Breast Feeding and dont forget to do some exercise throughout.
Dont forget to enjoy it- Take advantage of being preggo!
Relax!
Jane25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 9:02am
I'm really early on but I have started to feel the need to eat more food and eat more often.

I obviously don't want to gain ridiculous amounts of weight either so just trying to make sure what I am eating is healthy (lean meat, fruit, vegetables, wholegrain breads, pasta etc.) and not really high in calories. I've actually gone off chocolate and sweet stuff which I used to eat quite a bit of so that's got to be a good thing.

[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 9:08am
I am exercising as much as I was pre-pregnancy (maybe just a little less) but DEF eating way more carbs and snacks- not junk, just more volume.

I am a total control freak and finding the changes in my body really tough to swallow esp as I don't look pregnant yet, just fatter.
But good advice re: controlling and being disappointed. I SHOULD learn to just go with the flow.

Its hard and I feel really ungrateful and like a spoilt brat, but there you go.
Poor DH is observing these inflating bosoms and isn't allowed anywhere near them at the moment!!!

Will try to be good but not too anal about it.....
Thanks for the replies.

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 9:28am
RELAX!

If you're like me - I was very fit and thin pre-pregnancy - then your body will be trying to create a protective layer because you don't have one. I gained 10kgs in the 1st 4months, but after that the gain settled down.
And you shouldn't go anywhere near a set of scales while you are pregnant. It's really hard to accept the changes in your body until you start to 'show' but look at food as nourishment for your growing child. Would you tell that kid it had to worry about it's wieght?
However much you gain, is enough. and we are ment to have a few soft bits for a little while after so we're comfy to sleep on and have stores to help us survive the sleep deprivation.
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 10:06am
i know exactly how you feel. i dont know what yur weight was like bfore you got pg but i was overweight. i went a bit mental choc, bread bread bread, cheese etc.. and put on 10kg in the first 5 months. i was a personal trainer when i got pregnant (back at uni now) so i found it really hard to deal with. i stopped eating any junk at all. didnt go on a diet or anything, just wouldnt eat and junk food. i dropped most of the weight and now have 9 weeks left, am still not wearing maternity clothes and have a total gain of 7kg. it really does depend on your pregnancy and how much you weighed before. i have a really easy pregnancy so i am still walking 60 mins a day to uni and back which helps but this early on you are gonna to feel like crap.

dont push yourself and dont obsess over the scales. if you need to keep tabs on your weight for piece of mind then all good, some ppl cant let go and being told not to look wont help but please try to rememember if you are looking after yourself it will come off again. my weight jumped alot at the start cos of water retention and extra blood volume so as long as you dont put on excessive amount of weight from being silly it will all be fine.

mrshouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 2:30pm

Hey im with the others........it is hard watching your body change but the more you fight it and down yourself about it the less youll be able to enjoy this experience. it took my a long time to "just let it go"....but once you do you will just love every minute....and it sounds like DH is loving the change so go with it!

i know what you mean by eating more now-im one of those who find eating gets rid of the nausea........but youre not doing what i did and only ate sugar lollies! so youll be fine- and they say that most womens weight gain evens out during the whole of pregnancy....(but im no example of that because i took the eating whatever to extremes)

[/url]
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 4:16pm
I was really into the carbs- only thing that felt right in my stomach. You are using a lot of energy even if it doesnt seem like it.
Growing babies is a workout in itself!

DP used to say to me when I felt crap about sleeping all day- "Honey you've been busy gestating! Arms and legs need to be made!"
lol

And as someone said- the 'weight' isnt actually 'fat' its LOTS of other stuff. Blood, amntiotic fluid, extracellular fluid (dribbling more at night yet??) placenta.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 5:05pm
Thanks. BFF just gave me a little reality check and told me that this is my first lesson in sacrifice for my child, and that its not just about me that my body is changing so it can make a healthy baby.

Which is absolutely true, and I feel suitably chastised.

Also went and bought some cheap, larger, non-maternity clothes anyway so can put the tight ones away and forget about trying to get into them.

Thank you everyone,

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 6:12pm
I am also freaking out because I have started eating like a horse already. But I am trying to eat good food, not just junk, I filled up at dinner on veges so its not so bad.

And you are right, you do have to make the sacrifice. It falls off reasonably quick afterwards tho with breastfeeding etc. I lost 7kg in the first week (which yes, some was baby but not all) after my DD was born. I hope the same happens this time too.

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 9:13pm
just thought id tell you my story, hope you dont gain as much as i did, but i put on 31kgs. and then developed pre eclampsia and swelled up even more. so i felt pretty down. but with in 2wks of birth id lost 15kgs and its falling off with me eating more than i was before. So dont worry about it if you do gain more than you 'think' you should.
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 10:41pm
It swings in round abouts hun,

You might find you will go a few weeks now without gaining any weight!

This weight is important though, its your fat stores for your milk supply.

It is hard when you spend so much of your life trying to keep weight off and all of a sudden not matter what you do you just keep getting bigger... just remember it will go again.

LOL KitKat, my DH says things like that too, bless him!

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 11:48am

I had really bad MS with both so lost 5kgs in the first 4 month with both. Then slowly as I was able to eat more put that back on and at the end of 1st pg put on 4 kgs over my original weight and 1kg for the second. Some friends put on a lot more but they are a lot smaller than me so IMO they needed to for the baby to be healthy. I didn't need to put on much/any and so didn't. I didn't watch what I ate and to be honest there were days when only crap food would stay in so thats what I would have. I had lost 12kgs the week after DS was born, but thats just cos I didn't gain anything but baby and everything that he came with weighed a bit (he was 7lb 8oz so nice and healthy size).

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 2:53pm
First time round, I'd gained 4-5kg in the first tri, this time I lost 8kg and have put 1.5 of that back on. So pregnancies are very different.

Also, last time I had a lot of issues and a heck of a lot of fluid, I gained about 30kg (didn't weigh myself towards the end cos what's the point?) and lost 20kg of it within the first 10 days. The 10kg I gained was probably half to do with bad eating, the other half I just expected. You also need to be prepared for your body to change shape - for me, my hips have been a lot wider since so even though I've dropped most of the weight, I can't fit back into my normal clothes as my hips are just too wide compared to my waist, butt etc.
skp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 7:14pm
I'm kinda paranoid too about getting too big. I am trying to eat when I'm hungry and eat 'real' food not junk. I have a dairy allergy so this actually helps me cause I can't eat cheese or icecream etc.
So far (20 wks) I have gained 6kg. I figure if I gain 12-15 over the whole pregnancy then thats ok, its not that hard to lose weight at the other end with a bit of hard exercise and diet (hopefully!)
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 9:47pm
The best thing to do is be healthy.

You can work your body back, that is how I see it.

Just remember you are not eating for two, its a myth that you eat heaps and heaps of food, just a little and often.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 9:46am
Thanks everybody.

I think I mis-read some of my hunger signals last week and went a little nuts with the carb servings and snacks in response to the MS.

Toned things down over the weekend, and still felt good and not too sick or hungry despite drop in total food intake ( NOT dieting, just not going crazy or eating crap)

Did some good exercise too, and feel much, much better today about everything!

Isn't it funny how some foods that you normally are not that fussed on are just the most delicious thing out and vice versa now? I am totally off chocolate but loving colby cheese.

Strange.

Sarah269445 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah269445 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 6:54pm
I put on over 15kg my last pregnancy and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 13kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose the weight you accumulated during pregnancy.

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck!

Mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply