FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInfant Gaviscon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Danaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Infant Gaviscon
    Posted: 02 March 2009 at 3:31pm
Hiya,

I'd really love to hear from people who have used or are using this product.

Today is our first day as the doctor didn't have anymore answers for her eating and sleeping problems. Bit worried as I went to midwife today after the Osteo and the doctor and she hasn't gained any weight in 8 days. She's not spilly so if it's reflux then it's silent. Her hiccups sound wet after a feed if she is not upright and she screams as soon as she is lying down. She is difficult to burp and cries alot during a feed making it difficult to get more than 1/3 of a feed down her at one time. This means she is hungry every hour. I should add that my milk never came in so she is FF.

Does the gaviscon have an effect straight away or does it take a while to kick in e.g. days or hours??

The doc suggested only using it in the afternoons and evenings which are our problem times. Has anyone else found this helpful?

How did you combat the constipation problems? Is there a way to prevent it rather than treat it? Is boiled water and/or brown sugar enough or did you have to resort to coloxyl drops?

Sponsored Links

BeLoved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeLoved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 4:26pm
Hi Danaj

We used infant gaviscon for a couple of days but it did not work for us, but it did work for my nephew. I think it is meant to work straight away as it stops each feed that its in from coming back up (not necessarily spilling but burning in their little throats)

I can completely sympathise with what you are going through as I have been there and only very recently. Heidi was prescribed losec for her silent reflux she was always swallowing, hiccuping and hard to bring wind up along with screaming etc. ALOT!

Losec has helped but in all honestly I think the main thing that help us was I just decided that I had to just let go of being uptight and at my wits end (trust me I thought I was about to lose my mind!) and be really patient with Heidi and just do what had to be done at the time (sometimes nothing works to this very day!) but I just go with it and she seems like a much calmer baby because of it. Granted she is becoming more & more of a mummies girl by the day but if I make her happy then I guess thats something (especially since DH is away for awhile) and in the beginning I felt like the worst Mum and really beat myself up about her not liking me etc. but I think it was because I was so uptight I made her uptight where as DH, Nana, Aunties etc. were really calm and that made her calm.

Anyway enough of my mumbo jumbo!!! All the best and I hope it all starts to get better and easier real soon for you and Madelyn! HUGS!!!
busyissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busyissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 7:21pm
Hi Danaj,
It definately sounds like your little one has silent reflux. We used gaviscon at the start with Isobelle and it wasn't enough on its own. We also tried Ranitidine but that didn't work so we are on Losec now. We still occassionally use gaviscon and it works ok with the losec.
Issy got constipated with the gaviscon when we used it for every feed and we just started giving cool boiled water. You could try a couple of drops of prune juice in the water. Is Madelyn having much at her feeds? With Issy it turned out that a lot of her constipation actually came from not getting enough milk.
I would ask your midwife to arrange a paed visit, especially as she is not gaining weight.
Good luck
Danaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 7:36pm
She has downed two full feeds in the past 2 hours. She has never eaten this much in her short little life!! Not to mention the 2 hour nap this arvo (never happened before) and now she's happy in her rocker (also doesn't happen).

Tonight will be interesting. The exhaustion meant that she's been sleeping at night for nearly 9 hours then another 5. Not good for her to sleep that long and the be awake for 12 hours. She also woke after 9 hours with a dry nappy this morning. Been to doc and she's had good wet nappies since then but she went floppy and lethargic at the doc's this arvo which was very scary. She's been given the all clear now though.
TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 11:19am
i got given gaviscon ty hated it make sure you baby gets tested for reflux before she gets put on losec.....google the side affects..........my boy was on it cause they thought he had reflux..................my suggestion is to ask to go to hospital get referal stay there until they try everything...may be pain ful for you but it doesnt last long (tests) oh my goodness just read end honey take her to hospital NOW dont wait..............ty was the same floppy etc he was severly dehydrated ended up critical ..............your doc shouldnt have left it ...dont want to be alarming but there is no way this should have been left........my boy had RSV.....ask questions on this...............good luck and keep us posted
scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 1:49pm
We used Gaviscon for a while until the constipation got worse and she was put onto ranitidine (the next 'step' after Gaviscon, before Losec) - the doctor advised that it was better for Clara to be on ranitidine than to treat the constipation with coloxyl drops, but your doctor may think differently.

Also, I don't know much about FFing because my baby is BF, but I guess you have thought about using a thickened formula? (As Gaviscon basically just acts as a thickener.) Or a HA or goats milk formula? I've heard of other refluxy babies who had success with a goats milk formula. (I found taking cows milk out of my diet made a big difference.)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 2:04pm
Isla was on gavsicon 6 times a day for silent reflux, the constipation peaked at about 2weeks of using it, and then her body got used to it and we didnt have any further problems with constipation - she was bf.
We noticed a great imropovement in her- more settled and feeding/sleeping better after just a few doses.
She ended up being on it 6 times a day for 6 months, plus ranitidine twice a day. Diff situation to you tho, as Isla's was only diagnosed at 5 month old and there was a lot of damage done to her throat from the stmach acid so she needed to stay on the gav to keep the milk down, and ranitidine to stop her producing so much acid so her throat/oesophagus could heal.

We had better sucess giving Isla the gaviscon prior to feeds than after- cos she was bf we obviuosly couldnt add it to her bottle, which is another way of giving it. She wouldnt take it well after a feed, but when she was hungry we could put the gav mixed with about 10 mls of cooled boiled water in a large dropper down the inside if her cheek, before a feed. This was the most sucessful method for us, and the gav seemed to work better than it did when we gave it after her feed. You can buy large medicine droppers from chemist for about $3.

Hope some of this helps!
Blankney94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankney94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 11:22pm

Dana - I really sympathise for you - it sounds like you are going through hell.  There's more information about Gaviscon in my thread "10 day unsettled baby" on this branch - people have come to me with lots of useful information.  We are just getting by on Gaviscon and a lot of soul searching for new ideas that might help.  Just wish we could all find the magic answer!

Re the wet hiccups (aren't they horrible!!) - get the Gaviscon into Miss Ruckus as soon as possible when that occurs- the relief in Brooke is almost immediate.

Heidi - what you wrote sounds exactly like me at the moment - anxious, trying to do everything right, watching my wee girl going through pain, not liking her for what she's putting me through - but at the end of the day realising that it's not her fault and this isn't her "personality" as such.  Today we had tummy time this afternoon (rare event because of her reflux) and I got a smile!!  Really made my day!

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 7:42am
Yeah totally hang on to that thought "It is not their personality". Isla was frankly an awful baby to have- she screamed day and night, didnt sleep longer than 2 hr day or night for nearly 9 months etc etc,...but once all her reflux pain was sorted and then the eczema etc then her really personality shone through! She is now a happy very active 2 yr old, none the worse for wear from what she went through as a baby!
You both doing a fab job trying to get onto the problem and persisting in getting the right help for your wee babies. It will get better
gypsynita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsynita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 9:50am

We had to use Gaviscon after every feed for a while, then started cutting it back to just mornings and evenings (when he seemed to be worst) when the constipation was getting bad. Cian was a completely different baby after going onto the Gaviscon so any reservations I had about putting him on medication went out the window!

It is really hard having a baby with reflux, silent or otherwise, and a lot of people really don't get it... Hang in there, it does go away eventually (we're almost over it now at 6 months) and like others have said - just remember that they're crying cause they're in pain, not just to be difficult!! That was the thought that got me through when I hit the edge of my tolerance

ETA: The BEST advice I got was to check out this website:

Crying over spilt milk

It's brilliant

Edited by gypsynita
Anita
Mum to Cian (Aug 08), Josh (Jun 10)

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 10:13am
We tried Gaviscon for Micah, and it made everything worse :( He went onto Losec (now Omeperazole) and the difference was AMAZING.. He now has 5.5ml once daily which I mix in a small bottle of milk (to ensure he gets it all )then follow on with the rest of the feed in another bottle.

*hugs* There are a lot of us on here that are understanding, so if you ever need to vent.....
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Guest_66873 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_66873 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 9:36pm
Hiya,

Just like to share...
My son had severe reflux when he was 4mths. I gave him gaviscon and it does work and his reflux get better.

Rgds,
Anna
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 7:27pm
Gaviscon was DS1's drug of choice. We tried randitadine (sp) but that was a mission to get in him. Gaviscon in every bottle worked a treat.
We didn't have constipation problems, but contrary to advice i'd put 5ml more water in each bottle.
You pretty much see an effect staight away, but if they've got a really sore thoat it can take a couple of days to settle.
Good luck.
Aroha11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroha11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 9:20am
Danaj - I hope the gavisocn has been successful, we have had silent reflux here but were put on losec (sp) in capsule form which we had to open up and tip the granuals down bubs throat they seemed to work and now we are off them YAY. But if the Gaviscon isn't working there are other options but all the best!!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 12:09pm
LOL This is an old post from 2009.

But I can update you, not sure if the gaviscon worked but she had an intolerance to cows milk and once on goats milk it fixed most of the issues.

Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Aroha11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroha11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2012 at 8:10pm
Ha classic didn't even read the date!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply