FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGluten free

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluten free
    Posted: 18 March 2009 at 9:37pm
I've just been told that Maggi's range of gluten free recipe mixes will soon be available in NZ supermarkets.
Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 11:30am
oooooo! things like packet soups etc?
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 7:50am
I'm not really sure.  I think they have recipe bases and stuff.  Their beef and chicken stocks have already gone GF (but I'd still check their ingredients for the time being just in case it's old stock).
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 8:26am
old stock... LOL
I hadn't realised their beef stock is now GF... DH will be pleased!
mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 5:35pm
oh yey! hope the gravy is not too keen on the gf one
NewPhoenix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewPhoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 10:15pm

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 5:07pm

Good work Anthea.  I've noticed a few recipe bases at New World but tbh I'm now so used to cooking things from scratch I don't know if I'll use them.  Really happy about the stocks though.

The other thing I absolutely love is Cookie Time's gluten free chunky chocolate chip cookies.

NewPhoenix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewPhoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 9:20pm

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2009 at 8:11am

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't even thought to check whether any of the trident noodles were GF.  I picked up a Maggi Chicken Soup for a cup today. 

I'm loving that more mainstream brands are bringing out GF foods and driving the price down.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2009 at 10:00am
Absolutely! And recently I found a Weight Watchers freezer meal for one (Panang Chicken) which was GF - and hot!!! DH is now jealous
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 2:40pm
How was the chicken soup mrs mojo? And has anyone tried the new Maggi gravy? I have a gf gravy sitting in my pantry that I tried one time and it was TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!! Can't remember the brand.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 2:55pm

I haven't tried the soup yet  but I will let you know when I do

I usually do all my groceries online but I'm off to the supermarket tonight so I can check out some of the new products available for those of us who are intolerable (oops, I mean intolerant)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:07pm
Thanks!

I Dovedale bread. I emailed Dovedale to thank them for their rice bread and he said that they are about to introduce buns into the market as well YUMMO!
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:15pm

My fav breads are vernerdi (the one with all the seeds) and basco GF breadmix (when it's freshly baked it's as soft as normal bread and makes the yummiest sandwiches - if the bread lasts long enough to cool down to be made into sandwiches that is).  Also whenever I'm in Akl I stop at Marx Bakery for their bread which is lovely and soft too.

What I really want to find is a nie pastry (either pre-made or a recipe) so I can make meat pies.  I haven't had a pie in years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 3:22pm
I toast all GF bread. I have tried most brands and haven't found one that I like untoasted.

I agree on the pastry, I spent a fortune one time on a ready made one and it was all crumbly and weird. I just make pie mixture and put it in ramekins with potato on top. Same with cheesecake. When I make one for others I always save some of the filling in a ramekin just for me
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 8:33pm

I have the yummiest biscuit recipe which you could use to make a cheesecake base.  It's also the only cookie recipe I have found that can be rolled out to be cut into shapes with cookie cutters without crumbling (I did mermaid shaped cookies for DDs birthday recently and they looked and tasted great).

Gluten free cookie cutter cookie recipe

Ingredients:

3 cups gluten-free flour mix or baking mix
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1 cup butter

Directions:

Mix or sift baking soda, flour and cream of tartar. Slowly cut in butter. Beat sugar, eggs and extract together. Pour egg mix into flour and blend well. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours. Roll out and cut into desired shapes. Bake on greased cookie sheets for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. Frost and decorate, if desired. Yield: 2 to 3 dozen, depending on shapes desired.

I found the mix had to have a bit more flour kneaded through it after it was chilled because it didn't hold it's shape too well (due to all that butter) I probably used another cup of GF baking mix to get a good consistency.

I'm going to make a lemon ginger cheesecake for my baby shower next weekend and am going to add ginger to the cookie recipe and probably replace some of that sugar with golden syrup to make it into 'gingernut' base.

Edited by MrsMojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 9:28am
Yum, sounds great thanks! I will try it out next time I am up for a cheesecake

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 9:43am
I bought a packet of GF Maggi chicken soup on the weekend. It was really nice, I couldn't even tell that it was GF! Great to have something easy to take to work.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 9:50am

I tried mine in the weekend too, was very yummy.  I'll be putting a couple of packs in my hospital bag incase the GF meals in the maternity ward are substandard (last time I got a rice wafer and some stewed fruit for my meal).

I haven't been able to find the GF maggi stock yet, except online.  There wasn't any in the supermarket when I checked.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 7:28pm
Or Jo, you order a pretty good meal and only half of it arrives!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>