FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaking Soda - Indigestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jane25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baking Soda - Indigestion
    Posted: 12 May 2009 at 5:25pm
I've been getting quite bad indigestion and today even the Gaviscon wasn't cutting it. I had heard a teapoon of baking soda in a glass of water was an effective home remedy so I tried it....and it worked....but then I saw on another website that you shouldn't have it while pregnant...arghhhhh

Does anyone know if it's really that bad or ok to use? I know you can't always trust Dr Google

[/url]
Sponsored Links

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 11:00am
Waa I feel bad that noone has responded but honestly, I wouldn't have a clue! I can't imagine how it would be bad tho as it just baking powder haha. People eat cakes and bikkies right...though I suppose the quantity is not as much....maybe should ring midwife?

Oct 11
Jane25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 11:25am
Thanks Nat I guess it's just something not many people would know much about.

I think I'll just talk to Midwife to avoid any worrying

[/url]
littleLittle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleLittle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 4:05pm
I'm with Nat - I've got no idea but saw your post yesterday so was hoping someone might have responded.

I've been getting indegistion and reflux bad for the last couple of weeks and Gaviscon just doesn't seem to be doing enough.

Will be interested to know what your mw says. I just went and saw mine today and if I had of thought of it could have asked her...... Oh well!
skp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 4:51pm
I had a few really bad days of heartburn and peppermint tea really helped me
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:59pm
Green tea and mint is also VERY nice as not as strong the peppermint flavour if you like green tea.

mmmm minty stuff, yummo.

Oct 11
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 6:23pm
Coming in late here but aren't the indigestion tablets like gaviscon etc mainly baking soda stuff anyway?

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 6:28pm
I'm not sure about the whole baking soda thing, but Gaviscon wasn't working for me so I got a script for Mylanta - it works better than Gaviscon. It's still not great for me - I get awful reflux that keeps me awake at night - but definitely does better than Gaviscon ever did.
Disco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 1:33pm
A spoonful of honey helps too! soothes the throat. I also found milk and soda water helped but not together :)

disco
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 11:18pm
I get heartburn every night , had the same with Caitlyn and nothing but Titralac worked for me , or, for a quick fix if I had no titralac a glass of Milk worked too .

SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 1:47pm
Bit late but from what I have read and been told(I get really bad heartburn too and wondered about baking soda) it is "best" to avoid sodium bicarbonate (= baking soda) and sodium bicarbonate containing antacids (though I think Gaviscon may have it in small amounts and they say that's OK for pregnancy?). I use Quikeze when it gets really bad (which doesn't have sodium bicarbonate) but mostly I just figured out what foods were making it worse and have cut them out of my diet! My yoga teacher suggested that dissolving some baking soda in some water thing, but then the next week retracted her statement and said to only use a really little bit if you needed to...

I can't remember why it's not good, but I would avoid it if possible. Rumour has it celery and papaya are good for heartburn (probably not together... weird) but I don't much like either so I just drink loads of milk and complain a lot...
 Post Reply Post Reply