FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElevit - so upsetting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevit - so upsetting
    Posted: 21 May 2009 at 4:55pm
So my dr perscribed elevit - i HAVE to go on it. I assumed since it was with perscription it would be cheaper but when i got to the chemist they said that its not subsidised so i have to pay full price ($41!!! for 30tablets). Is there anywhere i can get it cheaper? We cant afford $41 atm and im meant to start it asap. I just want to cry, i wish i could just buy it and not worry about it but i cant. I need to find somewhere that i can get it cheaper because im meant to be taking it. Thanks in advance for help. Sorry for the moan
Sponsored Links

Disco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:03pm
Not sure why you have to go on it. my midwife hates elevit as she reckons its such a rip off. Have you talked to your midwife? i've not seen it cheaper anywhere else, apart from when they have a special offer on.

sorry
disco
bex88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bex88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:06pm
Hey Angel4, I got mine off the net (can't remember maybe netpharmacy) and was $75 for 100 incl. postage so I thought it wasn't too bad. just google elevit.

Hope this helps.
amykt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amykt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:10pm
Here are two places that were the cheapest online when I was looking - remember to add postage....

Net Pharmacy - 100 tabs $68.50

Pharmacy Direct - 100 tabs $69.90
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:14pm
It was the dr at the hospital. I got admited for hyperemesis to have iv fluids and since im hardly keeping food down she said i needed to start taking it. I generally disagree with multi vitamins because i think if you eat a healthy diet you shouldnt need them but my diet is pretty much non existent atm. I will talk to my midwife Disco because it seems like so much money to spend - surely there is something else i could do.
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 6:12pm
I can't see why you can't just go on a regular pregnancy multi vit with the extra folic acid that you need. def talk to your MW

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:01pm
Yeah I don't understand how you can't go on another pregnancy multivit and extra folic acid.   There isn't much difference between others and elevit except it has the recommended folic acid amount. But you can get that on a script for $3!

I wouldn't be listening to that.    If you can't afford it, then you can't afford it, I know I can't and plenty of others who can't justify spending that much on vitamins either.

I would go to the pharmacy and see if there is a cheaper alternative.
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:22pm
yeah i dont see why you cant take the blackmoores pregnancy and BFding tablets (i think they are around $15-$20??) and then an etra folic acid tablet ($3). I think elevit is a rip off which is also what my MW said about it....
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 8:02pm
doctor probably got a perk for prescribing it
BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 8:12pm
I'm in agreement.
I took Elevit with my pregnancy with Hannah - but only for the first trimester. I took folic acid while TTC.
However, if you can't afford it, there are other options.
I guess because it has everything in it that you need it's the easiest thing for the doctor to prescribe - rather than prescribing 4 different supplements. (ie: laziness on his part).

Go and talk to you MW and to the local health store.
My MW was awesome and gave me heaps of good ideas on more natural things to take to help me along

linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 8:17pm
I also agree. Can't help but think that doctors get some kind of kick back for recommending or prescribing it.

Alex 6 and Harry 8
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 8:33pm
My OB insisted on it while I was preg with the gremlins, I talked to my uncle who is a naturopath and he said it's basically just clever marketing so I ended up taking a generic brand (Clinicians Own I think it was) plus folic acid which I got on script for $3.

I had hyperemesis with all three pregnancies, when I was in hospital they gave me a multivit plus extra potassium and I was discharged on a cocktail of antiemetics (Zofran. Cyclazine and Maxalon) plus the multivits. They never mentioned Elevit by name so I just went with the generic again.

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 9:21pm
I heard a rumour its a lot cheaper in Oz? So dont know if you know anyone over there but i got told its subsidised there might be worth asking around!

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:17pm
Hmmm I will let ya know if it is cheaper...I got it from chemist when TTC and would pay the earth and moon to have a baby lol but can't remember how much it was...more like $40 I think?
I would have a look at the other pregnancy vitamins -don't go with the normal ones as too much vit A. And top it up with folic acid.
What is curious is that here, I had to buy from behind the counter...ie not with the other vitamins.
And Angel, I wouldn't stress about the whole concept of taking multis, I started taking as had low iron from giving blood - I'm a vegetarian and my iron had been fine for years....so sometimes things happen and you need the top up. Nothing wrong with a bit of help especially if it helps the baby.

Oct 11
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:21pm
I used to work for Healtheries, and honestly the Blackmores pregnancy multi has the same things in it ... just take the extra folic acid on prescritption if you're in the first trimester (don't worry if not). It is the same thing, but alot cheaper.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:24pm
PS - Nat - I think the reason it would have been behind the counter is because the level of folic acid in it is actually higher than allowed by the regulations (probably policed more strictly in Oz than here). Thats why the other NZ brands don't have the extra Folic Acid, they're not allowed to legally.

Edited by Nikki
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 11:23pm
You can pick it up for about $AU48 for 100 tablets here at the Chemist Warehouse Click Here Dont forget to include postage.

Or try this site
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
Kirstine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirstine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 7:10am
that is dear - all the chemists i have been to have the 30 for $32.99, not $41

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 12:54pm
Thank you so much for all your thoughts and ideas. im waiting for my midwife to call me back at the moment. Im gonna talk to her about whether first up she thinks i need to go on them and then if theres an alternative to elevit she could recommend. I am already taking perscribed folic acid tablets (have been since i found out i was pregnant). Im hesitant to take blackmores because it has made me sick before. If my midwife says that i should be taking elevit too then we will just bite the bullet and get it. At the end of the day if it really is the best thing for me and the baby then money isnt important really. I was just a bit stunned at the chemist i think
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 1:30pm
You can get the APO-folic acid the same one you get on script from the chemist for $14, which depending on Dr's fees may work out cheaper.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>