FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFetal heart beat doppler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pants View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fetal heart beat doppler?
    Posted: 04 October 2009 at 11:51am
Hi everyone, I'm quite keen to get a fetal heart beat doppler - does anyone have one / can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:02pm
i have one if you want to buy it? wil pm you and you can let me know
Mum to two amazing boys!
Pants View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:14pm
Thanks so much FourEyes, you're such a star - I actually have a friend who's offered to see me hers quite cheaply so if I go for a second hand one I should take her's otherwise I'd feel bad.

I was more just wondering if there were good models out there i should look at or ones i should avoid

Thanks again
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:24pm
no problem:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 3:50pm

Pants I think someone had this going a few months back.

Personally, although I understand WHY mothers may want them, I am of the opinion that it's not a good idea.

You will notice that most (if not all) babies kick the doppler when your MW uses it on you, this is because the soundwaves that the dopplers use upset baby. It's loud and echoy and there are also studies coming out more recently showing overuse of ultrasound and soundwaves on a foetus can cause side effects such as fetal distress syndrome and brain damage.

In saying that, thats just MY opinion but perhaps consider all the possibilities before you go out and spend the money on something that may very well upset your bub.

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 4:43pm
I agree with Carin and also unless you know where baby is positioned it can be hard to find a fetal heartbeat which can cause stress to the mother..personally I just wait until I have my MW appointment.

my MW said that the one she has is $900 and can go up to $1200 so not exactly cheap and even if you did get one that cost that much there is no guarantee that you could find the heartbeat.

Pants View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 7:14pm
Interesting, had no idea there were any side effects. I'll ask my mw at my visit on Tuesday and get her thoughts

Cheers for the advice
lillibit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillibit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 11:08am
I have a angel sounds one from baby4u. Had no problems using it easy to pick up babies heart beat and comes with a adapter so you can record the heart beat too(thou have no tried doing this yet).
lillibit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillibit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 11:14am
also you might want to visit this website I found good describing and has examples of what you might hear.
dopplerfacts
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 1:00pm
I think it's best to just wait to hear hb at midwives appointments, eventually you will be able to feel baby move so would you still use it then?

My mw couldn't pick the hb up until I was 15 weeks because baby is so tiny and has so much space to hide! Worried me a bit at my 11w appointment with her as she couldn't pick it up!

But thats just my opinion, gl and let us know what ur mw has to say about it!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 2:16pm
with all respect guys she was just asking what kinds were good:) some mw's like them some dont ...most i know think the piece of mind makes it worth it for the few seconds you are bothering baby:) for me between 12-15 weeks it was great:)

though i get why some dont like it (mws and some of the above posters:) ) each to their own really..:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 2:37pm
I'd go for one that wasn't too expensive lol haven't had one myself because time went too quick and I think I would've gotten bored using it pretty quickly, so don't have any brand suggestions. I don't have an opinion on whether on not its good for baby either coz I've never looked into it but yeah like KA said its useful for a pretty small period of time so maybe don't spend alot of money on one thats all.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 2:52pm
Sorry thats what I was meaning when I said eventually you'll feel baby move and would you still use it, if you would then it's up to you how much you spend but if you wouldn't really use it then don't spend a whole lot!

I never got one because like Babe said time went by rather quick.
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 4:12pm
I have an angelsounds one too, easy to use, worked well and wasn't too expensive (I can't remember how much it was but I remember it wasn't too much!) And it's easy to record the heartbeat too which is cool. I found it great for that time between the 13 week scan and when I felt movements at 20 weeks, didn't use it much but was good to have it there to use if I started to get paranoid lol.
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 4:28pm
Lol I hear you about the paranoia.

I think a doppler is a great idea, as long as you don't use it too often and don't panic if you don't find the heartbeat right away. I've never used one but I imagine if you're not trained to use one it could be quite easy to miss the heart, especially since it's such a small thing that can run away from the noise!
Pants View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 7:18pm
Thanks everyone!
I think I'd only use between now and when I can start to feel the baby moving and only because right now, other than feeling tired I don't really feel pregnant at all and often wonder if there's still a heart beat.

Have the mw tomorrow so will let you know what she says and what I end up doing
lizzzzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzzzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 1:08am
I borrowed one from my SIL and found it great for piece of mind! I could almost always find it and was able to record it and email it to my parents who live in a different city so they could feel a part of it all I'm with the others though, I only used it sparingly just in case. Also, when bubs was starting to move, I found it really reassuring to check that all was well if he hadn't moved in a while. And lastly, I had to go away for a few weeks to the States halfway through so took it with me as I was feeling a bit more vulnerable over there

Inlove28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inlove28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 11:56am
I agree that I would look for a cheaper option but if you want peace of mind why not get one its your money after all.

Theres always going to be heated discussions on topics like this. I mean some might eat McDonalds every day yet tell us not to use a doppler.... Each to their own I agree!
neivaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neivaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 1:20pm
Another few weeks and your bubba will be letting you know its there :D
I personally don't like to have dopplers used on my baby, but do understand wanting the peace of mind... the thing is, is yes you may hear the heartbeat, but it wont tell you anything other than that the babies heart is beating or you may not be able to hear the heartbeat due to an anterior placenta or a baby that likes to hide and cause yourself even more worry because of this. Sadly a heartbeat doesn't guarantee a healthy pregnancy/baby or guarantee that things aren't going to go wrong.
Have a little bit of faith and trust in yourself and your baby :)

That said there is someone on the Northshore who rents them out ($50 a month I think, a proper one, like midwives use) I never could get the cheapo plastic ones to work, but then i'm not little myself and have a fair bit of tummy fat. I think they are Huntleigh ones :)

Edited by neivaD
Natalie Mama to Miss Pie (04/04) Dude (03/07) Button (06/08) and Thumper (Due Autumn2010)
Pants View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 6:08pm
We we went to see the mw yesterday and I asked her about dopplers. She didn't think there was any harm in using them (or no research so suggest they were bad for baby at least) but did say that some people tend to rely on them too much and can get obsessive using them.

Have decided not to get one, purely because I don't want to worry myself if I can't find the heartbeat one day and I'm like a kid with a new toy, I'd be using it all the time and I don't want to get obsessive.

Thanks for all the posts everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>