FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDentist / Tooth Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dentist / Tooth Help
    Posted: 05 November 2009 at 4:42pm
So i've been having problems with my wisdom tooth for a while now. Last night it cracked down the middle and a massive chunk came away. I'm in revolting pain and no dentist wants to touch me! Does anyone know of a dentist in CHCH that's sympathetic to pregnant woman? Its coming out one way or another, and I'd rather it was in the hands of a dentist than myself!
Also, I've tried every natural remedy under the sun over the last 2 months to try and stop the pain from it, and nothing has worked.
Any help would be appreciated!!
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Sponsored Links

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:29pm
Get some cepacol from the chemist. It is about $13 and is a topical anesthetic mouthwash. That is what I used while pregnant. It really helps.
When you say you have tried all the natural remedies, I just thought I would ask do those include myrrh and slippery elm? Because these are also great, as is clove bud oil.

MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:56pm
No I meant like salt washes, cloves etc. I'll grab some cepacol, that will be good to keep everything nice and clean :D I still dont know what to do about getting it out :/
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 6:07pm
Oh you poor thing. Panadol is completely safe during pregnancy, have you taken some?
Two little girls under 2!

MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 6:10pm
as much as i'm allowed in 24 hours.
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 7:06pm
Id talk to your midwife hun, and see what other pain relief you can have
I got prescribed codeine the other week by my ob, obviously only when needed but yeah, chat to your midwife
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 7:38pm
Why won't anyone take it out - I had fillings with a local anaesthetic while pregnant which I was told was fine, and you'd only need a local to get it pulled out?
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 7:41pm
most probably because they like to xray first especially with a wisdom tooth they need to xray first
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by AuntieSarah AuntieSarah wrote:

Why won't anyone take it out - I had fillings with a local anaesthetic while pregnant which I was told was fine, and you'd only need a local to get it pulled out?

Cuz they like to knock you out totally for a wisdom tooth.
Alex, Thomas and Lily
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by MissAngel MissAngel wrote:

Originally posted by AuntieSarah AuntieSarah wrote:

Cuz they like to knock you out totally for a wisdom tooth.

Mmm I had mine out with a local and it was fine. But I can't remember whether they did xrays, it was way before I was pregnant!

SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 9:29pm
Can you have IV sedation when you're pregnant? Not all dentists do it, but it's not as full on as a general...
Two little girls under 2!

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 9:40pm
Probably not but Kelly might know. I'd suspect they'd only be prepared to do a local. You can wear a iron apron for an xray.
Mum to two wee boys
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 9:41pm
As far as i'm aware they do the 'bite on' xray thingee. last time I had a tooth out thats what the dentist used and it was pretty neat!
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Muz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:05pm
I had mine out at @18 weeks (xmas eve!!) with local at the dentist on cranford street - st albans dentist i think it was called. No xray was taken, but im sure they had xrayed my teeth at some stage in the past!
Maybe they are reluctant in the first trimester?
hannibal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:07pm
Knocked out for a wisdom tooth? I just had a local - and I had a cracked back one earlier in the year and just had a local to have out, I hope you can get someone to help as its a long time to keep it in there!
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:14pm
Tell me about it :p Muz i'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can help!
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:20pm
I only had a local when I had all four wisdom pulled out. kinda wish they had knocked me out lol

also if you have a ccs try the hoon hay dentist! very reasonably priced and if you say its a emergancy they can fix you in, in a day or two
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:29pm
Ta, Tastic.. if I dont have any luck with the one on cranford st, i'll try them. I live in Rangiora so hoon hay is just that little bit further for me to have to drive afterwards ><
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:44pm
ohh of course sorry, I didnt think
maybe ring a few in the phonebook in the morning? Im sure one closer to you could help, if you have a ccs mention it when asking for a quote
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:47pm
just did a quick search on google and have a list of dentists in the christch rangiora area

2 I know won't do it is the oral health one on tuam street (thats the hospital dental who wont do mine till after bubs is born)
and bealey dental. went to them when I was pregnant with bailey and because they didnt/wouldnt take xrays they pulled not only the wrong tooth but broke the one next to it!

Dental Clinics
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>