FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedheart burn!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heart burn!
    Posted: 06 November 2009 at 6:59pm
Anyone had bad heart burn, can't sleep as it wakes me up three times a night most nights!

Drink a glass of milk and it helps, anyone else suffer from this?
Sponsored Links

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 7:24pm
I did with really bad with bailey, was living on milk - drunk anywhere from 2-4 litres per day and mylanta
also found smoothies or milkshakes helped too
Buttersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 7:59pm
Yeah in these first couple of weeks it has been really bad but thankfully eased off now.   I have titrilac which is my new best friend and have a feeling will be throughout my pregnancy

Edited by Buttersmum

my little blobby April 09 "gone but will never be forgotten xx"
JAFAjaffa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAFAjaffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 9:26pm
I have bad heartburn, but milk, yoghurt and smoothies all work towards keeping it at bay. Lucky I really like milk and I went through a craving stage of wanting little other than egg sandwiches and milk. The heartburn has only really been bad since about 30 weeks or so.

I haven't tried mylanta or any other non diary related remedies!! I have heard reports that they work for some people and others not so much.
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 9:40pm

Luckily I haven't had any yet, but I've been expecting it to start any time soon. My sister and law had it real bad she used backing soda to combat the heart burn but it unfortunately caused massive fluid retention

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2009 at 7:32am
I had it very bad, and usually couldn't sleep. Mylanta was my friend (I went through 3 litres while pregnant ), keeping a carton of milk beside my bed, and I was prescribed Ranitidine as well. Apparently apples help as well. We lived on very very very bland and tasteless food for the last 3 or so months of my pregnancy.
Jaxnz1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxnz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2009 at 11:08am
Yip, have had terrible heartburn throughout most of the 2nd and 3rd trimesters

Have also found milk helps, but have to drink chocolate milk as I can't stand normal milk. Also find eating lots of yoghurt helps too.

I took Mylanta for a while, but then went on to Gaviscon and honestly would not go back! Yes, it tastes disgusting, but it definitely works much better for me. Also, try propping up your bed mattress with some books. I have done this and I think it helps a little bit as the flatter I lie the worse it is.
I am so looking forward to this little one being out just so I don't have heartburn anymore!

Oh and apparently bad heartburn means bubs will have lots of hair. Whether this is true in all cases I'm not sure, but at my 35 week scan he said "well she won't be bald!!!" So there you go

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2009 at 1:12pm
Yip bad heartburn here too. Use Gaviscon before bed but try not to use during day unless it is bad, and find that drinking lots of water helps -must dilute things or something!   

Oct 11
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 10:53am
OMG!! I had it so bad with my first, ended up on zantac (ranitidine) which you can get over the counter at the pharmacy or from your doc/midwife by prescription, Losec is now available over the counter too if its really bad... which i know it can be!
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 4:50pm

I'm on ranitidine for it and can certainly tell when I've missed my meds for a dose. If I don't take it twice a day on time I have terrible acid. Was kept awake all last night with it, not pleasant.

For me, yoghurt and milk help.

babybaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 10:44pm
Hi Milo1,

You are not alone. I'm having a really bad acid reflux at the moment. I'm taking the Mylanta tablets. Chew them all the time at work. It helps a lot. You can drink the liquid if you like.

Good luck
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 12:28pm
i'm gonna have to try something other than milk as was awake some of the night last night with it.!

Is mylanta tasteless, as feel sick with the heart burn too.

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 1:14pm
I've suffered badly from it with both pregnancies. It actually gets really painful sometimes. Got the acid reflux to go with it too. I go through so much milk as i find it helps a bit. I have quickeze too which help a little. I've found Mylanta & Gaviscon don't help at all & actually make it worse sometimes. But i know some poeple say they really help.

Not long to go for either of us now Milo.
babybaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 6:26pm
Yeah, Mylanta is temporary relief for your stomach acid. I like the spreadmint flavour, or mint flavour on the liquid. Quite soothing in fact. You have to try it. So you will know. Everybody's case is different.

The stronger one is called losec, but for that one it's better chat with your GP before taking them. It used to be prescription only item.

For me, mylanta is enough. Oh, don't eat too much each meal but eat frequently. It helps too.
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 7:01pm
I get really really bad heartburn and acid reflux.. as others have said, milk and ice cream definitely help and I am craving ice at the moment which is also really helpful

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 10:10pm
Ugh , heartburn , I had it with both , I think it was the worst thing about being pregnant .
I drank lots of milk , and with C I had titrilac, with Ty I had mylanta ...or was it gaviscon, I can't remember .

Thank goodness it goes once the baby is here! (tho with Ty I still had it for the first 3 days post birth)

anyway , my sympathies, heartburn sucks!

escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 2:35pm
By the way, what is the difference between heartburn and indigestion? Are the the same thing or not?

To me, I thought indigestion is the acidic feeling in my throat.

I thought heartburn was when your heart appears to feel tight or a little uncomfortable.

Edited by escadachic

MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 8:50pm
here you go escadachic

Q: What is the difference between heartburn and indigestion? They just seem very similar and in the same area with pain. Whats the difference?

A:Heartburn is a symptom of acid indigestion. Heartburn is a burning sensation generally felt in the chest caused by stomach acids traveling up your esophagus. A sour stomach is abdominal discomfort often accompanied by heartburn. Heartburn is caused by acid reflux - acid travelling back up the eosophagus which burns the inside of the tube causing the pain. The pain is felt in the chest which is why its called heartburn - it feels like its caused by the heart, but its just close to it, not actually the heart. Indigestion is cause by many things - over eating, too much alcohol, too much spicy food, too much fatty food etc. The pain is generally felt in the stomach area. I went to a gastroentreologist this week and asked the same thing. Heartburn you probably know, indigestion apparently feels like a meal that sits there for a long time. I think heartburn is more specifically a burning sensation.... indigestion is more of a fullness, like it says lack of digestion or slow digestion. Heartburn is acid reflux. Indigestion is stomach upset (dyspepsia). The two are closely intertwined and often go together.

Janie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Jaxnz1 Jaxnz1 wrote:

Oh and apparently bad heartburn means bubs will have lots of hair. Whether this is true in all cases I'm not sure, but at my 35 week scan he said "well she won't be bald!!!" So there you go

That's interesting, I suffered quite bad heartburn through most of my pregnancy and my girl had a good head of hair when she arrived!

I lived on milk and Mylanta to help ease mine. Luckily it wasn't too bad in the evenings, afternoons were the worst for some reason.

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 4:39pm
I had severe heartburn my whole pregnancy.

I found nothing helped.

One thing you could try is tilting the top of your bed, put some timber under the posts or something.

i was also told at 35wk scan dd had heaps of hair.

This is Taylah a few hours old

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>