FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLosing mucus plug at 30 weeks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing mucus plug at 30 weeks
    Posted: 20 January 2010 at 11:19am
I think I lost my mucus plug this morning I've had real bad lower pelvic/groin pain since yesterday morning (when I had to run after my 2 year old as he ran onto the road, talk about giving me a heart attack) and this morning (TMI) there was a big snot like substance when I wiped. There was no blood but it was very very snot like and about 5cm by 2cm, not like CM.

I rang the mw, she was with a lady in labour so couldn't talk much - said it's not too much cause for concern (as compared to if my waters broke) but she'll give me a call back later and will see me for a checkup. I have a mw appointment tomorrow anyway. I'm wondering if when I had to run, my pelvis separated more (so painful, could barely walk) cos of all the relaxin preggie hormones, and maybe baby moved down further or something and as a result I lost a bit of the plug.

Anyway has anyone else lost their plug early? If so, when did you go into labour?

TIA
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Sponsored Links

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 11:28am
I didn't lose it quite so early, but mine was at around 37 weeks - was definitely snot like, sounds like yours, a big plug and it was tinged slightly pink - and I didn't go into labour until 40+3 (although apparently my cervix was 'ripe and ready' for about a week before I went into labour). So it could still be weeks away

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 11:30am
Hiya,

I started to get huge plug-like mucus coming away from 37weeks, so not quite as early as you are but they were much the same as what you have described. My MW wasn't too worried at all. She said in her experience it didn't mean labour would begin anytime soon. Turns out she was right - I went into labour at 41+1 wks and only with help to nudge baby along

Imogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 11:35am
Hi,

I had a similar thing at 29 weeks and continued to lose bits of my plug right up until my waters broke at 39+5.

Fingers crossed for you
Proud mummy to two beautiful little girls and a precious little boy <3
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 11:59am
I lost mine at 37 weeks, didn't go into labour until 41+3. Good luck!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 12:38pm
it can regenerate..and does so during the pregnancy..but i think it;s normally just a little that is lost.. ?

How does losing the mucus plug act as an early sign of labor?

Well, it does and doesn't, like so many other signs. It tells you that labor is coming nearer, but does not give you a time-frame. It could be hours, days, or even weeks away.

And here's another little-known fact-it can regenerate. Yep, if you start losing some, it can replenish itself to keep protecting the pregnancy from infection.

from this site
http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/loss-of-mucus-plug.html
Mum to two amazing boys!
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 12:59pm
Ive been loosing mine since about 30 weeks and Im still in one peice like KA said it can actually reform itself
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 1:16pm
Fingers crossed it was just the running that loosened things up and that it doesn't mean anything. I would think if your mw was worried she would have got you to go straight to the hospital even with another lady in labour.

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 2:43pm
Thanks guys, that makes me feel lots better Yeah I think it was just part of the show, not the whole thing. I was feeling rather anxious this morning but all good now and thankfully my pelvis/groin pain is heaps less too. I haven't heard back from mw again but I'm not too concerned cos I have an appointment with her tomorrow morning.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 2:44pm
I started loosing mine at the end of my 36th week (36 + 5 I think it was) then waters broke and labour started at 38 weeks.

ETA I didnt loose my show (blood) until about 10 minutes before Jackson was born.

Edited by rianna08
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 8:25pm

Lost mine at 36 weeks and Leah was born the next day and with Joel was at 38+4 and born the same day.

BuzzyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:28pm
A girl in my antenatal class lost hers at 30 weeks and still somehow managed to go 10 days over due!

I read somewhere that if it's tinged with brown (ie. old blood) it's less likely to mean imminent labour than if it's pinky (ie. new blood). GL

neivaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neivaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:55pm
Ive had bits of mine come out pre 20 weeks this time, and my last pregnancy I lost a huge chunk of it and some at about 29 weeks, didnt give birth till 40weeks2days though
Natalie Mama to Miss Pie (04/04) Dude (03/07) Button (06/08) and Thumper (Due Autumn2010)
 Post Reply Post Reply