FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDo you need a bassinette & a cot?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you need a bassinette & a cot?
    Posted: 24 January 2010 at 9:23pm
Curious.... do you really need a bassinette?

Or can you just use a cot and swaddle them in?
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 9:26pm
Nope, you do not need a bassinet...but they look cute.

Actually one thing I think I would get if I did this again would be a moses basket. I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on this
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 9:30pm
Just trying to keep costs down is all...

I can't get over how expensive cots are!? Then then mattresses? Mattress cover? Sheets? Quilt!?

Same again for a bassinette!

Do people think that cause you're PG you're loaded with cash LOL

May 2012
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 9:33pm
I wasn't going to get a bassinet, was going to put baby straight into a cot, but got a lot of pressure from my family about it being easier to have baby in with dp and I for the first few months so we've now decided to get a bassinet as the cot won't fit in our room with our bed.

Bare in mind some babies don't like bassinets, my mum has told me that I used to scream and cry when ever I was put in it or near it but as soon as I was placed in a cot I would stop.
Manda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 9:34pm
Def dont need a basinette, my DS only lasted 6 weeks in his, he out grew it... he looked so tiny in the cot. I have now sold the basinette because next time i will just go straight to the cot.

The only good thing i would say was it was nice having him closer and the basinette just being right there and i didnt have to get up.. but some people have big enough rooms to have the cot right there

You are certainly right on people thinking you are loaded when you are pregnant.

0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 9:37pm
Definately don't have a big bedroom, but the "nursery" is right next to ours, so we'll be sweet.

Thanks for the info

May 2012
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 10:16pm
I found it really helpful having a bassinette cos it meant we could have bubs in our room - I found it alot easier having him so close to me. It meant that whenever I woke up feeling paranoid, I could just reach my hand out and put my hand on his chest to make sure he was still breathing lol. Also I found I could get back to sleep easier not really having to get up and walk around anywhere.

If you're not planning on having baby in your room, then I def wouldn't bother getting a bassinette though, you can just put bubs straight in the cot
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 12:16am
We went straight into a cot and had no problems. For piece of mind though we have an Angel Care monitor and he is in the room right next to us.

ETA Spelling

Edited by rianna08
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 1:36am
We had a bassinette in our room and then moved Ty into his cot into his own room .
I couldn't not use the bassinette we have, my grandma bought it for my parents when they were preg with me , I slept in it ,my brother and sister did , my cousins did , Caitlyn did , Tyler did and the next one will .
Plus, its beautiful , mahogany wood, and it rocks ,its more like a cradle .

HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 7:25am
We dont have a bassinet and are planning to use the cot straight away. We do have a Qunniy buggy with a bassinet top which people do use for baby to sleep in so we could use that but wont be buying a seperate bassinet.

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 7:45am
We used the cot from the beginning and had no problems :) Bassinets are sweet and I can see how they would be handy in those early weeks but I think they are more of an unnecessary luxury item. They grow out of them so fast.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 8:08am
We have two bassinets, and the girls are still in them now. One was bought for DH's Grandma when she had FIL, and has been used for the whole family, and the second one is one that FIL made to match the first one. We never had the girls in our room though, they wouldn't fit and we would never have got any sleep with the grunting, snoring, snuffling and other little noises they make all night!!

We will be transitioning into the cots very soon though...
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 9:29am
Im going to use a bassinet and cot, however you dont need to buy seperate sheets for the bassinet- its a waste of time and money. Im just using old single bed sheets that I have cut down and hemmed. They are cot size, but you just fold them in half to fit in the bassinet- nice and easy and saves you a fortune. Try a second hand shop for sheets or ask around the family- all mine are practically new, my aunty upgraded to a queen so after. Good luck

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 9:52am
have a look on trademe. I bought our cot there..its a touchwood and cost me $300...then I bought a new mattress. It is lovely and its nice that its done more kids. I also bought our bassinet (a cariboo one with a beautiful muslin drapey thing over the top (the word for it has gone)) and that was only $80!!

I would NEVER buy brand new...but always buy new mattress.
Roses are Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roses are Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 5:24pm
I have a hanging bassinet that fits in the cot - its larger than a normal bassinet but is still cosy. I got it second hand off TM although the cot is new and that way if baby doesnt like it then I can resell it for what I got it for.

In the end its personal preference - go with what you like

Angel March 2011
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 5:46pm
I found only having a cot was fine, he was wrapped and was fine, although he looked so tiny in the big cot.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Aethalia Aethalia wrote:

you dont need to buy seperate sheets for the bassinet- its a waste of time and money.

I second this. I bought cot sheet sets and just folded the flat sheet in half for the bassinette.

As nzpiper said, have a look on TM. I got my Cariboo bassinette on there and it is practically brand new but was a fraction of the cost. Plus the company that makes them sell factory seconds on there.

I loved having the boys in a bassinette, plus it fitted in our room, just!
Lindsey

HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 9:37pm

I had the cariboo gentle motions bassinet in her cot in the lounge (1bedroom unit) I would stumble to the cot half awake feed then stumble back to bed. We also had a spare bed right next to the cot so we could cuddle on there, although I did end up bringing her into our bed most of the time.

Even for cot sheets, I only have one proper set, I use single sheets short sheeted for her in the cot. This was partly because even single sheets from kmart and the warehouse were so damn expensive!

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Linzy Linzy wrote:

[QUOTE=Aethalia] you dont need to buy seperate sheets for the bassinet- its a waste of time and money.

I second this. I bought cot sheet sets and just folded the flat sheet in half for the bassinette.

agree!! and I also have never used my fancy smancy rediculously expensive cot duvet - they seem to swallow babes up and they kick them off any way. If your not using a sleeping bag - which my daughter hated, blankets are just fine

Id love a wooden cradle so beautiful but I spent loads on our cot and cant justify getting one since they are only in it for such a short time, but may get one of those swinging bassinet things that hang over the cot - what are they called??
http://lilypie.com]
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 3:26am
We used a moses basket at first and the cot from about three months.

We were lucky that the cot could fit in our bedroom at first and Joseph staying in our room until he was eight months old. We only moved him then because he learned to sit up on his own and since we then had to take the cot apart to lower the cot base we also moved it to his nursery.

The moses basket was great for the first three months but to be honest he would have been just as happy in the cot right from the start.

My parents bought the same cot so he wouldn't feel too unsettled when he stayed at their house and so he was used to it there.

The moses basket was handy for having downstairs though, somewhere to put him down safely, he could sleep nearby when I was doing housework, so I'd still recommend one even if you do go straight for a cot in either your room or the babies room.

When we were using the moses basket upstairs and downstairs though I could have done with two. It's not easy carrying a sleeping baby up and down the stairs with a moses basket and stand.

As for sheets, we used pillowcases over the moses basket mattress because they fitted over it nicely and for any spits and sicks you could wipe the mess off and then turn the mattress over for the clean and dry side of the pillowcase. Saved changing sheets every single time (and we usually had three or four messy incidents a night at first, so just two pillowcases rather than four sheets.) Our midwife suggested it.

In an emergency though I've used tablecloths as cot bed sheets, single bed sheets, soft towels, anything will do in an emergency.

When Joseph went to the cot from the moses basket we started using the sleeping bags but from about seven months old he's had sheets and blankets. We are told not to use baby duvets until they are a year old but I don't think Joseph would stay under one anyway, he wriggles too much.
Ally and Elisabeth, our stars in the sky, and Joseph, our ray of sunshine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>