FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedManduca vs Ergo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manduca vs Ergo
    Posted: 02 March 2010 at 9:17pm
I was looking at getting an Ergo but then heard about the Manduca and found this comparison of the 2. Has anyone used either of these? Would be interested in feedback, I am leaning towards the Manduca still.

Also where is the best place to get them? I have seen them on TM, is that the best place or can someone recommend somewhere else?
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 10:18pm
Oooh! Pick me pick me! LOL

I have had both, and so far the Manduca is winning hands down.

To be fair though, I will explain a bit more.

I bought an Ergo when DD1 was 18mos, to use for travelling overseas. It was absolutely fine for her, but I didn't end up using it much after the trip. Then DD2 was born and once she was big enough I tried her in it, and it was fine for front carries. Now however, I back carry the majority of the time (she is 7mos), and the Ergo just didn't cut the mustard. It felt looser, and the back panel isn't as tall, plus I didn't like the sleeping hood.

So, I got a loaner Manduca, and that's how it all started... I love love LOVE it so much!

You can get them on TM but the range is limited, I think a few people I have heard of lately have been getting them from Precious Bubba (which I think is an Aussie based site). I got mine from Fancy Pantz but it was their last one in stock (and a ltd edition one).

Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 8:06pm
Hippy Mama how easy is it to use? How do you get baby on your back? I assume that is how I will carry Ben as he is 8mths and probably about 10kg! Does your DD sleep in it while you back carry?
Lindsey

MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 8:24pm
Sorry for the thread jack but is the Manduca a one size carrier like the Ergo where you can attatch an insert for smaller babies?
Lisa mummy to Ryan
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 8:33pm
Linzy - it is easy as to use once you have the straps sorted to the position you want, I generally use the 'hip scoot' (YouTube is good for this) to get her around onto my back as I can't use the superman toss the way I would with my Kozy.

She definitely sleeps in it with a back carry, if she is sleeping that's really the only way I will carry her now no matter which carrier I use (except for a pouch). The sleeping hood helps keep her tucked in as well as acting like a little sun shade too.

MrsH23 - yep it's a one size, although I'm not sure if there is an infant insert out there for it, it is fairly easy to make your own that would do the job just as well as a bought insert.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 8:34pm
From what I have read it is newborn to toddler and any inserts or extras needed for little babies come with it. There are more details on the link in my first post
Lindsey

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 8:36pm
These instructions from the Slingbabies site are for the Patapum, but give you a rough idea of it (getting baby on for a back carry):

http://www.slingbabies.co.nz/Site/Instructions/PATAPUM_ERGO_-_Back_Carry.ashx

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 8:40pm
Oh! I should clarify, it has an inner harness of sorts that folds down, that is for use with newborns - mine didn't come with a head insert or anything but I'm not sure you'd need one... though as I said earlier if you really wanted one they'd be easy to make.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 10:05pm
Thanks Hippy Mama, I really want one now!
Lindsey

skp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 6:28pm
I have one and it is awesome! Been all over the world with us, instead of a big buggy. Our DD was about 4 months when I got it, she is still in the front but I can probably try her on the back now. Its really easy to use and much more secure than the ergo (i think)

Good on you for getting a good carrier and not a crappy baby bjorn and hurting your poor bubbas hips

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 1:37pm
Managed to talk DH into letting me buy a Manduca so ordered it last night before he could change his mind . Hopefully it will arrive early next week, can't wait!
Lindsey

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 3:37pm
Woohoo! What color did you get?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 3:57pm
Black. It was a choice between black and red
Lindsey

lovingmummyhood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovingmummyhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 9:45pm
Awesome!! I've got a black one too and we love love love it!!! Just started carrying DS on my back in the last couple of weeks and OMG can do soooooo much!! Took him out to fix the fence the other day and he slept through it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 9:06am
Yeah I am hoping that Jack will sleep while at playcentre if I put him in there
Lindsey

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 7:54pm
Ooh, I'd so love a Manduca

Where is most cost effective to buy them?

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:23pm
Tm - Precious Bubba sell them through there - $182 for the standard and $220 for the designer version. Fuzzibunz are all sold out at the moment. You could also buy from overseas I guess. With the USD being good, it might work out well.
Mum to two wee boys
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:26pm
Or keep an eye out for one second hand - all my babywearing friends hate me, I got mine on TradeMe for $72

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:31pm
will definitely keep my eyes open for secondhand! Got a good while still to look so maybe I'll be lucky

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 10:03pm
I actually got mine from Precious Bubba directly as opposed to through TM. From what I could see they are the only ones selling them in NZ at the moment, plus I was too impatient to wait for one to come up 2nd hand!
Lindsey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>