FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFun activities -share yours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun activities -share yours
    Posted: 26 August 2010 at 2:00pm
Since I have started an activities group I thought it might be nice to share some of the stuff we do, and hopefully others can share their fun things so that we can try them too.

Our first meetup I made edible finger paint so babies could get involved with painting too. Here's the recipe for those who are interested:

Edible Finger Paint

4 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 cup of cornflour
3 cups cold water
Food colouring
Stir sugar and cornflour together. While stirring, slowly add water and heat over medium heat until mixture thickens. It will thicken further when it cools. Divide into four containers and add food colouring.

I'm not sure how long the paint lasts for, but I've got mine in babyfood jars and it's still ok 3 weeks later.
Sue
See my blog www.gojandal.com/wubboo

Sponsored Links

erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 1:51pm
No ideas so far from anyone else???

I tend to keep cereal boxes and used them to make up a whole lot of masks - monkeys, cats and butterflies for kids to paint with sponges and decorate with glitter. Here's a few that the kids did at activities group today.

Sue

NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 4:06pm
That top left one looks great

One idea I've had is, after the kids have had races on their ride ons, they could then do a car wash and wash their own ride ons! Bound to take up time, burn energy and a great activity for a beautiful summers day
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2010 at 5:10pm
Sounds like fun!

Hang the jolly jumper in the garage or somewhere, put a tray of paint under it, let baby jump in the paint, then put a piece of paper under her instead - and you get a really cute footprinty painting
erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2010 at 12:22pm
Haha Nikki - yes the top left one does look great. Your son is very talented! Love the idea for the car wash!

And T-Rex that's a great idea too. Might try that in the next few days with Briannah
Sue

kiwikid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 4:04am
I have been collecting egg cartons for ages now, they seem like they should be really fun for creating something with but I'm not very arty inclined - can anyone inspire me with what to make with egg cartons???

Where did you get the stencil to make the masks from?? We do the same with cereal boxes but think DS would love the mask idea instead of just painting the life out of them!

Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 12:55pm
What a good idea starting this thread Sue. Funny, I was thinking about txting you to get the finger paint recipe so I can get the girls to do some artwork this afternoon for DH for father's day, when I thought I'd see if there was anything in this section first

I don't have any creative contributions to make yet, but will be sure to add them here if I do.

Missed MC July 2011
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 1:39pm
Kiwikid, you could make spiders, caterpillars and trains with egg cartons.

You can use the bit the egg sits in as the body for both the spider and the caterpillar and then get some pipe cleaners for the legs. Paint them any colour you want.

I had a few 1/2 dozen cartons that I threaded string through so they made a big long train. Perfect size for little people toys (and the like) to sit in and become passengers. We then took the passengers on a very exciting trip passed all these amazing places Hours of fun!
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 1:41pm
Here's another idea.

Put play dough in little containers (like yoghurt containers) and let the little ones go outside collecting twigs, leafs, flowers etc to plant in the play dough. They then have their own little garden
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 3:52pm
kiwikid, here's a spider, caterpilar and butterfly we made with egg cartons...

Edited by erinalba
Sue

Jacobsmumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobsmumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 2:32pm

Oh wow, these all look great.  I don't have anything to add just yet, but will defo come back when I do.  My DS is 15mo and we haven't tried anything arty just yet.

(9lbs 6ozs)

(11lbs 4ozs)
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 2:43pm
At our last PAFT group we made little shakers out of a squashed clear bottle - like a jolly drink bottle. We put a few buttons and beads inside and filled it with water and food colouring! You could also put oil in it, or nothing at all.

Kimnthekids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimnthekids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 8:03pm
This could be controversial (the whole play with food thing) But we have 1 icecream container that is full of rice (whcih we coloured with a few drops of food colouring). DS asks for this daily - i bring it out onto a rug, with an assortment of spoons, bowls, shotglasses(have to find some use for them now! And then will sometimes add something like muffin trays or plastic food etc.
He'll spend up to an hour just mixing and creating
Kimnthekids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimnthekids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 8:06pm
Also changing how you play with something - like with the nicer weather finally - have been doing things like bringing the car collection downstairs into the garden, where DS will make tunnels, use the twigs and leaves to build structures...

ooo sudden thought = making a fairy house like on tinkerbell!!!
erinalba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinalba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 7:05am
Thanks for that Kim - might have to try the rice play. My DS loves 'helping' me bake and loves mixing. Will be easy enough to vacuum up whatever he flings around (which I guarantee he will do).

Huntersmama - I like the idea of putting buttons and oil in a bottle. Should keep DD entertained for a while. Why does it need to be squashed though? Will need to get some more superglue to glue the lid on!!
Sue

NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 7:27am
I love the idea of rice too So easy and cheap, but yet hours of entertainment! I like!!!!
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:12pm
I like the sound of an activities group. Would be a cool way to do coffee group sometime instead of just playing with regular toys (though playing with different kids toys seems to be pretty fun anyway).

Any other activities you've done erinalba? I'm especially interested in ones Briannah can do as my DS is only a couple of months older.

I've ripped out loads of the ideas from my pile of Treasures Mags but many seem a little too advanced for now.

I wish we'd tried the paint in the JJ like you suggested T-Rex, maybe next time.

Edited by chelle
QTMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QTMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 9:27pm
When I can't be bothered with mess. DS takes wa cup of water and a paint brush outside and he paints everything.

Another fun and relatively low mess activity is coffee filter buterflies. Coffee filters cost practically nothing for a big box and then you just colour them with felt pens. When you have finished sit them in a cup of water (about 1cm of water) and watch the colours flow as the ater is sucked up the filter. Let it dry and then use a pipe cleaner to finish the body.

Lisa333133896 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa333133896 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by erinalba erinalba wrote:

No ideas so far from anyone else???

I tend to keep cereal boxes and used them to make up a whole lot of masks - monkeys, cats and butterflies for kids to paint with sponges and decorate with glitter. Here's a few that the kids did at activities group today.

[IMG]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/riffraff914/masks.jpg">

Wev have similar plays "with masks". My boy is big enough (6 y.o.), he is crazy about super heroes, so we make similar masks, my friends and i bought our children such hero belts http://www.supermehero.com/ninja-utility-belt.html and costumes.
Even to the kindergarden our children take similar bags with super heroes...
Mary143082 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary143082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2014 at 12:15am
Edible finger paint? God that is GENIUS! Thank you thank you thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>