FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCasual childcare in Auckland?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kaybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Casual childcare in Auckland?
    Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:24am
Hi,

AM just wondering if anyoen knows of any casual childcare options in Auckland? I come up for work from time to time and am planning on coming up for a week in November, but it's a bit much of an ask to expect family to provide childcare that whole time.

I have found a nanny service that provide childcare but they charge about $18 an hour, so if I can find somewhere less expensive that would be great. We will be staying in Remuera and I will be working in town.

Cheers

ETA

Edited by kaybee

Sponsored Links

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 10:40am
I was looking for childcare for a couple of weeks for a 4yr old so I could do jury duty but could not find a centre that would do it.

Does the place you will be working at have facilities or know of somewhere.

I would inclined to either take the offer of childcare help from family or get on the books for in home care.
crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 1:57pm
isn't there that place in Parnell that was on the news for offering really long hours? Didn't they do casual?

There are lots of vacancies in centres at the moment so maybe you could get in to a daycare.

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2010 at 9:39am
I can only think of shopping mall or gym creche's but I don't know how they would feel about you using it if you were leaving the mall/gym.
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 7:04pm
Maybe in home childcare like barnardos or porse will do casual care?
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 8:21pm
A loooooooong time ago I used the one in the bottom of lynnmall. Not sure the name of it though. It was when DD was 2 and she is now 13 so by long I mean long time ago. I needed to go for a job interview so it wasn't just for the mall.
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:07pm
You could use someone like this - http://www.karitanebureau.co.nz/rates.htm but they are pretty pricey.  Casual childcare is tough to organise unless you go with someone you know.
kaybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:18pm
Thanks for the advice ladies. I tried PORSE but they don't so casual, neither do the childcare centres that I have contacted. Looks like the $18 per hour nanny is the only option, but even that doesn't help as I would still have to provide somewhere for them to look after him!

jazzy - I am going to a conference for 3 days and was also hoping to attend a 3 day training, so need care for 6 days (with the weekend in between) and neither of those places have childcare options.

There is definitely a gap there for affordable casual childcare options if anyone is thinking of starting up their own business!

kaybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:28pm
Oh and crafty1 do you mean that 'kiddie hotel' that was in the paper a few years ago? I wonder if they are still around.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 9:31am
Originally posted by kaybee kaybee wrote:

Oh and crafty1 do you mean that 'kiddie hotel' that was in the paper a few years ago? I wonder if they are still around.

I don't know if that ever got off....would of been great for a lot.

I know Lynn Mall has a daycare & they did take drop ins. there is a centre that does 1/2 days & full days think it was lollipops as they also run a few & it was in Royal Oak.

If you can not find a centre then I would look at home care.
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 1:07pm
try barnardos kidstart they can do short time care as a one off.
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 2:46pm
I think Poppetts offer various options.. I'm not sure of the rates though?
sarahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 9:04pm
l work at Poppetts, our casual rates are similar to other places. Are you staying in a hotel? We often send people to jobs at hotels so its not unusual.
Lulubell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulubell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 8:38pm
Some lollipops educare sites such as at lynnmall do run casual childcare
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 7:49am
Rock My Baby covers times like these. I think the charge is $14 an hour.

www.rockmybaby.co.nz

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply