FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeight loss drugs from Dr...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TwinnyBump View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinnyBump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight loss drugs from Dr...
    Posted: 06 October 2010 at 11:43am
Has anyone tried any of the weight loss drugs from the dr (ie reductil etc), if so which one and what was your experience like, ie did it work?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 1:45pm
I have tried diet/weight loss pills & they do work up to a point but not something I would do any more.

I did try Reductil for awhile but stopped as it gave me palpitation & I felt terrible. A friend used them & lost heaps but has put it all back on now. Not to say you will though.

They suppress your appetite so you don't want to eat.

I don't recommend them as they cost so much & it does not teach you to eat less & healthier.
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 1:48pm
my flatmate is on reductil and it just makes her not hungry which is great but risks screwing your metabolism so its not the best.

zenical absorbs fat from food i think but doesnt change eating habits and stuff so everyone i know has put the weight back on cos they have been in diet mode instead of lifestyle adjustments.

as a personal trainer i have never ever seen anyone successfully keep it off when using pills. doesnt mean its not possible though. i just havent come across anyone who has

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 3:27pm
I've used Duromine (similar to Reductil I think) and it worked, though I only used it for 2 weeks before realising I was pregnant with Caleb.

I think it depends on how you go into it. When I went to see my GP, I had been trying to lose weight but failing miserably and when I got on the scales and it showed no change (or worse a gain) I kept giving up. So I was lacking the motivation to stick to good eating and exercise program.

My GP prescribed me Duromine after taking the time to talk to me about what I had tried. He also stressed that it's not a magic pill and to lose weight I needed to change my habits (that good old equation of eat less/better & move more). He advised me to take it daily for 2 weeks and take note of the amount I was food I was eating and how I felt when full. Then he said to cut back to every 2nd day and slowly wean myself off it (he gave me a script for 2 months).

Like I said I only took it for 2 weeks because I was UTD, but I was able to keep my weight down during pregnancy and 2 weeks after giving birth I was lighter than I was before getting pregnant. And I do think this is because of doing what my GP suggested (figuring out when I had eaten enough etc).

Anyway I do believe that Duromine did help give me some will power, but at the end of the day I had to make the changes to my life for long term benefits.

HTH
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 3:35pm
I haven't tried them though did consider them for like a day when I was at my biggest but in reality I came to the conclusion that it was just a temp fix. Yup I'd loose weight, but it would pile back on. And at the end of the day I wanted to loose weight a healthy natural way rather than screwing around with myself chemically. And I lost over 30kg with a few changes to my diet and exercise and was still loosing weight when I got preg so could have gone further. In a few weeks I'll be back on the weight loss wagon to get to my goal weight but it won't be that difficult because I know what healthy habits I need to stick to.
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 5:12pm
I asked my GP about them and she said the NZ ministry of Health is pushing for them to be banned because of the amount of healthy but overweight people who get prescribed them, then go on to heave serious cardio issues including heart attacks.

so she wouldnt put me on them.
she instead reccomended the Metformin for me, but your on that allready
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 6:44pm
Fen-phen was in some diet pills years ago, think it got banned as it caused heart defects which caused death. That was a big reason I stopped taking diet pills, not that I had been taking them long when I heard that.

I tried xenical yrs ago but the side effects can be nasty. Any oil you have will just run through you & with no warning so you avoid it big time & it was really expensive.

When I was on diet pills & losing weight I got a bit cocky & started eating bad as they were working but when I stopped them, due to money & availability, the weight went back on with a vengeance.

I have lost more weight & kept it off by eating better & walking.
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 3:28pm
I have tried duromine and I hated it. They made me feel really weird. Only stayed on them about 2 weeks.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 8:31pm
reductil has been recalled.

Edited by jazzy
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 10:04am
I heard that on the radio Jazzy - health risks outweigh the benefits!
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 12:11pm
my flat mate is on that. i should tell her

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 1:29pm
I spoke to a friend who is on them & she was told that by the Dr when she was on them that they were looking at pulling them. It was really for people who at long term ion them. She stopped taking them yesterday when it went public. She has lost weight on them, but no more than eating well & walking.

I think diet pills should be avoided cause they can mess with your heart.

When I was on them I had a racing heart & felt horrible so only lasted a few weeks. Not worth it.
Guest_47220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_47220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 8:11pm
looking for a doctor in auckland pref north shore/rodney district who will prescribe duromine if your bmi is over 30. im 162cm tall and 85kgs trying to drop my baby weight now my baby is 7 months old. my doctor is hesitant in prescribing pills. thanks
Tangerine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangerine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 9:55am
Hey I googed it and found this post! Would love to hear more from people as I'm going to doc on wed to talk about weight loss pills.

I'm keen on what mummydee said about it being short term. I would love to hear from anyone whose tried them or is on them.

I'm at my witts end with my weight. I'm 175cm and 123kg (so my BMI is 40.2 and it's suppose to be 30)

Please hellllp
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Guest_91167 Guest_91167 wrote:

I think bodyweight loss supplements should be prevented cause they can clutter with your center.

I am a bit confused by your posts...do you not consider Duromine to be part of it?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Guest_91167 Guest_91167 wrote:

I talked to a buddy who is on them & she was informed that by the Dr when she was on them that they were looking at getting them. It was really for individuals who at lengthy lasting ion them. She ceased getting them last night when it went community. She has dropped a few pounds on them, but no more than consuming well & strolling.

I think bodyweight loss supplements should be prevented cause they can clutter with your center.

When I was on them I had a rushing center & sensed awful so only survived a couple of several weeks. Not value it.

this doesnt gel with the post from you on the other topic about the pills!!???

Kelz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 9:30am
Hi guys, post above deleted - just fyi

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Kelz Kelz wrote:

can I ask why?
Kelz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 11:34am
Originally posted by jazzy jazzy wrote:

Originally posted by Kelz Kelz wrote:

can I ask why?

Hi Jazzy - sorry, only just saw your comment.
I think it was a post made by a dodgey 'member'....can't remember the details sorry.
Rest assured, we seriously don't delete many posts

kim615 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 6:27am
I am currently taking Liproxenol. My GP gave it a go because I wasn't breastfeeding and he saw nothing bad on the list of ingredients. I find its appetite suppression very effective. Now my pregnancy weight is starting to drop. 'Didn't feel any side effects either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>