FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWINZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WINZ
    Posted: 19 November 2010 at 12:30pm

I thought it might be ueful to start a topic on WINZ given that my experience is that everybody gets different information from them .

I rang yesterday because we are really struggling at the moment and I discovered that I'm entitled to something just over $400 in a six month period for food!  When we went in this morning the lady was great (I'm really bad at asking for help!).  I wish I'd gone in earlier.

So, just in case anyone doesn't know...there is emergency funding for food.

Does anyone else know of help available that isn't obvious?

Sponsored Links

Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 1:56pm
That is good to know.

When I went in with my dentist quote she told me that we are entitled to $1600 a year (I think a year anyway) advance benefit payment (have to pay it back) and entiltled to $300 for the dentist that we don't have to pay back.

I find it really hard when going there as they always make me feel like I am in the wrong for needing their help. And I never get any smiles from them. Prob doesn't help that the only times that I have been able to get an appointment has been in the afternoons when DS should really be having a nap, so he is always really grizzly.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 8:53pm
Get a second opinion on EVERYTHING you apply for and get it in writing if you get declined.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 10:06pm
Good idea for a thread!!! I have had nothing to do with WINZ yet but doubt i will be able to go back to my full time job after maternity leave finishes so may have to investigate the DPB road. Actually, theres a question: Whats the first thing you do? Ring them and say hi, i'm a single unemployed parent, give me money to feed and clothe my offspring?
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 8:30am

That's exactly what you do Bowie.  And what I discovered by chance was that they will back pay to the date you first ring them too so make sure that you ring from the moment you think you might be able to claim anything.

The other thing to look at (if you are considering the part time work option) is how it all adds up.  It is much better for me to work part time than to claim the DPB.  It means that I get all the child support paid as well as my part time earnings.  It just pays to play around with numbers a bit.

themummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 10:31am
bowie, apply for the dpb now - they do an abated payment while you are on maternity leave which adds up to around an extra $70 a week!!!

if you dont want it in the future theres no harm in cancelling it
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 11:41am
Really? My understanding was that if i applied for dpb it meant i wasnt going back to work and if i wasnt going back to work then maternity leave would be cancelled. I guess i see what you mean about everyone being told different things!

I am considering taking the full year maternity leave, once bubs is 1 he will be old enough to go back to my workplace (where we live on site) so need to find out if i can go on DPB while i am technically still employed but on unpayed leave.

themummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2010 at 10:07pm
nope im 99% sure you can get the dpb while on maternity leave - how else are you supposed to support yourself when the 14 weeks maternity pay is up? i could be wrong though... if i am im screwed!!! hehe. worth a try anyway, the worst they can say is no :)
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 7:10pm
They pay for pretty much anything.

Food grants, clothing grants, you can get an advance for wood, glasses, dentist, bond for a house, a new washing machine, a bed, a large power bill, heaps of stuff, you just have to ask as they won't tell you.

A single parent friend of mine has told me you go onto Sickness Benefit at 32 weeks, and onto DPB once baby is born, and you get a one-off payment of $1000 to get baby stuff.
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 7:54pm
I could be wrong but I thought that to be eligble for the DPB your employment actually had to have ceased. I think that you can take 14 weeks paid parental leave and then hand in your notice and take the 2 week stand down period (which doesn't always apply, depending on your cicumstances) and go on the DPB. It is worth ringng WINZ and getting an appointment to go through it all though because a lot of the time it depends on your cicumstances and your case manager.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 10:14am
^^ That was my understanding too, which sucks as i fully want to go back to my job - but due to being a single parent and my job being located in a freaking national park hours away from civilization (where there is also no child care) i can't until bubs is around a year old when he can join in the informal parent swap care system they have going.

Why would they deny me a temporary DPB and force me to quit my job? Then i'd have a permanent DPB! That makes no sense...

Fortunatly my boss gave me the number of a woman at WINZ who deals with a lot of staff from my work so she understands the environment better then some random...

Alright! To the phones...
julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 10:37pm
Bowie- i was in a simialr position to you , i was working full time , i took Just under a years maternity leave , for the first 3 months i got paid out maternity pay at the standard rate ( cant remember the exact amount but around about $350ish a week plus accom allowance ) , after the 3 months was up i went on the DPB untill i went back to work . Even if your on maternity leave and legally have a job , if your not receiving money then you cant be expected to livewithout any help therefore WINZ will pay you the DPB untill you decide when/if you want to return to work . Remember you have to keep options open , you may say now you want to return to work shortly after having bubs but then change your mind due to whatever reason when bubs is here . i had decided i would return to work within 3- 6 months of having bubs but this quickly changed when i had a colicy/ refluxy baby who didnt sleep at all and wouldnt let me out of her sight at all , there was no way i could have returned to work that early on .  Also once you are back at work you will be elligible for top ups though IRD ontop of your weekly wage and accomodation supplements .
AngieBabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngieBabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 9:01pm
Yep, my Paid Parental Leave finished end of October but I still have until end of next year maternity leave (18mths allup) and I am currently on the DPB as I have no income.

My case worker pretty much told me, if I need help with anything, give them a call and ask if there's a grant or subsidy that I can have to cover it.
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 2:46pm
Had to go to WINZ today to ask them for advance benefit payment to help me pay my bond. Thought they would only give me the $800 I was entitled to but they actually gave me the full amount, so yay. And the case manager also found out that I am entitled to $47 temp support. So great to get a good case manager for once.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 5:20pm
Bowie, you might be entitled to the emergency benefit. I looked into it when I took extended leave but I can't remember why it didn't work out.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 8:15pm
Thanks Busymum

I have established that i am entitled to the DPB in between paid leave finishing and maternity leave finishing having said that the most unhelpful woman ever (NOT even a case manager, just the woman at the front counter!) told me i can't apply until the paid leave finishes....why can't i apply for it a few weeks in advance so there is no gap between payments?! Will go back another day and hope to strike a different woman.
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 11:39pm
@Bowie Gah, I know who you mean, just ring up and make an appointment, that way you can bypass her entirely.
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 7:04pm
I am also on the DPB, but I am looking for employment because I have tried to move out of where I am and I am getting flack for the rent increasing. Well duh I do live in Auckland.

Thats alright though I hate the DPB I love earning my own money and not be told how to spend it. I wouldn't survive living on my own on the DPB, I really don't know how people do it.

Edited by Natalie_G
nathansmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathansmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 11:01pm
They will also help you with some bills, eg. overdue rent, overdue power bills (not phone bills) and car repairs up to a certain amount that you can't pay. But they will arrange for you to pay this back at so much per week as they do for bond (which they'll pay for you if you need it and moving to another house).

They also pay for emergency baby equipment but it has to be the cheapest around, eg. K mart. WINZ paid for my baby's cot mattress because I couldn't afford it at all!
Stephi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2011 at 6:35pm
I have a question?

Does anyone know what you need to provide to qualify for some food assistance. This week has been soooo stressful with bills and what not (3 all due this week, which isnt normal, just a one off) and I literally only had 40 dollars to spend on food for the whole week :( To make matters worse, my ex SO's (we are still living together for the sake of me being able to stay in this house as I literally have nowhere else to go) sister arrived today with no money and no food.... and she is staying for a week with no money. She told us she was bringing food and money and got here and had neither.....so we now have 3 people to feed on 40 dollars of food :(

So im wanting to go to WINZ and get a food card just for this week. Do you have to brink in bank statements and all that crap?

Edited by StephiG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>