FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDoes domperidone work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SeasideMama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeasideMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does domperidone work?
    Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:57pm
Hi all

I have an 8 week old who has been mixed fed since 2 weeks. He was still losing weight at 2 weeks so we started a formula top up at each feed and have been doing so ever since. His weight gain is now excellent and the midwife has insisted he must be getting a good lot of milk from me as the top ups are only a small proportion of a feed. However I would still like to exclusively breast feed.

I have been expressing since 2 weeks as well to try to get my milk supply up. I have tried both manual and electric pumps but i struggle to get much milk off. I would get about 30mils when I express. One night I got 60mils but only because he had slept for a long period.

The plunket nurse suggested complan so I have been using that as a snack/boost. I have tried to rest as much as possible, let him feed as much as he wants from the breast, drinking lots of water, eating almonds etc My supply is not enough to satisfy him however and he is starting to really pull/get frustrated at the breast as he has a bottle so frequently and the flow with the bottle is faster.

So the plunket nurse suggested domperidone but my midwife was very skeptical. What do you all think? Any stories, (success or otherwise) much appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:02pm
yes it does work, but it varies for everyone, and also can take longer to kick in than others

I found spirulina and natropharm milk flow was a great combination
http://lilypie.com]
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 7:07am
My milk didn't really come in at all with DS2 until I took domperidone, but I did have to be on maximum dose. I've found stressing about your milk supply doesn't help your milk supply. Good luck!
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
mollycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mollycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:41am
Yes! I finally went on domperidone when I went back to work when DS was 6 months and wished I'd done it earlier. I was only getting about 30mls pumping as well and once one domperidone I was usually getting around 200mls per pump.

Some things to note:
My Dr had NO CLUE about domperidone and put me on the wrong dosage. To increase BM you usually need to be on a much higher dose than what is recommended for the actual use of the drug. Here's a
linky.
I definitely got the side effect of abdominal cramps for the first couple of days, but these went away after that.
I found success with 60mg per day (max dose is usually around 90mg I think...)

I used domperidone for around 6 months because i was never able to wean completely off until DS stopped BF at 13 months. As he cut his number of feeds I was able to wean down the amount I was taking.

It was the best thing I ever did to help continuing BF and will definitely have it in mind for next time!

Good luck!

JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 1:08pm
If it helps, my DS is almost exclusively breastfed (we've just gone back to one bottle of formula at night to help him sleep longer) and I can't pump out hardly anything!! The last 3 nights I've pumped when DS would normally feed, and I got about 50ml from both breasts - pathetic! Yet he is growing and gaining fine, so its very true that the amount you pump is not a measure of how much milk you have!
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 8:42pm
totally agree with Jade! my girl is exclusively breastfed, and I get 80 ml max, and thats only frst thing in the morning.

I supplemented 20 to 60 mls at night til she was 3 weeks old
I was worried about her not getting enough and went to the plunket family centre for help - they weighed her before and after a feed and she was getting about 110mls in ten mins!!

They are really helpful if you have a family centre near you, or just your plunket office will have scales for you to do before and after weighs
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 1:24pm
Yeah, I have heaps of milk but struggle with expressing lol....so don't worry that lack of expressed milk = not much milk.

Oct 11
k8harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k8harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 6:12pm
I had a very similar situation and went on it and it's been great - no side effects. Likewise my GP knew absolutely nothing about it and sat there and Googled information about it infront of me. I am trying to wean off it now (bub is 12 weeks). I also no longer need to do formula top ups which we were doing for the first 10 weeks or so and i express once a day (I was doing after every feed where possible).
Vanillabean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanillabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 10:00pm
Firstly, kudos to you for putting in so much effort.

With DS I had supply issues that didn't really respond much to anything. Domperidone increased the amount I pumped from about 5-15 ml per session to 30ml - 60ml.    He was basically getting mostly formula and being topped up with BM. We also had sucking problems because of a tounge tie which didn't really resolve either.

I'd say definitely give Domperidone a go but be aware that it might not make all that much difference.

I really wanted to BF exclusively too but for me it wasn't to be. I ended up giving him most of his sustenance from formula with BF for comfort and bonding.
5x mc, Jan 08, June 08, Nov 08, May 09, April 11

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 10:09pm
yes totally!
We started on it at 3 months after I got mastitis and my supply dropped to 20ml (after getting 100ml easily). It took about 18 hours to kick in for me, and started on 4 tablets a day. We have just weaned off it, but I ahve kept a couple of packets JIC, and if I dont use them then will keep it as a back up for number 2.
Definately give it a go, you wont lose anything

+1 May 09 Angel
SeasideMama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeasideMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 9:27am
Thank you everyone for your stories and advice! Sounds like it might be worth a shot.

Things are progressing reasonably well, with bubs making a really large gain since before Christmas. We have cut out the formula for the night feed in the last two days, that has been exciting.
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 1:28pm
Yay, fantastic news!

The night feedings are great to cut out because your milk is at it's best during the night.
KolinCat198357 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KolinCat198357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 12:01am
I used it to increase supply for my son, and I bought it from bit.ly/1cG6nTg I never had a problem with receiving it, and their prices seem to be more reasonable than most places that I've found. You can also buy it from Canadian pharmacies if you can get a prescription. U.S. doctors are generally not willing to write a script for it since the F.D.A. doesn't approve it's usage. Good luck!
Indigo Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indigo Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 8:16am
Hey, for what it's worth I used it - and I'm almost certain it made me teary and emotional! I googled all the side effects and couldn't find anything to confirm that... But as soon as I went off it I felt much better! Something to be aware of!!
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/47d5e3/%5dhttp://FertilityFriend.com/home/47d5e3/%5b/url%5d
Pam218230 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam218230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 6:59am
I started taking Domperidone at about 7 months pp when I was battling a decrease in supply - mostly stress and schedule related. I saw an increase in 24 hours and after a week or two my supply had nearly doubled. I started at 60 mgs a day (90mg is recommended), and have since weaned to 30 mgs.
 Post Reply Post Reply