FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOvercoming depression

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MelandBri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelandBri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overcoming depression
    Posted: 21 July 2011 at 3:13pm
I've recently had my 3rd child.
When my 1st was born I felt quite down, but I didn't have any help as was living overseas and just as I realized I might need some outside help I had an appt to see someone and then had to come home as FIL was sick. Then we were back home a mth later for the funeral. So was really busy and everything to do with me got put aside and forgotten about.
Then when my 2nd was born she was a terrible sleeper, I was severly sleep deprived. I ended up seeing a mental health nurse who wanted to put me on anti depressants but I didn't want to so just put it down to being so tired.
Now my 3rd DD is nearly 3 mths and I'm feeling so low. But I have no reason to. She's the perfect baby, doesn't sleep so well in the day but sleeps 9-11 hours at night. She's such a happy wee girl. I started off feeling amazing, I couldn't have felt better. Bit now I'm feeling so down and really unmotivated. And everything is too much effort for me when it comes to the girls.
Now I'm thinking I've possibly had depression mildly after each pregnancy. I'm seeing a very similar pattern.
What ways can I overcome it and manage easier?
Sponsored Links

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 9:54pm
MelandBri, I think you should reconsider the antidepressants. I know its hard but they helped me so so much to get on top of things and feel a little better. They are not the miracle cure but they made me feel more even, not so high and low, just steady so I could better face each day. I think of them like my little helper to get through the day and I won't be on them forever. Why suffer if you don't have to... but that's a very personal decision.

I reccomend having some counselling to look at why you might have gotten depression after your babies or even just to understand what happened and how you felt and why. I had 4 free sessions of counselling funded through my GP, maybe see if there's something like that for you? As it can be hard to understand the feelings of being depressed when you're meant to be so happy.

Also exercise has been huge, getting out for a walk on my down days, having something to focus on otehr than the way I feel. And having small goals to achieve for myself. And time away from the baby every now and then.

Also come join us in the how is everyone coping section, we chat about how we're feeling and help eachother

I hope that helps a little
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
MelandBri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelandBri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 10:14pm
How do you motivate yourself to exercise? Every day I tell myself I want to go for a walk, but then I always manage to come up with an excuse.
Anti depressants aren't really an option for me. Luckily I seem to have overcome this on my own the last 2 times. I think some support would really help :)
Thanks for replying
Rosesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 3:30pm
B vitamins and maybe a natural anti depressant like St Johns wart may help. I have took these many times and they are definitely non-addictive. I have also taken prozac and so believe me when I say St Johns wart are very mild and non-addictive and may just give you the lift you need. Also look in to other herbal remedies or essential oils. Maybe ask the doctor for some test too see if you are particulary low in something like iron. A zinc supplement would also be good maybe.
 Post Reply Post Reply