FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedClinicians Expert Chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Clinicians Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Hopes Hopes wrote:

One from me, even though it's also not relevant at the moment. Can you have too much folic acid? I was taking the pills prescribed by Dr 0.8 mg, and also a womens multi and Exec B tablets which both have folic acid in them, and wondered.

Hi there,

As folic acid is water soluble, you excrete most of what you do not use - so it is unlikely taking what you mentioned above that you are taking too much. Having said that - mega mega mega dosing with relevant health advice is unadvised.

Clinicians - Naturopath

WIN free Clinicians product, 'like' www.facebook.com/clinicians and post on our wall that you are from OhBaby!
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 10:13am
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

I would like tips on boosting my immunity as a breastfeeding Mum.

DD has ezcema and a family history of asthma and hay fever, is there anything I can do to support/help her little body?
(I've taken her off dairy till she's 12 months)

Hi Cali and Jack,

The short answer is their is heaps that you can do. The best approach is to find an trained qualified alternative health practitioner to have a sit down face-to-face chat with, as they are a few more factors involved, and space does not permit me to go into them.
The health of the lungs is set by the health of the gut and its lining and various biological processes. Use of probiotics, colostrum and essential fatty acids is highly recommended.

Clinicians - Naturopath

WIN free Clinicians product, 'like' www.facebook.com/clinicians and post on our wall that you are from OhBaby!
Cazbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cazbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 1:15pm
Hi, I'm a breastfeeding Mum (twin girls 14weeks) and was wondering if I can take any kind of insulin balancing supplement? I've heard Clinicians have a good supplement? I have PCOS and have always suspected I suffer from an insulin imbalance. Also can you recommend a good naturopath on the North Shore for my myself and my children, we live in the Bays. Thanks
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 1:54pm
Hi
I have a 2.8 year old who is very prone to chest infections. Is there anything we can take to help avoid them?

Thanks

Jessenia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 7:00pm
Hi ya I am just over 14 weeks and am having very bad back pain, i have always had a bad back and one of my lower disk's are out of place or some thing, I am worried that as i get bigger it is going to get worse. anyway my question is what can i do to help the back pain, is there any exercise etc i can do?

Thanks
_melissa_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _melissa_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 7:43pm
Hi there, Ganett wrote a question about thrush... I'm also interested in any idea's on how to help. My Daughter was born 2months premature and among other things had I.V antibiotics which was part to blame for a bad dose of oral and vaginal thrush. Six months on we have finally sorted her mouth but she still has discharge and a rash on her bottom, we have used many antifungal creams and continue to use probiotics but cant get on top of it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:11am
Originally posted by im1hotdiver im1hotdiver wrote:

any advice on what to give a child with diahorrea? she is otherwise well... she just has been 'going' before she even knows it is coming? She is 5

Hi There,
My mum used to make me eat dry cabin buscuits and drink boiled water. However there are some better things you can do. Make sure it is not loose bowel motions - diarrhoea stings the anus and it normally associated with a gut bug or other gut condition. If it is ongoing I would suggest using probiotics.
Clinicians Multiflora is a good general support for gut health.
Of course if the symptoms persist then make sure you see a health professional.

Shane^Naturopath/Herbalist
Clinicians - Naturopath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Jessenia Jessenia wrote:

Hi ya I am just over 14 weeks and am having very bad back pain, i have always had a bad back and one of my lower disk's are out of place or some thing, I am worried that as i get bigger it is going to get worse. anyway my question is what can i do to help the back pain, is there any exercise etc i can do?

Thanks

Hi Jessenia,

One thing you can try is to sit backwards on a chair and lean over the back of the chair. Have someone press on both of your hips. Get them to apply the pressure as if they are pressing toward your spine from the side of your hips. This should help take a little of the pressure off your lower back and sacrum which is most likely where the pain is being referred from.
I would recommend ringing around some of your local osteopaths to see if they can offer you some ideas as well.

Clinicians - Naturopath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:17am
Originally posted by _melissa_ _melissa_ wrote:

Hi there, Ganett wrote a question about thrush... I'm also interested in any idea's on how to help. My Daughter was born 2months premature and among other things had I.V antibiotics which was part to blame for a bad dose of oral and vaginal thrush. Six months on we have finally sorted her mouth but she still has discharge and a rash on her bottom, we have used many antifungal creams and continue to use probiotics but cant get on top of it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Hi Melissa, Probiotics would be the first thing to suggest, as the antibiotics your daughter was given may kill good as well as bad bacteria. Different probitiotics prefer different areas of the body. So our Multiflora product can help repopulate the digestive system, whereas the Flora Restore bacteria prefer the vaginal and bladder areas. Both these areas will need good bacteria to help restore the balance when bad bacterias and yeast have taken over. Peptical colostrum spray also helps support the immune system. Jane Naturopath
Clinicians - Naturopath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Cazbaby Cazbaby wrote:

Hi, I'm a breastfeeding Mum (twin girls 14weeks) and was wondering if I can take any kind of insulin balancing supplement? I've heard Clinicians have a good supplement? I have PCOS and have always suspected I suffer from an insulin imbalance. Also can you recommend a good naturopath on the North Shore for my myself and my children, we live in the Bays. Thanks

Hi Cazbaby,
Congratulations on your twins. As you are breastfeeding you could take PregaVit, which will provide nutrients as you have two mouths to feed. Also it contains chromium which is a mineral associated with cell sugar metabolsim. I cannot put names on this forum for naturopaths, but if you email me on jane@nhlab.co.nz I will send you some information.
Jane Naturopath
Clinicians - Naturopath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:38am
Originally posted by kellie kellie wrote:

Hi
I have a 2.8 year old who is very prone to chest infections. Is there anything we can take to help avoid them?

Thanks

Hi Kellie,

A child's chest health is often related to the health of the gut. They think there is a link there becuase the tissue that lines the gut and the tissue the lines the lungs are derived from the same embryonic tissue. So one suggestion is to look at ways you can support the gut and support the immune system.
Clinicians Multiflora supports gut health and probiotics have a reputation for helping the chest.
Clinicians Del-Immune offers support for low immune response.

Clinicians - Naturopath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Sophiehnz Sophiehnz wrote:

Hi,

I am a Celiac and I have a son who is 9 months - I do not know if he is a Celiac yet (I myself was not properly diagnosed till my mid twenties) but I think I can have him tested from when he is a toddler... Anyway I am wondering if until he is tested should I just give him gluten as I kind of feel what is the point in not allowing him to have it if he is not a Celiac and also when they do the testing, you need to have gluten in your system?

Thanks Sophie

Hi Sophie,
The test for a celiac is a real simple blood test. In fact I know a few years ago some health food stores were selling the blood test kits. Check that out and when ready you can maybe test it yourself.
I would love to see a gluten free world. I am assuming that the reason for wanting to give him gluten is convenience - and having kids I understand this. However if you are celiac, then you should have lots of food ideas to feed him. Rice and veggies, and fruit still goes a long way at nine months. I am a fan of not overloading young children's digestive systems too early.

Clinicians - Naturopath

catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:06am
My 4 month old daughter has been diagnosed with reflux. She breastfeeds at night and drinks refulx formula during the day. I am expressing milk but she refuses to drink my milk out of the bottle, or breast feed during the day for some reason. I think she breast feeds at night okay cos it is is bed with me and she can take her time easily. Three questions:

1. Could it be she associates the taste of my milk with a more adverse reflux reaction?

2. Can I add gaviscon to my expressed milk? Is it safe to give gaviscon and the renitidine (spelling?) we have been prescribed.

3. Are there any foods i should avoid that could be passed on my milk that make things worse?

Thanks

EcobubMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EcobubMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:23am
Hi - I have a 6 mth old who has been getting constant reinfections of bronchiolitis, she was born quite premature. (7 wks) Are there any natural products i can give her (vitamin c etc) that could help boost and bolster her immune system to prevent these infections form occuring? Thanks so much :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by catisla catisla wrote:

My 4 month old daughter has been diagnosed with reflux. She breastfeeds at night and drinks refulx formula during the day. I am expressing milk but she refuses to drink my milk out of the bottle, or breast feed during the day for some reason. I think she breast feeds at night okay cos it is is bed with me and she can take her time easily. Three questions:

1. Could it be she associates the taste of my milk with a more adverse reflux reaction?

2. Can I add gaviscon to my expressed milk? Is it safe to give gaviscon and the renitidine (spelling?) we have been prescribed.

3. Are there any foods i should avoid that could be passed on my milk that make things worse?

Thanks

Hi there,

As a naturopath I would suggest a course of probiotics for bubs. The friendly bacteria in the gut are supposed to help create an environment where the acid in bub's gut is balanced out.
Do you know what and why the reflux is there? IE is it from a problem with bub's valve into the stomach? Were they premature or C-section?

I would do everything possible not to give my child gaviscon etc unless absolutely needed.

In terms of certain foods being expressed through your milk, the research is very little in this area, however in my experience in clinic, it appears to be very common. Major suspects are gluten, sugar, and excessive animal flesh consumption (increases your body acidity) - but it could any of numerous things.

Clinicians Multiflora capsules opened and sprinkled into the formula and the like will help support gut health.

Clinicians - Naturopath

catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:28am
Thank you - she was born by c-section at 36 weeks (i was induced due to a liver condition i developed in pregnancy)

Is there anywhere you can direct me to research/trials on the Multiflora capsules or further info about them?

Why do you say that about Gaviscon? Some reflux mothers i have spoken with seem to be told to try that before the renitidine.

thanks again for the answer

hennypenny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennypenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:29am
My 5 month old twin boys have shown to be intolerant to dairy and soy so are on goats milk formula, would a lactose free formula be suitable? I have also given up dairy while breastfeeding and its been like having new children they are extremely settled less windy less grumpy etc. Also cleared up their dry skin too, just worried that if I try something different we will be back to square one.
SJP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:32am
I am due in a weeks time and wanting something that is going to help me recover from birth, either c-section or natural, want to also keep energy levels up, have suffered depression in the past and don't want to get to the stage where that happens with a baby.
SonyaM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonyaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:34am
Hi there,

We have been trying since our daughter was 9 months old (now 22 months) I have got endo, had lazer treatment and concieved 6 months later. I ther anything i/we can do to help our chances again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clinicians Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by PEANUT2010 PEANUT2010 wrote:

I have suffer chronic sinusitis, I am also trying to conceive so would like to take a natural approach to treatment.
what would you recommend
Marie

Hi Marie,

First thing I would do for chronic sinusitis is to cut out dairy. It is mucous forming and if you have a history of having a blocked nose it may be that you have a sensitvity. If you have green/yellow mucous I would suggest Xylitol nasal spray, if you just have a blocked nose and clear discharge I would try MSM Nasal Spray. I would also suggest if you are trying to conceieve then Pregavit to provide a sound nutritional basis.

Jane Naturopath
Clinicians - Naturopath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>