FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIVF in Dunedin/Otago Fertility Services

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Tulo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IVF in Dunedin/Otago Fertility Services
    Posted: 20 May 2012 at 7:16pm

Edited by Tulo - 30 September 2012 at 2:36pm
Sponsored Links

lala1739 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lala1739 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:26pm
Hi Torlu
I am currently 31 weeks pregnant after my first round of IVF with OFS - primary consultant was also WG. I travelled from Invercargill. Here's a quick rundown of our travels through to Dunedin:
May - appointment where we were advised qualify for public IVF and booked for egg collection end of October
August - appointment for consent forms, blood test results and sperm analysis
mid September - visit with nurses for drug education and collection of drugs. Started injections for long protocol end of Sept
October - ultrasound scan and visit with nurses to discuss results, given trigger injection and date for egg collection. 2 days later visit for egg collection (31 Oct), 3 days after egg collection had a 3 day embryo transfer.
I got all blood tests and also my pregnancy scans done locally. They should give you an estimated day of egg collection which should help with planning time off work. My partner came for the egg collection and transfer but not the drug education or ovary scan. You should check out the IVF chat thread regarding the facebook group - a few from Dunedin/Southland area and it is amazing support!!! Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other q's and good luck!
TTC #1 since Aug 09.
Me 29, DP 37
Lap Jan 11 - Stage 3 endo
IVF #1 - October 11 - BFP!!! Due July 2012 :)
lala1739 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lala1739 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:36pm
PS Think you could also apply to get some travel costs reimbursed (think its 28c a km, or contribution to hotel)- ask one of the OFS staff (I didn't find this out until too late).
TTC #1 since Aug 09.
Me 29, DP 37
Lap Jan 11 - Stage 3 endo
IVF #1 - October 11 - BFP!!! Due July 2012 :)
Leanabh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanabh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 1:48am
Hi Torlu and Iala1739
I am in Central Otago too and am wondering about timeframes.
We were referred to Dunedin in March and are still awaiting our first appointment. How long were you waiting?
If we are accepted for public funding, how long before treatment starts?

Thanks
punkin_27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkin_27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 12:27pm
Hi Leanabh
I am from Gore and am also doing IVF through O.F.S with Barbara Williams. We are booked in for April 2013 to start the drug program.
We were referred to Dunedin in September 2011 and got our first appointment in May 2012. In June/July 2012 I had an HSG and laparoscopy to diagnose what was going wrong with us conceiving. We had an appointment last month (September 2012) to book us in for publicly funded IVF in April 2013.
Hopefully this information is helpful - if you have approx the same waiting times as us you should hear from them soon - I have my fingers crossed for you!
Marg99059 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marg99059 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 6:06pm
Hi we have completed oe ivf round, we were initially booked for April 2011 then shifted to sept 2011 as we had a chemical preg and docs were away on leave. When u start u go on pill and then they tell u when to start first injections for a week then off the pill for AF then more injections. You will be booked for a week, scan and bloods week before then timing depends on how u are going. We had to be un duners on frii and mon for scans and bloods, tues for gg collection and fri for transfer but u are only told each day what the go I. We booked a holiday home which owner let us pay for only the nights we were there.
We have just started our second cycle we were booked for sept but bloods not right, starting injections on thurs!
Punkin I have had accupunture this time round from Nora as east physio she is amazing!
Leanabh i old book a private appt as only have to wait a couple of weeks it's about 180 through barbara Richards, when I book public apps usually have to wait five months and can only go on a tues
hope this helps
punkin_27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punkin_27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 12:34pm
Hi Marg99059
Thank you very much for the tip about Norah. I have wanted to do acupuncture but wasn't sure where to start and wasn't sure if a physiotherapist would do acupuncture for that type of thing.
Did you see her for symptom management, relaxation, or something else?
Would love to hear back from you.
Mjc121 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjc121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 4:37pm
Hi punkin
I stArtec four weeks ago as heard through a co worker how good she was with helping mood swings before her period. So I thought I round go as could not do any harm and went to her for no particular reason. I have been every five days for last three weeks and start injections on Thursday for our ivf round. Nora would of preferred to see me three months before once every week or fortnight.   I usually ovulate day 21-23 this month I ovulated day 17 this month which is a huge change also feeling like I have more energy and not as stressed. She Also gave me some iron, vit c and magnesium to take. It's fifty dollars a time. I only wished I knew about her earlier!
Ps changed my username!

epictraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epictraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:58pm
HI ladies
We have our first appt with Barbara on 14th Jan. I think we will probably be trying Clomid but I just wondered about costs etc associated with doing a cycle of Clomid and doing a round of IUI privately etc through OFS? Also is there a waiting time for these? We have been TTC 13 months, well, 14 when we see her and I don't think we are eligible for public funding until 18 months so we would be paying privately till then.
Thanks in advance!

Angel babies April 2013, Nov 2013

IVF #1 Nov 2013-CP
IVF #2 May 2014-BFN
IVF #3 Feb 2015-BFN
DS Jun 2015-BFN
Oct 16 -Natural BFP!

TTC #2
Mjc121 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjc121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 2:42pm
Hi clomid is free and iui is 800 dollars a cycle. You will also need a scan which is free in Dunedin but if you are like us and live a couple of hours away it might be easier to pay for a local scan of 120 I think. Hope this helps? We have had ten iui cycles. Good luck?
ThistleFern View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThistleFern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 2:47pm
Hi epictraveller
We see Barbara at OFS too. We qualified for public funding for the clomid cycles so just had to the pay the prescription charge so not sure about other costs associated with it. We just did a privately funded round of IUI last week though and were told it would cost around $780. I think this includes everything but they don't bill you until after the cycle so we'll find out for sure then. If it hasn't worked it's going to feel pretty awful handing over that money for nothing. There's no waiting list for either of these treatments if you're paying for it so you should be good to go whenever you're ready :-)
Good Luck!
TTC since Feb '10
Unexplained infertility

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epictraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:16pm
Hmmm that's not as bad as I expected. I think I'd rather pay in advance though so it doesn't hurt so much if it doesn't work!
So thistlefern you must be in your TWW now?! Really hope its a BFP for you!
Mjc sorry to hear IUI hasn't worked for you. What's next for you? Are you waiting for IVF?

IVF #1 Nov 2013-CP
IVF #2 May 2014-BFN
IVF #3 Feb 2015-BFN
DS Jun 2015-BFN
Oct 16 -Natural BFP!

TTC #2
Mjc121 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjc121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:28pm
I'm not sure you can pay in advance but you have to appointments two hours apart so we usually go downstairs and pay then otherwise you have up to three weeks to pay. Iui worked two times for us but miscarried both times. We have just completed our second ivf round and now on the dreaded two week wait.
You can also trade one ivf cycle for four iui cycles but wouldn't recommend as an ivf cycle is about 12000 and includes any frozen emb transfers as well.
Thistle fern good luck and yes it's the worse bill to pay as it usually comes the week or two after the bfn, if you can afford it and u have to do again just ask nurses for piece of paper to go downstairs to pay, yes it is just under 800 dollars - all the best hopefully it's one bill you don't mind paying!
I have a long cycle and usually use two boxes of opk which cost 80 each in shops which is included in 800 iui cost. We have only used these in last couple of cycles as getting bloods done every day for a week which was a two hour return drive was getting a bit much.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThistleFern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:29pm
Yes, I'm in the dreaded TWW now. 1 week down and 1 to go. I'm trying to stay positive and tell myself that there's nothing wrong with me so there's no reason why it shouldn't work which is difficult given the success rate is pretty low. It has to work for some people though so focusing on that.

Mjc - 10 IUI cycles is pretty heartbreaking. Am I right in thinking from the above posts that you are on your second IVF cycle now? Hope it's going well and you get your BFP soon.
TTC since Feb '10
Unexplained infertility
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThistleFern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:31pm
Sorry Mjc - we posted about the same time there. Good luck with your two week wait. When will you find out?
TTC since Feb '10
Unexplained infertility
Mjc121 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjc121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:40pm
Thanks thistle and good luck i know lots that it has eorkec first timr! yes on ivf no 2 find out on 27th. And yes iui does work, it worked on no 3 and 4 times for us but I had been seeing a alt doc who made my thyroid toxic and toxic cortisol levels after been put on hormone supplements after seeing encrinologist this sept found this out after losing two bubs, then 6 failed iuis, one failed ivf and 2 failed fet. Now my thyroid And cortisol levels are good am hoping for some ducess on this ivf round. It has all been very frustrating and a very long four plus years of trying! We have a almost five year Los who was conceived first month trying!
Mjc121 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjc121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 3:40pm
Excuse terrible spelling, hard to type on iPad
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThistleFern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 4:48pm
I find out on 27th too Mjc! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. You've been through so much so hopefully it's all sorted now and this time will work. I have a friend who had success on her 2nd IVF so every time is definitely different. We're coming up for 3 years of trying for #1 and have had nothing at all so I understand your frustration.
TTC since Feb '10
Unexplained infertility
Mjc121 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mjc121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:26pm
funny! Bring on27th for us, are u doing bloods? I plan to but knowing me will try hpt a couple of days before. One thing I feel has made a difference is accupunture i ovulate day 21 and since going has shifted to day 17,
Good luck try and enjoy Xmas!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epictraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 8:31am
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for both of you for the 27th!!
Mjc who do you see for acupuncture? is it specifically fertility acupuncture?

IVF #1 Nov 2013-CP
IVF #2 May 2014-BFN
IVF #3 Feb 2015-BFN
DS Jun 2015-BFN
Oct 16 -Natural BFP!

TTC #2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>