FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHaving a child when my partner is in the army.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Butterflykisses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterflykisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having a child when my partner is in the army.
    Posted: 20 April 2014 at 4:12pm
My fiance is in basic training now and we are getting married when he is finished. I want to have a baby but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea or not. If/when he gets deployed it will be hard enough for me to deal with by myself but if I have a baby then he won't get to see his dad for periods of time. Anybody been through this? I'd appreciate any advice :)
Sponsored Links

Mary143082 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary143082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 11:40pm
Hey. Unfortunately, I haven't been through this. I have been in a long distance relationship though. So while it doesn't really count as much, it's something. It is really, REALLY hard to raise a child on your own. Physically with all those hormones doing their dance, it will be an emotional rollercoaster. Plus, your kids are only young for such a short period of time. And to not have someone around for the first few years, when their growth is the fastest - sigh. If I were to be honest, it's not for everyone.

However, your child will grow up with incredible love from not one, but two parents who are present in the best way they can be. That's more than a lot of kids have these days.

I'm sorry I can't be much help :( What does your fiance think?
Brooke144289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brooke144289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 11:20am
I haven't been through this personally but have a close friend who has. I think it takes a very strong woman to do this. She seems to have coped fine, they keep in regular contact via Skype. However, her husband has only been able to be at one out of 3 births. She has a lot of support links from family and friends. She basically is like a solo mother at times and I really take my hat off to her!
 Post Reply Post Reply