FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbaby not happy unless held and walked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: baby not happy unless held and walked
    Posted: 08 June 2014 at 4:20pm
Hi, my 2 months old baby is happy only when being held and walked. The minute I sit down he starts crying, he stops as soon as I get up and get walking.
I dont know what to do. My back is killing me!
He likes his play gym and mobile etc but for very short periods of time.
Any advice would be great! Am going crazy!!!
Sponsored Links

Apfel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apfel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 9:53pm
My sister in laws baby was like this but liked a vibrating bouncer which she could also giggle with her foot when sitting.
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 1:52pm
I got a bouncer but he doesnt like it much. 2-3 minutes and he starts crying.
Might try one of the electric ones.
Apfel84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apfel84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 1:55pm
If you have a pram you could sit and push that back and forth. A bit more movement than the bouncer. Hope you find a solution!
Guest_68288 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_68288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 2:35pm
My now 5 mth old was like this. He was also very squirmy, so much so my DH nicknamed him wriggles. After a lot of consultation with my Brother in Law, who is a Neonatologist, we put him on omeprazole for acid stomach or silent reflux. He was not a spiller, and showed no signs of aid or reflux other than his absolute preference for being upright and on the move - which is exhausting. Now he is fine and happily plays on his mat, in a bouncer, and will sit on a lap. I and not sure if he just out grew it or the medication did the trick, but it is working. We give him the capsule granules with pear (after trying every possible was to get the granules down him!).
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 2:36pm
Tried that and doesnt work...
I hope so too because is hard work and cant do anything unless he is asleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_68288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 2:38pm
Ps. We also used a front pack and sling during this time, which helped and enabled me to do things... Like care for a toddler! It took about a week to see a difference after the medication.
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 2:42pm
Thanks guest. I will talk to my GP or plunket nurse and see what they think. We do have issues feeding and he gets wind and burps and spits hours after being fed.
I give him infacol before each feed. Not sure if it is working. Am going to try colic calm next.
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 2:45pm
I have a front pack but again, he is happy for a short time. Maybe he is just fussy and will grow out of it. He has been doing this for 3-4 weeks. He was not like this before...
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 3:10pm
I'm yet to have a child but my friend had issues with her boy and colic which was helped by her cutting out dairy completely - almost over night he was a different child. No idea if it will work for you but just throwing it into the ring! I hate to think of you going mental and getting exhausted!
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
IVF3 Angel baby born 22.3wks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_68288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 3:22pm
I used infacol for a while as well, but was not convinced it made any difference. After talking with my GP and BIL they both doubted the efficacy of wind medication. I did find helping my LO to fart helped... And we tried everything! Most effective was just holding him in what we call the poo position. Knees up in a simulation of a squat. My DH is certain it is the omeprazole that has done the trick. We don't take medication lightly. I discussed my diet with the Drs and their opinion was that unless you are consuming something that effects your blood, as this is the direct link to breast milk, then it is very unlikely to be affecting baby. Good luck, I completely understand your situation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_68288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 3:23pm
PS Weleda Colic powder did help a little, directly after feeds.
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 3:41pm
Thanks girls! Am not breastfeeding. He wouldnt latch, so had to use nipple shields. It worked for a while but he wasnt stimulating my breasts enough so my milk supply dropped big time by the time he was 4 weeks old. I never had much help from anyone (from the day he was born) regarding breastfeeding. He wouldnt latch so midwife at hospital bruised my nipples trying to get colostrum for bubs and everything went down hill from then. I tried very hard an am still trying. Feeding time is something I dont enjoy at all. So he gets formula, I use anti-colic, slow flow teats but he seems to swallow air bubbles anyway.
It is very frustrating and upsetting.
So if you have issues feeding your baby from day one make sure you get help.
I wish I had done something but was naive... First time mum here....
Will def be different next time.
I thought hospitals had lactation consultants to help??? And got discharged from hospital even tho my baby wasnt feeding properly... Oh well, too late now.
Sorry about my rant, its just hard when you know your baby is not 100% happy...

Edited by SouthKiwi - 09 June 2014 at 3:44pm
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 11:13am
We also used Omneprazol for silent reflux. We also cut dairy out of my diet (both were required).
As a note, then pediatrician who prescribed the reflux meds only did so to 'shut up' the first time mum, and he also spoke poorly of diet changes - so it really is a case of fighting to get help when you as a mum know there is something wrong. We also tried gripe water and infacol, but neither helped in our case. There is a thread in the Wisdom Wednesday forum on colic/reflux where a couple of mums recommend another more natural product I've never heard of before that they swear by, so could be another good thing to try? We didn't want to medicate, but when everything else failed we did, and it really saved our lives (went from 4 hrs of broken sleep each night to a good 7 hrs sleep in 3 hr blocks!, plus got our happy child back).

Diet-wise, our son did not have nice yellow mustard seed type poo, which was also a huge indication that he was reacting to my diet. I don't know if your sons poo is nice smelling or not? If it isn't reasonable, I guess you could try changing formula? 

I hear you on the lack of breastfeeding help. My son wouldn't latch to start with, though after I held him on me to sleep I got him to feed after that. Though ended up with a cracked nipple that got very bad thrush in it which caused agony when I fed until I took the thrush tablet to sort it out (you can't use cream like they say when I gets inside the milk ducts, and while the tablet is not prescribed, they do give it to aids babies who are born with thrush throughout their systems, so I figure it's pretty safe!) With bad thrush the symptoms is basically hair-pulling pain to start with, that slowly eases over the feed.

If you're not enjoying breastfeeding though, you shouldn't feel bad about formula feeding - just snuggle him close to feed and it doesn't make that much difference :) 

Also - don't know what type of bouncer you have tried, but I found my son only liked the really basic mesh ones (baby factory sell them) - they're more verticle so nicer on tummies, and really easy for them to jiggle themselves by kicking their legs - they look really plain compared to the 'fancy' ones, but are really, really good!
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
annaharrison125430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annaharrison125430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2014 at 3:13pm
Hi, I have a new baby who can't be put down either. My older son had silent reflux so I'm wondering if my new baby does as well. Did your son have other symptoms as well or was that enough to diagnose a problem?
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 3:41pm
Hi Anna - does your new baby need to be held vertically when held rather than held horizontally? Some babies just want to be held, and like the constant motion. Reflux babies need to be vertical to feel comfortable.

Other things I noticed (which aren't signs in themselves, but add up together) were comfort sucking for ages with feeding/taking ages to feed (def not the 10 mins/side). He also couldn't stand being on his tummy. And getting him to sleep he'd start falling asleep on our shoulder, then suddenly jerk awake and start screaming again (and repeat....).
6+ yrs TTC#2
FET#2 - BFN
Oct 16 BFP
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 9:01pm
Hi Anna, my boy did have reflux and after not getting help from GP and plunket I ended up doing my own research and came across colic calm, it is a natural remedy. I remember having a hard time a few months ago, my baby wanted to be held and walked all the time and he would scream while and after being fed. Colic calm worked for us, is not cheap but is worth it.
I think you can get something similar from the supermarket (gripe water) and is a lot cheaper.

Good luck
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 9:20pm
As a note - we tried gripe water and infacol with no success - def worth trying at start of journey, but don't be discouraged if they don't work. I've heard good things about colic calm, though haven't tried it (didn't know it existed at time).
6+ yrs TTC#2
FET#2 - BFN
Oct 16 BFP
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 9:53pm
Hi mashroom, did try infacol but didnt work for us. Still use colic calm when needed as it helps upset tummies etc. I took it last week lol, worked well. Good for the whole family. I have heard it does not work for everyone tho.
annaharrison125430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annaharrison125430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2014 at 9:41am
Hi, thanks. I have now got her on losac which has made a huge difference. Her waking times are now happy ones. Massive improvement. I was embarrassed to have two babies with the same problems, made me think I was just imagining the symptoms. But having a baby that is now happy to be placed on her back and happy to be put down for a nap is like heaven. I'm pleased we got onto it earlier this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>