FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAt What Age Do You Let Your Kids Play Tablets?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GraceWilson147369 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraceWilson147369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At What Age Do You Let Your Kids Play Tablets?
    Posted: 27 June 2014 at 4:50am
Ok, we know that we are in the tech-savvy times right now. Any family restos we go, I see kids playing on their tablets and their faces are glued to the screen of the tablet! For me it's not healthy to let kids just play with tablets, it lessen focus, attention and appreciation of other kids. Not to mention, they don't get to exercise. Which brings me to my question, at what age do you, parents, usually let your kids start playing with tablets?
Sponsored Links

angelina_joy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelina_joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2014 at 4:50pm
Hiya. My oldest is turning 4 in a couple of months and I let her play on my tablet from time to time. There are certain apps she knows she's allowed access to, and I make sure that any apps she plays have parental controls that I can use to stop her from doing things like making purchases (with my credit card!). I try not to hover over her shoulder when she's playing on it, but I do make sure I'm aware of what she's doing and limit the time she's allowed on it.

Personally I'm a firm believer in 'everything in moderation', and while I do my best to make sure that my kids are able to entertain themselves independantly (without technology), I don't see any harm in allowing them time to play with things like tablets, or to watch TV, or play on the computer - as long as they're supervised, their time in front of a screen is limited, and proper use and good habits are/can be established (no devices at the dinner table, for example).
Nellennium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nellennium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2014 at 5:03pm
My son is 3 months old and we let him play on our tablet for about 5 minutes a day, he loves it! We have all the fisher price apps.
snapdragon_77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snapdragon_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2014 at 5:22pm
American Academy of Paediatrics and the UK equivalent, recommend NO screen time for children until they are at least 3 years old. My son is two years 3 months and so far has watched no TV and never been on a computer or tablet. Multiple studies have shown that the more screen time young children and babies have, the more likely they are to develop behavioural difficulties later on in life (note that this is a likelihood, not a guarantee! Many children interact with screens at a young age and are fine behaviourally).

Many uninformed people think that kids need to be on these things early because it will be part of their life and they will be disadvantaged if they don't get in early. Actually, again, studies have shown no detrimental effect to delaying 'screens' until kids are three...and don't forget Bill Gates probably didn't see a computer screen until he was at least 10..and look where he is now...hardly a Luddite!

Personally I think it defeats the purpose if you go out to a family dinner and half the family are transfixed by their tablets/smart phones etc.

IMHO, it's far better to have kids spending time playing creatively and interacting with other kids and adults than hypnotized by a screen!
Caroline H - Mum to Theo (10 weeks)
maybish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maybish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 10:01pm
I think that it's inevitable - your kids learning and exploring will lead them to the technology that you keep around. You can't really forbid them from using it because it's human nature to reach for something that is just beyond your reach. I think what you need to do is make sure to lock up the apps that they shouldn't even be going near and then load your tablet with apps that will aid them in learning. While the touch screen interface will teach your kids fine motor skills, certain educational preschool games will aid in reading/writing/critical thinking skills. So you can basically create yourself a win-win situation. If you're interested, here's a pin of 60 STEAM apps for your kids - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/466474473875673523/ and this article on Huffington Post about How much Technology you should let your child use http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-larry-rosen/how-much-technology-shoul_b_3142227.html Hope this helps!
paparazi257224782 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paparazi257224782 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 3:07pm
In my opinion, I will let my baby use tablet at 12 years old. Under 12 is the time for children to develop all body function including eyes. If we let children playing with tablet so early, it harms their eyes. I will let my baby play healthy activities like going to the park, riding the bike, or playing sport,...
MARIEMIGUEL226303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARIEMIGUEL226303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 1:52pm
about 1.5 years and now they are very much addicted with gadgets
 Post Reply Post Reply