FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPCOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hopefully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopefully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCOS
    Posted: 09 September 2014 at 9:29pm
Thought I would start a new discussion on PCOS.
Keen to hear your successes or struggles with fertility.

Sponsored Links

Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 6:39pm
Sorry I haven't posted in this earlier. I have pcos with all the toppings (acne, weight gain, hirsutism). We've managed to have one child successfully! A number of our issues result from my husbands low sperm count, plus me only ovulating around 8 times a year.

My sister has pcos too, and since her husband doesn't have any issues she was easily able to have children with the help of clomid.
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
Batmobile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batmobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 8:27pm
Hey,
So I don't have diagnosed PCOS or anything but my egg hormone was really high and my sisters have PCOS so the fertility dr did say something but never actually went any further with it. Our issues are with my hubby (no sperm) and we are waiting for donor sperm but don't qualify for publicly funded iui so have to pay. So where I'm going with this is what are the symptoms of PCOS? What could be some issues if I had undiagnosed PCOS and we did the IUI? Could it impact the likely success of the IUI? What treatment (if any) is usually done?
Sorry to hijack your post!
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 11:28am
Hi Batmobile - good questions! PCOS is diagnosed by having a large (>10?) number of follicles in the ovaries. These follicles produce hormones, which is why having a high ovarian reserve reading from AHM levels can indicate you might have pcos. I'm surprised your fertility doctor didn't do an internal ultrasound and look at your ovaries to see if they were like that or not.

Since it's basically a hormonal disorder, it can effect a variety of things relating to hormone levels. Every women responds differently to how badly they are effected, and having a slim-figure is very helpful as fat around the abdommin also effect hormone feedback loops and can make symptoms worse (my cycles have definitely suffered from my post-baby fat). Whenever any women posts as having irregular cycles (not the 28 day ideal), such as 6 week cycles etc, then I'd advise getting a scan (our health insurance covered this through our regular doctor).

Fertility-wise, the main issue is ovulation. The follicles in the ovaries are basically partly ripened eggs, and can prevent another follicle properly developing to the point of ovulation (meaning that many pcos ladies don't ovulate, or ovulate very seldom). Blood tests, and having regular cycles can rule this out. If you're not ovulating, then clomid is generally prescribed to induce ovulation (obviously you can't do IUI without ovulating, though doctor will monitor that and might be planning on clomid anyway). The other issue can be with egg quality. Even if you do ovulate, those excess hormones from the other follicles can mean the egg doesn't mature perfectly so can lead to lower fertilisation rates. Chances of miscarriage is also higher with pcos ladies, probably in part because of this. Doctors can prescribe metformin as well (an insulin-sensitizing drug), which can help with egg quality and general symptoms.

Hope this helps!
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
Batmobile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batmobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2014 at 10:30pm
Hey mushroom,
Thanks heaps for that. I might see if we can do that scan before attempting anything. I do have regular cycles but they are about 32-34 days long. I have had the normal cycle blood tests done which were all normal so I think probably it's not a problem but wouldn't mind checking before forking over thousands!
Hopefully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopefully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 11:17pm
Thanks for all your posts. I was diagnosed PCOS as a teenager and have been TTC for 18 month and have not had my period for this entire time. Tried Clomiphene with no success so had Ovarian Diathermy in Feb - no success. IVF is our last change and we should be starting in Feb.
 Post Reply Post Reply