FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCoffee Catchup - Upper Hutt - 15th September

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skiltz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coffee Catchup - Upper Hutt - 15th September
    Posted: 12 September 2014 at 10:09am
OHbaby! Coffee Catchup - Upper Hutt - 15th Septemeber. Feel free to ask questions and Dorothy will reply when she can.

Don’t forget to use the code BABY14 to get $10 off your Countdown online shop when you spend over $100, and be in the draw to win a fantastic Countdown hamper worth $100”

Edited by skiltz - 03 October 2014 at 8:31am
Sponsored Links

Janine155022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janine155022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 6:48pm
Hi there, great catch up the other day, I found it really useful.

Just wondering as we didn't touch on teething what ideas you have for pain relief/comfort for the little ones?
cathymorris152775 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathymorris152775 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 8:31am
Hi, I have been using the sleeping advise that you gave us on Monday and it has been working really well. My daughter is ten weeks old and didn't really sleep during the day. She maybe had 2 naps that lasted about 30 minutes. After your advise she is sleeping 2 to 3 times a day for about an hour and a half. My only problem now is that she isn't sleeping well at night. She was going down at 8pm or 9pm and waking at 4am or 5am, now she wakes at 1am 3am and 5am... I feel like I've taken ten steps backwards... Any advise would be much appreciated for what to do from here. Thanks Dorothy
Bella82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bella82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 8:35pm
Hi Dorothy

I really enjoyed the session on Monday in Upper Hutt I have been trying your tips all week :) but need a bit more help Please!!!

My baby is 14 weeks old and never used to sleep during the day but slept 8 - 9 hours at night. Shes now fully on formula as of this week as she had tongue & lip tie that wasnt diagnosed until she was 8 weeks old & never got the hang of breast & my supplies dried up only expressing.
We seem to have the morning sleep around 9 or 10am ok so far as long as she is in the pram or car seat until shes asleep I leave her in the pram but car seat I get her out & she sleeps in my arms I am having to wake her though after 2 hours & during the day she would sleep for 2 - 5 hours otherwise! She will not sleep in her bed during the day I've tried white noise, music and darkness, swaddling (she doesnt like her arms being swaddled never has) and me in there with her - still no sleep in there! she has a safe t sleep as she turns sideways & wedges herself in cot already. She then fights sleep for the afternoon so I have given her the 45 minute band aid nap then a bath and my husband takes over. She seems to go down anywhere between 8 - 10pm she falls asleep around 4 - 6 times on my husband each time my husband trys to put her in bed after 10 mins and as soon as she touches the mattress her eyes pop open! we feed to sleep probably not good but seems to work for us because shes such a sleep fighter! She now is waking between 1 and 3am since Ive been doing the day sleeps and not going back to sleep till 6am and then wakes at 7.30am Help please she just fights sleep and I would like her to be doing the 8 - 9 hours at night again & to sleep in her cot during the day we are dying of sleep deprivation!
Nicola155193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicola155193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 10:10pm
Hi Dorothy,
I want to say a huge thankyou for the session on Monday. I found it extremely helpful and have been trying to put the settling and resettling ideas into place this week. I will definitely be a bum on a seat whenever you're down this way again!
I was wondering if there are any books on babies in general, and sleep in particular, that you would recommend?
Thanks again,
Nicola
kazzamatazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazzamatazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 9:29am
Hi Dorothy,
Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom with us on Monday!
Thanks to you I have had the confidence to transition my 7.5 month old out of his swaddle and am pleased to say that he is now sleeping without the swaddle for all his sleeps!
Have also been giving him solids before milk for breakfast like you recommended and he is now actually settling during the night without needing a bottle.
Thank you so very much, I wish I had met you much sooner!
Kirsty
KSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 9:37am
Hi Dorothy

Thank you for the great talk on Monday. I have a question around MOTN feeds and my son stirring/thrashing around in the night.

My son is 8 weeks (6 weeks adjusted) and is now 5.04kg (born 2.73kg), with regular poos, wees, etc.

He feeds approximately every 3 hours and is on a good eat, play sleep cycle. My question is around MOTN feeds. We do wake him at 10.30pm for a dream feed (but he sometimes wakes around then anyway) but note that he doesn't really take it asleep but falls asleep easily afterwards (not on the boob). After this, he tends to wake around 2.5 -3.5 hourly. However,sometimes in the night, he will thrash about and make 'urrrrhhhh' noises, cries (about 2-3/10) then goes back to sleep, then it repeats. His eyes are usually closed. For example, I feed him at 4.15am this morning, and then at 5.50am he started thrashing around as above. I tried settling him multiple times of which he fell asleep in my arms and/or burped however once I put him down, he starts all over again (in his sleep). I tried feeding him but he only took a few minutes very slow sucking before he fell asleep again until morning.

Note: he is not a huge screaming howling baby and I haven't heard his "OMG I'm starving - how have you not fed me yet?" screech in weeks.

is this thrashing the beginnings of hunger? Or is it just him noisily sleeping and should I be holding off from feeding him? We have tried both options and we are still unsure of what to do! Sometimes he takes a feed, sometimes he doesn't. I have videoed it if you would like to see.

Thanks so much!

Kim
Michele155300 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michele155300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 11:28am
Dear Mums,

My name is Michele and I am conducting a study about nutrition during pregnancy. This study is part of my masters in human nutrition at Massey University.
I am investigating the consumption of key nutrients in New Zealand pregnant women. Therefore I need at least 450 pregnant women in the last trimester to answer my online questionnaire. It is an anonymous questionnaire that will take about 15 -20 minutes to answer.
Your participation would be higly appreciated and in exchange to your participation you will receive the latest nutrition guidelines and go on a draw for one of two free subscriptions for OHbaby! magazine for a year.

Please feel free to share the link for the questionnaire with as many pregnant ladies as you know. The questionnaire will be available untill the end of december 2014.

Here is the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/pufa

Thanks for you time!

Michele
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 10:25pm
HI Janine

Teething
I tend to use natural remedies during the day. If that does not work, I then offer more pain relief such as Pamol and Nurofen.

Products that I have found work well for most of my clients are the Teething Drops, Kava Drops, Teething Gel, Viburcol, and Traummel gel or drops – all purchased from Quintessence either by phone (09 817 1530) or Internet (www.qhealth.co.nz)

If you want to use an alternative product that helps with both inflammation and pain try Traumeel gel. Use twice a day morning and night.

Teething becomes very painful. It affects the whole head and in particular the ears. It is common for the pain to intensify at night and so you may find that you need to use stronger medication to treat your baby. If you find this pattern applies to your baby then I would recommend using Pamol during the day and Nurofen at night. Nurofen helps with both inflammation and pain whereas Pamol just helps with the pain.

Some parents find raising one end of their baby’s cot helps to reduce the inflammation that occurs overnight due to lying flat for a long period of time.

Amber beads are an alternative that you may wish to consider. I have not used them, however I do have clients that think they are very effective in alleviating their child’s teething pain. They say the darker the amber is the more effective the beads are

Medication-may2014.pdf
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 10:29pm
HI Cathy
YOu actually haven't take a step back but what you have succeeded in is that when your baby is sleeping at night she isn't crashing but sleeping. sleep breeds sleep so if she is getting more sleep in the day and resettling then this will happen at night. When she wakes at night are you resettling before feeding Also with more sleeps in the day is she getting less food.    Try offering her more milk in the day and see if this helps.

Ideally you will have her going down for the night around 7pm
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 10:53pm
Hi at 14 weeks ideally she is having wake times of around 1 3/4 hours and having naps of a minimum of 1 1/2 hours. A band nap is that - it is less than 30 mins. A nap of 45 minutes is one sleep cycle and with her not being able to resettle I would suggest that you take the time to do this.

Sleep is a learned behaviour and some babies learn faster than other.s Sleep is also a nutrient the same as food, so without both walking hand in hand one can lead to the other.

The safetsleep isn't designed to keep her still, it does keep her in one place but while in the safetsleep she can actually roll from her back to her tummy and back again.

Her sleeping well at night was probably due to not sleeping in the day so she would crash at night.
Feeding to sleep is a personal choice but some babies don't drop this and you could be doing this when she is 18 months plus

It will take time to teach and support and encourage her to sleep in her cot - will she be able to sleep in the carseat or buggy when she is 18 months old. It is easier to start now than when they are older

Is her room dark enough -

Have a look at your baby’s room is it dark or is there lots of light. To see if your baby is light sensitive then black out the windows and all the little lights on all the electrical equipment in their room and see if this helps. It does not mean your baby will not sleep elsewhere as at this stage it is about encouraging your baby to go to sleep and stay asleep.

YOu mentioned you have tried it all but have you put her to bed after her wake time of 1 3/4s and then just either stayed in the room and allow her the time and right and ability to find her sleep and then intervene to help her. When you intervene do you give her movement that can be done in arms or in the cot.   How long have you attempted to self settle her. It will take a good 20 minutes for her to fall asleep this isn't about leaving her on her own but it is about allowing her the ability to find her sleep and you intervening to help if she doesn't.

DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 10:54pm
HI Nicola
Thank you. NO there is no one book that I could recommend - mine is hopefully coming out on the shelves next year.   

DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 10:56pm
hi Kirsty
My pleasure
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 11:01pm
HI with regard to dream feeds or waking a baby for a feed, the best bit of advice I could give you is not to wake a sleeping baby up overnight

His thrashing and movement could be one of many things - just thats what he does, or he could be uncomfortable from the dream feed

Love to see the video but you would need to send it to my email address dorothy@babyhelp.co.nz

Why not see what he is like by dropping the 10pm feed and even if he wakes at this time of the night try resettling before feeding. I would also be encouraging resettling overnight before feeding - this ensures you are feeding for hunger and not comfort
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2014 at 11:02pm
Hi Ladies
Thank you for all your questions and hopefully the answers will help you. It was lovely to meet you all at the OHBaby Coffee Catchup.

Remember before you do anything STOP, THINK, and ACT – work out what you are doing, why you are doing, and what you are trying to accomplish and then act.

Remember YOU are the baby’s mum and so listen to your heart and instinct.   Yes, we all don’t do it by the book, or get it right the first time, but you need to make ‘mistakes’ to get it right for you.   It’s a time of learning a little person’s personality and figuring out what works for your home life.

If you have the time I would love to see you pop over to http://www.facebook.com/BabyWithin and 'like' it. You can then keep up with information that I post from time to time or hear from other mothers who write on the wall. Also there is now a “recommendations’ section and it would great to hear your comments.

Please remember as a parent or carer that you should understand and acknowledge that Dorothy is NOT a licensed medical doctor or other licensed medical provider and the information that I share with you has come from experience and working with numerous families and babies and toddlers
Nicola155193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicola155193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2014 at 9:38am
That is very good news!
 Post Reply Post Reply