FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCoffee Catchup - Brooklyn - 15th September

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skiltz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coffee Catchup - Brooklyn - 15th September
    Posted: 12 September 2014 at 10:10am
OHbaby! Coffee Catchup - Brooklyn - 15th Septemeber. Feel free to ask questions and Dorothy will reply when she can.

Don’t forget to use the code BABY14 to get $10 off your Countdown online shop when you spend over $100, and be in the draw to win a fantastic Countdown hamper worth $100”

Edited by skiltz - 03 October 2014 at 8:27am
Sponsored Links

zoe154728 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoe154728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 8:30pm
Hi Dorothy!
I got so much out of your talk today, thank you so much. I would appreciate some clarification and advice on "sleeping through the night"
Bubs is 4.5 months

Goes down at 6/7 pm
will then wake at midnight -I then feed (breastfeed)
Then he will sleep till 3/4 again I feed and change (sometimes)
He will then sometimes wake at 5/6 I try and resettle sometimes he will sleep again until 7/8

I totally thought this was t"hrough the night" for a breastfeed baby? Is this correct?
I will be starting to try and feed bubs more during the day as I have found lately he is not hungry all morning (because of the night feeds?)
Please send me Your words of wisdom
Thanks Dorothy!

Edited by zoe154728 - 15 September 2014 at 8:32pm
Guest_66092 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_66092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 12:10pm
Hi Dorothy
Thank you so much for imparting your knowledge to us on Monday. I got so many good tips and tricks out of it.It has helped me transition my DD 9mths out of breast feeding to sleep. We had been struggling with this for months with no success unless we rocked her which In Turn made her wake up when put back in the cot. We have done the feed to drowsy then take to her room and patt or rub her back till she settles and then hold for a period of time before putting in cot. This is working great considering it has only been 2 days. We have also put her in a sleeping bag now which is also going pretty well.
Now I understand it is still early days in the transition but when she wake in the night and I get up to resettle, she is alternating arching her back, throwing herself from one shoulder to the next and pushing me away for a good 10-15 mins before starting to settle down. Is there anything I could be doing to stop that or get her settling quicker. She's been doing this for the past few months.
TIA for any advise on this.
Lee

Edited by Guest_66092 - 17 September 2014 at 12:13pm
MariaZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MariaZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 1:08pm
Hi Dorothy,

Thank you for the opportunity to come and listen to your advice on Monday. I have tried since (only twice so still early times) to wean my 4mnth old off feeding to sleep by feeding to drowsy and then holding / patting till settles (which I haven't got to yet as I haven't allowed him to continue his full on crying for longer than 3 mins).

However, as I mentioned, he gets sooo upset at this - arching his back, sucking on my arm and crying to a fever pitch - the real fight / flight response which I have tried to not let him get to up till now, for no longer than 1 min anyway. So I'm finding it really hard to allow him to carry on like this in my arms as it just feels mean and breaks my heart :(

I'm also getting confused with his sucking on my arm - does this mean he is still hungry or just wanting comfort? As when I put him back on, he will feed frantically and settles / falls asleep really quickly.... Then I'm back to square one.

I do want to wean him off feeding to sleep, but worry about how upset he is getting. He is a good self settler once asleep - will sleep for 1 1/2 to 3hrs at a time during the day and will only wake 1-2 times at night for a feed.

Any advice will be most appreciated.
Thank you :)
Maria
Jetsetter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetsetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 11:21pm
Hi Dorothy
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on Monday. I have few questions which I hope you don’t mind answering:

1. Our baby is 6 months next week and sleeps really well during the day (1 x 45 min and 2 x 1 ˝ hours) so have never had to use a resettling technique during the day (and at night have simply fed him). However, he has always really struggled to stay awake for more than an hour once he’s up from his night sleep. This morning he managed 1 ˝ hours before he fell asleep while I fed him. Unfortunately him wanting to go to sleep normally coincides with me needing to drop my older son off at Kindy and there’s no way I can keep our baby awake in the buggy/front pack etc i.e. he will go to sleep anywhere and he will not transfer into the cot when I get home so typically wakes after 45 mins if I leave him in the buggy. If I do manage to put him down in the cot he will sleep for 1 ˝ hours. Do you have any tips for stretching this awake time out and/or tips for successfully transferring babies into their cot when asleep? And at your talk you mentioned putting your thumb under their chin, was this to keep them awake whilst feeding? If so, can you explain how to do this as I tried this morning without success.
2. On your General Guidelines table for Sleep, Play & Feeding routines you say for a 4-6 mth old baby their sleep pattern should be 8 – 10 hours at night. However, if you put them to bed at 7pm that means they’d be up 5am. Is this correct? Or do you mean they should be able to go 8-10 hours at night without a feed and then if they wake you feed them and put them back down? If our baby wakes before 6.30am I feed him and put him back down and he goes straight back to sleep and can sleep for another 3 hours or until I wake him. Should I be doing this? Could this be causing the issue above or could it be the time I put him down for the night i.e. was 9.30pm but last week I made this earlier so it’s now 8.30pm. If I put him down any earlier at night he’ll wake after 45 minutes and treat it as a day sleep.
3. Have you got any tips for not hurting your back while leaning over the cot to try to resettle your baby at night for up to 45 minutes? Do you literally keep going for 45 minutes or do you do it in bursts of 2 x 20 minutes or some other time frame? As soon as I try to resettle i.e. roll him on to his side and do the cupping thing he starts screaming, arching his back & reaching for me. Is this normal behaviour at the beginning of teaching them i.e. do I persevere through this as it breaks me so I have simply got him up and fed him after a couple of minutes!!
4. Should I be changing my diet to include the Natal Vitamins to improve the quality of my milk since quantity appears fine (he’s been exclusively breastfed until I started him on solids yesterday and he’s 9 kilos at 5 ˝ mths).

Many thanks
Rachael     

Edited by Jetsetter - 19 September 2014 at 8:10am
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 2:12pm
Hi gosh everyone has a different opinion on this
To me sleeping through the night is when they go to bed in the evening and they wake in the morning.
Saying that your little one is doing well

At 4.5 months ideally he is having wake times during the day of approx 2 1/4 hours and having naps of a minimum of 1 1/2 hours. Resettling if he wakes before this

His wake time will be he wakes, feeds, plays, feeds, sleeping bag and then into cot
Dorothy
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 2:16pm
Hi when you are going in at night you may be going in too early. When she wakes what noise is she making - is it off and on or constant. If it is off and on I would try and step back and see if she resettles - if she doesn't then interfere and help her back to sleep.

If this is too big a step then go into her room when she wakes and just watch her until you feel she needs your support to go back to sleep and then intervene.   

In my experience it takes approx 20 minutes for a baby to fall asleep so when they wake and need to go back to sleep it cant take that amount of time plus more. As you are getting her to resettle just change your technique slightly and see if that helps
Dorothy
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 2:19pm
Hi Maria
SOme babies like to suck for comfort more than others which is what it sounds like you son enjoys doing.
Feeding to sleep has both positive and not so positive outcomes and for mothers who enjoy feeding their little ones to sleep this is not an issue.

THese are the steps I would encourage you to take - try not to take big steps as it will not work for you
FEEDING TO SLEEP
To avoid him feeding to sleep then I would suggest taking small steps.

To teach your baby to self settle and resettle then you need to be able to give them the tools to do this. I would suggest that you do this in stages so that you are pushing the boundaries a little but no so far that it is not feasible.
Step 1
Feed to nearly asleep, then remove nipple from mouth and press upwards under their chin with your finger or thumb - they will actually keep sucking using their tongue. Once your baby is asleep then transfer
Step 2
Feed to drowsy repeat above and then hold to sleep – no rocking or movement that cannot be done in a cot
Step 3
Feed, sleeping bag and hold to sleep
Step 4
Feed, sleeping bag and hold to drowsy and then into cot and stay with your baby until they are   asleep.
With each of the above steps I would be working on a minimum of 10 days, but depending on how they respond.
You are going to be basically replacing the feeding with holding, cupping or a form of movement that can be replicated in the cot.

DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 8:11pm
HI this is where teaching him to self settle and resettle helps. So when he wakes from his daytime naps and they are less than 1 ˝ hours it is worth taking the time to resettle.   Resettling is tough but it does pay dividends . The other option is to let him have a band aid nap in the mornings. I tend to do this at the end of the day, however you can do it in the mornings as well. A band aid nap is less than 30 minutes and it gives them just enough rest so that they are ready for their next wake up cycle.   At night it just avoids them being overtired to do their evening routine.

This is for when babies are being fed to sleep and you want to break the habit. I Have just posted this for another lady..

The guideline is that.   It is about encouraging and supporting mums to see what you are working towards.   Most of the babies that I work with at this age do 12 hours a night – ie. they go to bed at 7.00pm and get up at 7.00am. OR 11 hours 7pm to 6.00am.   Some babies are still doing a night feed at this age as well, however .   

The time you start the day does depend on you. IF he is waking at 6.00am I would probably start my day – but personally I would beencouraging a 6.30am to 7.00am wake up as well.

I tend to base my clock hours on a 12 hour day and 12 hours for night.

I also work ˝ an hour either side of the times I am working towards as with babies you need flexibility

With resettling in the cot overnight - you can do this in arms as well, however if you are not resetting during his daytime naps then it will be harder to teach him how to stay asleep.   WHen resettling you stay with them until they have gone into a deep sleep so yes, it is back breaking but it does work, however it also depends on whether you are happy to feed him.   If you cannot resettle your baby then there are options - one you feed, two you do safe co sleeping or three you leave them until they go back to sleep. The last option is one I would not recommend at all.

Yes, breastfeeding mothers, do need additional vitamins and omega 3's as what goes into body goes into your milk - it just ensures that if you are running low that you are giving your body what it needs.   

Edited by DorothyW - 27 September 2014 at 8:13pm
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 8:12pm
Hi Ladies
Thank you for all your questions and hopefully the answers will help you. It was lovely to meet you all at the OHBaby Coffee Catchup.

Remember before you do anything STOP, THINK, and ACT – work out what you are doing, why you are doing, and what you are trying to accomplish and then act.

Remember YOU are the baby’s mum and so listen to your heart and instinct.   Yes, we all don’t do it by the book, or get it right the first time, but you need to make ‘mistakes’ to get it right for you.   It’s a time of learning a little person’s personality and figuring out what works for your home life.

If you have the time I would love to see you pop over to http://www.facebook.com/BabyWithin and 'like' it. You can then keep up with information that I post from time to time or hear from other mothers who write on the wall. Also there is now a “recommendations’ section and it would great to hear your comments.

Please remember as a parent or carer that you should understand and acknowledge that Dorothy is NOT a licensed medical doctor or other licensed medical provider and the information that I share with you has come from experience and working with numerous families and babies and toddlers
 Post Reply Post Reply