FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedColic in 5 month old baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Babyshrimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babyshrimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colic in 5 month old baby
    Posted: 13 September 2014 at 2:18pm
Hi there, I took my 5 month old to a gp during the week to see if he could go back on medication for reflux, her response was he has colic & doesn't need meds as not reflux. I ended up in tears as I feel like my boys in pain. She then gave a script for losec suspension as a trial but again said it's colic this won't work.
Jacks been on the meds for 5 days now & already I've seen a huge improvement, he appears more comfy during feeds, doesn't get upset when burping & his spills don't seem to agitate him as much & my happy wee man is coming back & sleep imrpoving.
Do you think she misunderstood me when I said he was more fussy & upset, I don't see how she thought this is colic he really doesn't cry that much. If the meds are working does that mean we were right in thinking this isn't colic?
Everything I've read online about colic doesn't match my boy, thought or experience from anyone that's dealt with colic or had colic diagnosed when it was actually reflux? Cheers
Sponsored Links

Stoked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2014 at 4:12pm
My son was diagnosed with colic and we believe it was reflux. Not all reflux babies cry and he was a "happy chucker". It's not until I had a "normal" baby that I realised exactly how rough it must have been on him.

It sounds like you have had some improvement with the losec - their must be a reason! Perhaps a change in Dr, to one that is supportive may be in order?

Well done for trusting your instincts

Edited by Stoked - 13 September 2014 at 4:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babyshrimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2014 at 4:19pm
Thanks for replying, she wasn't our usual dr as couldn't see our regular. I would have waited but jacks milk consumption had dropped dramatically. She wasn't a very pleasant dr that's for sure. Am I right in thinking that colicky babes cry quite a bit?
Will hold off & see our regular dr next time.
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2014 at 8:07pm
Hi, sounds like reflux to me. My baby had the same symptoms and my dr said it was mild reflux and that he was going to grow out of it. So no meds given just got told to put up with it!!! Did my own research online and came across colic calm drops, they worked for us and the good thing is that they are natural, made from herbs, etc. I did tell my gp about them and she was fine with my baby taking them.
Good on you for not giving up and trying to do what is best for bubs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babyshrimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2014 at 9:07pm
Thanks for advice on those drops, could be another option for us 😊 looked down the back of jacks throat & it's all red poor little man breaks ya heart seeing them in pain
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 5:16am
Some doctors "get" reflux and others don't. You have to be your own advocate for this and, having tried the losec with success I would say that reflux is a better description than colic. Have you looked at the crying over spilt milk website? It is a really good one for working out the difference between colic and reflux.
SouthKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 7:08am
Awww babyshrimp, poor wee man. Sounds awful. I think you can get gaviscon for babies? Might need a prescription from your gp. That should help with the "burning feeling".
Kumeroa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumeroa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 7:43am
My little lady has reflux and my GP's have not been useful at all. You can get infant gaviscon over the counter at pharmacy, really easy to use if bottle feeding bit harder if breast helped us a bit. We only got listened to when DD stopped drinking only then did we get some action, it sucks. We are now off meds but on a prescription formula as milk protein allergy/intolerance was found to be culprit
TTC #2 since July 2014. Have had 3 ectopics May 15, Oct 15 and Aug 16. IVF is the only option now as no tubes left
DD1 born Jan 14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babyshrimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 8:25am
It's such a shame not all dr's listen to mums, we r with our wee ones 24/7 hardly gonna force medicine on a baby that doesn't need it. I'm going to try & see our regular gp during the week to go over how the meds have changed things & hopefully get a regular prescription 😄 thanks for advice on gaviscon, don't think we can use as jacks on anti reflux formula?
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 9:47am
I'd write to the doctor you saw, and let her know exactly how they symptoms have improved to encourage her to be more helpful to the next person.

As a note, colic isn't actually a diagnosis! It's the label given to babies that cry a lot etc, and is caused by a myriad of different things, so each baby might have a different reason (reflux being one of them!). We had to fight to get losec (omneprazol) for our son who was truely an unhappy child who took an hour to feed, and an hour to scream afterwards. We had to go to a pediatrician who grudgingly prescribed it (saying it would do nothing, but wouldn't hurt too much to try so gave to us to shut us up). For us it was like magic where he basically went overnight to feeding within 20-30 mins and settling in his BED(!) within an hour of getting up, so we could actually get some sleep ourselves! I found out later that docters used to prescribe losec a little bit too often a number of years ago, and so as a kickback have scaled that right back and are loathe to prescribe it at all :(
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
 Post Reply Post Reply