FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWLG sperm donor wait list time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Fairylight Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairylight Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WLG sperm donor wait list time
    Posted: 23 October 2014 at 7:56pm
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has used a sperm donor through FAW in the last two years or so. It's our back up plan if your 4th IVF/ICSI cycle fails next year. But I want to gauge the timeframe of the wait list so I can organise to get on it so we only wait a few months after a failed cycle.
TIA
TTC 6yr
3x IVF/ICSI 6ET (5 x MC/1 BFN)
3x endo ops/severe MFI
'15 IUI DS #3 BFP

TTC#2 '18 IUI DS #2 BFP

https://lbdf.lilypie.com/b9d5p12.png
Sponsored Links

babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 9:17pm
Hey fairy!!!
Funnily enough sperm donor stuff is my 'thing' lol. We went in list in sept 2012 and by March 2013 we had started iui so 6mths from woe to go. It went quite fast because in that time we also went through the process of picking a donor. Then once we had our donor there was no more waiting for anything. Have you asked about it already? If you're paying there may not be a wait? I think you could probably get on the list now so like you say if next cycle doesn't work you can move on to that.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
IVF3 Angel baby born 22.3wks
Fairylight Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairylight Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 8:26am
Thanks babycrazy! I emailed AM earlier this week, but he's away until late next week. It'll be private so wondered if the wait time would be quicker. I just want to get the ball rolling if the cycle fails cos I'm so sick of waiting!!
TTC 6yr
3x IVF/ICSI 6ET (5 x MC/1 BFN)
3x endo ops/severe MFI
'15 IUI DS #3 BFP

TTC#2 '18 IUI DS #2 BFP

https://lbdf.lilypie.com/b9d5p12.png
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 11:23am
Hope AM gets back to you asap when he arrives back. You could probably call and ask to talk to the donor nurse or any of the nurses. They're so lovely!.
I would definitely get yourself on that list if you think that will be your next step (hope you don't need it!). Obviously you and DH are ok with going in that direction.
If you ever need an ear I'm hear - was quite a big decision for us but I'm lucky my DH has been great about it.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 10:23am
We have contacted FAW to go in for a consult with the intention of getting on the sperm donor wait list.
I haven't had my period in a year though but came off the depo a year ago so it might be because of that.
It is a little nerve wracking starting the process but also exciting.
When you initially go, what tests do you undertake?

babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 11:01am
Initially they do full bloods (don't ask what exactly I can't remember!) for you and a scan (internal - just a heads up). You'll discuss your options which will include donor sperm the go from there. That's just a general idea. Once on donor list you have to have two counselling appts which can be done while you wait. Oh abs they'll want swabs of your lady tunnel too before starting treatment.
All a blue for me since we've been through so much but hope that helps.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 11:09am
Thanks Babycrazy. Your wait wasn't long at all. I saw this funny meme this morning TTC-Do you do any work anymore?! I was like, yup, I totally get that.
I see a physio/massage/nutrition guy once a week and he suggested I do hair follicle testing to see what nutrients I could be lacking. He also said that at the moment my body feels it is in a "hostile environment" which is why there are no eggies. I blame the pumpkin orange "feature wall" in our bedroom.
So we have the two things to check out when we go to FAW, if there is any point to try reverse his vasectomy and if my one year wait post Depo is any cause for concern.
Fairylight Angel, I hope your fourth cycle is successful. I'll send lots of positive energy out there.
I like seeing lots of Wellington ladies on here!
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 11:11am
My Mum told me if I kept running so much I would never get preggers and I always just laughed at her. I think she was onto something..Because physio man said that waking up at stupid o'clock and running a half marathon each day then having a banana and three cups of coffee for breakfast sends the signal to the ovaries to shut down.
So need to get the eggs going!!
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 12:55pm
hmmm your mum definitely could be on to something there. Totally get onto taking some prenatals. Elevit is really good but also comes at a price. Any prenatal is good as long as its got good levels of folic acid in it (sorry I'm useless with remembering what the levels are - I just take the elevit and be done with it lol).
Lol the 'feature' wall cracked me up.
I've heard coming off the depo it takes a long time for cycles to come back. Personally I was on the pill and luckily my body reverted to 'normal' 28ish days straight off the bat.
When is your appointment?
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 1:04pm
My appointment is Dec 4th, a month away.

I really do want to get the eggs rolling. I hope it is just the depo taking time to come out and also manageable with better lifestyle choices.

What things do you try do to help things along? Yoga? Positive thinking while rubbing tummy?

babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 1:33pm
Lol honestly after 5 yrs and knowing I need a donor I do very little! I try to live my life as normally as possible and that includes having a drink with friends, exercise and eating well. But when doing treatment I'm totally off drinking and basically that's it. My theory is if 'average ppl' can get utd no problem then so can I. But in saying that my body does what it's supposed to. You could go to your gp while waiting for that appt and see what they say about no AF yet.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 2:13pm
Do you mind me asking if you also need an egg donor? Or just sperm?
I would do egg donation, if I could get my own going along. A good friend of mine did three IVF cycles unsuccessfully and her and her husband are the loveliest people. IF I could help someone get a BFP I would do it.
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 5:30pm
Don't need an egg donor but nothing would surprise me lol. I had thought I would like to donate too but ivf is quite gruelling (well I find it hard) so not sure I would put myself through that again just to give eggs away. That's so thoughtful that you're wanting to do it. There have been a couple ppl asking on here for donors as they're really hard to find.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 9:41am
It is really heart breaking reading through here and hearing what people are going through to try have a baby.
It does sound really tough, I don't know. If I could, I would want to do it.
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2014 at 1:10pm
I've started a list of questions for when I meet with FAW.

1. How will you ensure I am not related to the donor
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2014 at 9:56pm
That's a really good question - I never even thought to ask that! Maybe they DNA test as part of bloods I dunno.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2014 at 3:08pm
I have been looking at the Treasures forums and a few people have said that FA can take "years"-but Babycrazy you said it was only six months for you. I also noticed that there are about ten people looking for donors for every one post about someone willing to be a SD.

Tony168170 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony168170 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 12:03pm
Wellington FA is about 6 months, about a year for Auckland/Hamilton and upto 2 years in Christchurch if that helps.

A lot of people are looking but scare themselves out of acting but then of the donors there are a lot of creeps lol.
Sperm Donor
Bambeana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambeana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 12:00pm
We don't need to use a donor at this stage. We are doing ICSI and IVF treatment next year. Hopefully it works but the dr seems very positive about it.

I did look lots of websites and there are some legit crazies out there. We were getting really desperate, wondering how we would find a donor and even talked about seeing if a radio station would help us!

After going to FAW, I don't think that would be a very ethical option and we wouldn't have much success if we strolled int FAW and said "Here is some guy we found on ZM"

FA also said that since technically we have access to sperm, we would need to present our case to an ethics committee to get access to donor sperm.

But when Baby daddy discussed ICSI with the doctor and got the facts and information he was really happy that we can now try with his own spermies.Just means I will be doing IVF, which is another thing all together...
Matt130 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt130 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 8:36pm
That's great Bambeana that you've found out you don't need to use a donor now.

For anyone else interested, the waiting list time and selection of donors you have to chose from can differ if you're single or a same-sex couple. That's because donors are able to specify what type of recipients they allow.

I donated to a same-sex couple I contacted through a donor website earlier this year. I met them together with my wife at a restaurant and after that we did everything through Fertility Plus in Auckland.

They'd been on the clinic waiting list (I don't know for how long), but when their turn came up they didn't like the sound of any of the clinic donors enough to go ahead with them. That was partly because they wanted a donor their child could meet before they're 18, but also because of the more limited choice of donors available to same-sex couples.

PS: I'm willing to be a sperm donor again, although I'm a little picky about who I'll donate to. You can read about me at http://www.treasures.co.nz/Community/Forum/Room/Topic/?topicId=134643
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>