FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEgg Donation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chelsea165889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea165889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Egg Donation
    Posted: 28 November 2014 at 12:39am
Hi guys
I'm not quite sure whether this is a suitable place to ask about this, but I was researching egg donation and a forum post came up on this website so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
I am wanting to donate some eggs for women who are unable to use their own eggs to conceive. I am looking for information on it, and I am unable to find much relevant to New Zealand. I am still young and wanting still wanting to expand on my family, but in the mean time I want to donate eggs. My main concern is whether or not it would affect my own fertility?
Please if anyone has any information on this, or even better has been through the process themselves, please contact me!! I am eager to find out a bit more about the process!
Sponsored Links

LateStarterLorna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LateStarterLorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 8:08am
Well done for wanting to donate :) Best thing to do is contact Fertility Assoc, they should be able to send you relevant information regarding egg donation, I donated twice before even starting my own family but they do prefer that you have finished having children as it can cause fertility problems, they monitor you very closely but the risk is still there.

Ive posted in here a few times about it, so there should be a few posts you can read :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea165889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 12:00pm
Hi LateStarterLorna
After having donated eggs twice, were you able to make contact with the families that you had helped? I think I would like to meet the people and hear their story etc, but from what I heard some people that are receiving eggs do not like to meet the donor.
Also Fertility Association, are they based all over the country?
Thanks (:
LateStarterLorna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LateStarterLorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2014 at 9:02pm
I met the second couple before donation, very nerve racking for us all but they were lovely, I was worried they wouldnt want my eggs and of course they were worried I wouldnt want to donate for them, the coordinator does a great job of making every feel relaxed. They sent me a care package and card after the donation and a follow up card to say they were pregnant with twins :) The first couple had twins as well :)

The first couple didnt want to meet, which was fine with me, you get a profile, so you have some idea. I think some might not want to meet because they want to see just themselves in the baby and not the donor, thats just my thoughts of course. The child can make contact when they turn 18, so you have to be prepared for that :)

I know of others that have found a donor themselves and they meet and keep in touch, so its possible to form a relationship with the recipients. Fert Assoc has clinics in lots of places, I just had a look at their website and theres heaps listed, theres also Fertility Plus. Pretty sure you could send them an email and they would send out info on donating, theres a huge shortage which is a shame as its been one of the most rewarding experiences knowing that you can help make a family with just a small inconvenience on your part :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea165889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2014 at 8:53am
Cool (: I did actually email them yesterday, still haven't had a reply, but definitely looking forward to it!!
Parents2Be View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Parents2Be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2014 at 12:32pm
Hi Chelsea and LatestarterLorna, Just wanted to add froma recipients point of view. We initially wanted to remain anon, as you say Lorna mainly for me to adjust to the baby not looking like me. However we found a wonderful donor and she wanted to meet. We were hesitant at first but oh are we so glad we did now. It makes sense as they are doing a wonderful thing for you nd not only that its good to meet the person who is donating the eggs that will make part of your child. She is absolutely wonderful and we do keep in touch. I am 14 weeks pregnant now and couldn't be happier.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea165889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2014 at 5:41pm
Well congratulations Parents2Be on the pregnancy. I definitely do understand the recipients not wanting to meet the donor due to different reasons and I think that it would be dependant on the situation and the feelings of both parties at that time.
Still waiting to hear back from fertility people, but am still very excited to make this choice to help another person/couple out.
 Post Reply Post Reply