FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSevere MFI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Haloumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haloumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Severe MFI
    Posted: 02 January 2015 at 8:59pm
HI all

We're 2.5yrs into our second TTC journey - we conceived via IUI w Clomid for our first child together at FAW with a 5mil count (best we'd ever had, previously were between 1.5mil - 4mil) and we're trying for another child. DH has had two more tests since then both under 4mil and has come back as low testosterone but our GP says FAW will deal with that when we requalify to see them in Aug 2015 (hopefully we get funded).

We've tried naturopath, herbalist, acupuncture etc. I don't really want to do IVF w ICSI which is what was suggested the last time we saw FAW - at which time we were doing 4 IUI with DH, and then we'd look at a donor but now having had a child DH doesn't want to do a donor.

Just wondering what other people were out there dealing with Male factor infertility.
Sponsored Links

Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2015 at 11:48pm
Hi Haloumi,

We also have similar issues. We've been trying for our second child for over 4 years (we haven't used any birth control since our son was born in 2010). We've never had IUI offered as an option for us, just IVF w ICSI. Our public funding comes up for that in July (we were eligible once our son turned 3 - long waiting list in Auckland though!)
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
Haloumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haloumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2015 at 11:09am
Thanks for your reply - FAW wanted a count of more than 3mil washed - and even tho we asked apparently they can't combine two samples to get it. But we had a miracle really - apparently it was less than 8% chance on our first IUI, and largest count ever and we're pretty sure that I'd already ovulated one side a day or more earlier - and we conceived. So I'm glad I did put my foot down as I didn't want to go thru IVF protocols when there's nothing wrong with me and I'd already had a child (DS now nearly 15) and I was 31 at the time.

However realistically unless they decide to treat DH with clomiphene etc to improve testosterone we will have to use our last lot of funding on IVF w ICSI (if we requalify).

We haven't used contraception since the birth of our LO either - actually I just laughed at anyone who has suggested it since. I'm due a nuclear scan for a health condition on the 16th Jan and the registrar was all like you can't be pregnant you can't be possibly pregnant etc I was like HAH I can shag all I like and it won't happen anyway... Sigh.. DH is pretty depressed about it being all his fault - doesn't help his mother keeps saying she needs a granddaughter in front of heaps of people - and she knows exactly what's going on.

We're also trying to chase Genetics as MIL has just had issues with pituitary gland and it could be that DH has similar so we're waiting on a consult there for testing and hopefully we can be referred to a public reproductive endocrinologist outside of the FAW system.

Do you have a reason for your sperm problems? DH had undescended testes and bilateral inguinal hernias - and the correction was done twice - the second time he was around 3yo - so that's been given the blame.
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2015 at 4:48pm
No, we have no know cause of DH's sperm issues - blood tests seem to come back fine. Last SA came back with a count of just over 2 million/mL (and that is without washing or anything). We have gotten pregnant naturally twice however - first time we had our son, and the second time resulted in a miscarriage at 6 weeks.

My impressions with the fertility system is that ICSI seems to work with very low sperm counts, so there hasn't been a lot of work into other solutions.

I do have PCOS myself, but I do ovulate on my own. We started trying for kids when I was 26 (hubby 25), and now we're 33&32 with one son who starts school this year...
I think that's been one of the hardest factors, as even if IVF works for us, we're looking at a 6 yr age difference. I'm also slightly nervous of the opposite issue where IVF works too well and we end up with more embies than I want kids!
6+ yrs TTC#2
FET#2 - BFN
Oct 16 BFP
poppy101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poppy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2015 at 5:23pm
Hi ladies,
we also have MFI, antisperm antibodies which treats the sperm as a foreign object, therefore his body kills it. As fornthe sperm it self, its actually not bad and aparantly he has heaps of it. We are due to start our first round of ivf with icsi in Feb. We are also with FAW. I hope u both have success with your journeys!!
Haloumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haloumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2015 at 6:09pm
We have a 12 and half year age gap and tbh it's been fantastic. I just don't want another 12 and half year age gap. And as for 'spare' embryos - the drug protocols are quite conservative in NZ so you're not going to end up with more than a couple frosties. You read some of the US IVF blogs and the huge numbers of eggs and embryos scare me hugely. We've always wanted a tribe of kids, but we're doubly limited - once by MFI, and once by scheduled C sections (one emergency, one failed VBAC and I refuse to call them elective - they are medically required scheduled c sections). So realistically I can have two more c sections before they'll make loud noises - especially knowing that our conceptions will be ART and therefore a known factor rather than a spontaneous natural conception OOPS...

DH is very angry about the fact that all the fertility treatments are for women and not for men - Clomid made me mental enough I can't imagine full IVF drug protocols.

I think too that in NZ the publicly funded treatments are usually done with the best likelihood of success in mind - rather than seeing a reproductive endocrinologist privately who will attempt to fix systemic problems rather than just produce a child.

I can't remember what tests DH had with FAW but there's been no mention of anything other than low count/quality/motility. I actually need to chase them up and get our records sent to me so I can see what was tested for and what wasn't.

I do remember reading an article which stated as it only took one sperm to reach the egg severe MFI still achieved natural conceptions whereas a female with severe fertility issues was far less likely to - it's kinda stuck with me not that we've ever been that lucky so far - and I joke about a natural twin conception at 42 happening to me.

Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2015 at 9:32pm
I know they're conservative with drugs, but I know two ladies IRL who have done IVF in NZ (at two seperate clinics) - one had 8 frozen embies (and after 2 kids has 5 left in freezer), and the other has 11 embies (still to do transfers) - with PCOS I also am more likely to overstimulate...

I've already done IVM (kinda like mini-ivf) privately, and for me the drugs were WAY better than clomid (and doctor agreed that clomid was a horrible drug). Gonal F injections were suprisingly easy and didn't make me feel to bad at all, and egg collection was a reasonable non-event for me as well (not that they got many eggs from me as I didn't respond well to the ivm protocol - my eggs stayed too firmly attached to the follicles to be sucked out!).

I've also had a c-section, (which I too refer to as a scheduled c-section, not elective as if I had a choice I would have gone natural, just there was no other way to get DS out with his humungous head!) - I'm hoping if I ever get pregnant again to avoid having another one, as I know after 2 they won't be happy with me trying naturally.
We also wonder if we'll have a surprise when I'm 40 too - pretty much decided not to take permanent measures against more kids until we've got enough - and at the rate we're going that might not ever happen!
6+ yrs TTC#2
FET#2 - BFN
Oct 16 BFP
Haloumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haloumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2015 at 10:54am
Ah yes humungous head - DS1 was like that 39.5cm head and he was on his back with it tipped back - we got him crowned but that was it - took my GP (shared care back in the day) pushing from below, obstetrician pulling from above and my midwife and nurses holding my body down (thankfully I ended up with a GA) to get him out - Mum said it made a noise like a carrot out of wet clay POP!! I think we would've had a successful VBAC with DS2 if it hadn't been for no portable monitoring units being available during the labour - so I got stuck on the bed and he went from having his head scratched during AROM to the obstetrician unable to find him five hours later (on bed majority of the time other than toilet breaks).

I think with VBACs it comes down to your medical professionals that you choose supporting you or not.

We're going to have to travel an hour into FAW for treatment - and I don't drive so we'd love to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later as DH is currently on ACC and so home (but able to drive). But BECAUSE he's on ACC we're broke otherwise we would've paid for a WTF private appt.
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:55am
Hey - just seeing how everyone is doing?

We're still plodding along, going through all the pre-IVF workup tests. Hubby is getting sent for a testicular ultrasound to see if there is any visible reason he isn't producing enough sperm/good enough quality. Don't think they'll find anything (from looking online MFI is 90% of the time unclear as to reason) - but one more thing we have to check off the list. Apparently last year when we did IVM his results came back with really low motility and morphology as well - don't know if it's a trend, but will now be adding IMSI to our cycle (extra cost of $750) to try and pick normal looking sperm to use.
6+ yrs TTC#2
FET#2 - BFN
Oct 16 BFP
Haloumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haloumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:43am
Ah well would you believe just as I'd done CD21 bloods, DH had done his bloods and samples and we were waiting for CD2 for me... well CD2 didn't turn up but two very strong lines on a HPT did!! So we're kinda in shock here three days later and I will be interested to see what DH's SA count was. The only thing I can put my finger on was DH was back on the zinc supplementation. Will keep you posted - I doubt his count would suddenly jump any higher than 5mil - so I guess you just have to believe miracles do happen.
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:27pm
Yay Haloumi!! That's pretty much my story when we got pregnant with our DS. Wishing you a happy and event-free 9 mths!
6+ yrs TTC#2
FET#2 - BFN
Oct 16 BFP
 Post Reply Post Reply