FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNot Interested

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ash0071 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash0071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not Interested
    Posted: 10 June 2017 at 12:48pm
Hi All

I am here today asking help for my 2.6 year old that is not interested in learning. He loves to look at books, watch educational youtube videos etc, but does NOT want to know any colours, letters, shapes. He has been going to a daycare since 9months and I was under the assumption that they teach and asses whether my boy knows his basics but I may be wrong. I only recently found out that he doesn’t know any of colours, shapes, letters. He only knows songs from memory, but doesn’t recognise any of them. We have been trying to teach him but he calls everything green, and this week its blue. So I tried teaching him letters, only A, B and C. he won’t remember them after moving from letter A to B. I really don’t know what to do? He is addicted to youtube videos of were going on lion hunt, bear hunt, wheels on the bus etc and I am limiting all of these. I know this should have never been started but an unfortunate habit that is hard to break.

I have heard from a friend that their daughter goes to Porse at home care, its expensive but she knows all of her colours, numbers and letters. The best part is that she recognises all of them. I want my son to be able to know these basics and have the right attitude for learning.

So today I am here asking you whether I need to place my child in different care? Porse, kindergarten or do something different? Help me mould my boys future education.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Laz123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laz123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 2:15pm
At 2.6 I wouldn't be overly worried. My oldest was like a sponge and just absorbed everything. Colours, letters, time telling from a really early age. My lovely little middley who is 4 and 3 months is totally different. It took her a really long time to learn her colours but she got there and is great now. I also found if I said "find something red" she could rather than "what colour is this" which never really got us the answer we were looking for. She is only now learning her numbers and letters in prep for school in 9 months time. She goes to a preschool where they start prepping for school at 4. She is on par with her peers but is different to her brother. It's hard not to compare but try not to and remember that there is still so much time before these things need to be learned. Hope this reassures you a little.
Lulu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 7:39pm
Like Laz says, i wouldn't be worried at all. The daycare/kindy teachers will approach you if they suspect any issues and you should maybe talk to them about your expectations. But at his age its totally normal not to know numbers, colours etc. Its much better that his learning is child focussed -so if he has an interest then work with that.. eg my son is obsessed with earth moving equipment so we do stuff like count diggers on a page, or line his toys up in size order, or divide into types (eg cars, trucks, diggers)... so he is slowly learning maths and numbers (he is 3.5 and still gets numbers mixed up when counting) but more importantly he is having fun.
I have a beautiful son (3yo) amd ttc since September 2014. MMC September 2016.
 Post Reply Post Reply