FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAre there hospital-based midwifes in Wellingon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andykim01224010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andykim01224010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are there hospital-based midwifes in Wellingon?
    Posted: 26 June 2017 at 9:08pm
Hi all

We are first time posters, happily reporting a positive pregnancy test last week.

Now the search is on for a LMC, but we are confused about the system in Wellington.   We want to make a decision between hospital and community based midwives, but don't know if hospital-based midwives even exist in this region.

As background, we thought that there was a choice in NZ between community or hospital-based midwifes, for example see this link: Link

As we see that in Auckland, this choice is also made explicit on the relevant website for parents-to-be: Link

In Wellington, however, the two relevant websites we have found don't address this. The first seems focused on obstetricians, and the second seems to assume that readers want a community midwife, and that people should only contact the hospital board if they can't find one:
Link 1
Link 2

Does anyone know what gives?!
Sponsored Links

ristari224640 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ristari224640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 5:09pm
Hi AndyKim,

I know this is a late reply, but I stumbled on your post as I am looking for a LMC recommendations here. we also just found out we're pregnant with our first after IVF treatment.

I had a look at the links you provided for Auckland and found this: If you choose a hospital birth, you can receive your maternity care from:
•an independent community-based midwife
•a general practitioner, assisted by hospital midwives who attend the labour and birth and providing postnatal care
•a hospital maternity team of midwives and doctors
•a private obstetrician, with hospital midwives or an independent midwife to assist with labour and birth and provide postnatal care.

So the "hospital-based midwives" is part of a team - same as in wellington - so you get seen by whoever is rostered on.

Whereas if you book in with a community midwife, you only see them (or their partner/backup). they will still attend your birth in hospital of course, but you dont have to go to hospital for all your appointments.

I think they recommend the community midwife as most people prefer having the single point of contact and continuity of care than having to go through the hospital system.

Hope that helps and have managed to find a midwife!
 Post Reply Post Reply