FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoney Saving Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Money Saving Ideas
    Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:04pm
I did a quick search on this and didn't find much. I also wasn't sure if I should put this in here or product reviews...

I'm looking for ideas on how to save money and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would find this useful..

Obvious ones I can think of are:

- Using cloth nappies over disposables
- Using flannels over wipes (the fuzzi buns rep that came to my house suggested cutting up chux cloths and using them as well)

But that's about where my ideas stop short? I know there are some creative people on here who can think of some more for me hehe
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:17pm
One we do is we have our own vege garden. It is great not having to buy veges in the summer time and being able to go and just pick what you need for dinner (thinking lettuce here). Seeds don't cost all that much and it is fun (well I have had fun) watching everything grow.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:34pm
We have a big garden as well, and it is fantastic, and everything tastes so much nicer! I do find that some "cheaper" products, such as dish wash liquid are a false economy. uuummm, let me see. The best way I have found to save money is to take a set amount of cash out each week to do everything, and not use eftpos at all. it makes you very aware where every dollar goes, as I found, i was just eftposing everything and not really taking any notice what I was spending. beleive it or not, we saved over $100 some weeks! (i'm a shocker...)
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:12pm
I cook meals from scratch mostly (ie avoid Dolmio's etc on a general night-to-night basis), and do my absolute best to avoid mid-week grocery shopping. At one point I decided I was going to buy one block of cheese per 2 weeks (or was it 4??) and if we ran out in the meantime, we'd have to make do. If you have a big freezer you can make meals two at a time and that reduces the need for take-outs when you don't feel like cooking.

Ummm... wash in cold water, pack lunch, don't use the heated towel rail (takes too long anyway), the kids mostly wear tidy second-hand clothes from friends who have stopped their families just before us, that's all I can think of for now but there's probably heaps I do just as a habit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:27pm
I buy alot of near new and new pumpkin patch stuff of trade me for next to nothing, so Jake always has good quality clothes that wear nicely and fit him well, and have cost me hardly anything. If you find out you are having a boy, I will be listing a whole heap of little boys new born and 3 to 6 months winter clothes to sell shortly.
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:34pm
Definitely go cloth - it has saved us heaps! and the amount we go through a day they've probably already paid for themselves

yep - Trade Me is the best for baby clothes!
Up until they are crawling nothing ever happens to the clothes other than getting drooled on and PP is always great quality (and looks good too) and after your bubs has outgrown them you can put them back on Trade Me and try to make your money back
It's also good for the big ticket items like change stations etc not much damage can be done to those
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 9:39pm

Yeeeep, Trade Me is great for bargains.  My little bit of money-saving advice about it though, is not to browse on Trade Me!  I find if I just go on there when there is something specific that I want to buy 2nd hand and only look for that item, I can grab a real bargain.  The moment I start browsing round stuff just to have a looksie is when I end up bidding on something I really didn't need. 

Make bassinette bedding out of a new cotton flanelette bedsheet (a large sheet makes 4 bassinette ones, and you really don't need fitted sheets for something that small!)

If using disposables and wipes - stock up on your fave brands when they're on special. 

Get (or make... a small clothes airer would work) a playgym that you can change the toys over on, so that when bubs gets bored of it, swapping the toys around with other pram clip-on ones, or whatever baby is interested in, is like a whole new playgym each time!

Andie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 10:06pm
Could I be so cheeky to say that breastfeeding is free too? You do save heaps, I notice it now I am not, and have to use toddler formula as Jj sensitive to cows milk. Can i also note here that I had no milk supply, I am one of those women that cannot physically breastfeed natuarally. If you are one of the very very small percent of women who cannot mediaclly produce milk, they will give you milk producing medication, and it rocks. I am fully expecting to have to use them again this time around, but cannot fathom spending over $30 a week on two lots of formula! I have lots and lots of milk producing tips, so if it is a problem, shout out!
Oh, and a side note, no offence intended to bottle feeders, or if you are intending to bottle feed! it's all good!
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 6:55am
Originally posted by jacobsmama jacobsmama wrote:

Could I be so cheeky to say that breastfeeding is free too?

Oh yeah! forgot about that one
We really noticed the pinch when we had to go on formula. It's not just the formula but EVERYTHING that goes with bottle feeding
BUT... you can also get bottles and sterilisers etc on Trade Me (dunno if I would buy secondhand teats though?!?!)
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 7:41am
I think my only one is kid's don't need alot of toy's it is really easy to make stuff just as exciting specially for baby like andie said use a cloth rack as a gym if you have time and can sew or know someone that can get some scrap matrial and make floor mat's you can even make them with different texture's etc. We have lernt this Alan does not have alot of toy's, but some of his best's one's have been milk bottle and peg's. When shopping at a supermarket stock up and only go once a week or every 2 week's is good you tend to spend less. O hnad if you are wanting to save open a account under babies name then make it so you can't access the money wothout going into the bank. Kid's account's don't usually have any fee's or need a deposit to open.
Oh yeah ditto on the BF thing I really noticed it when I stopped with Mikey.

Edited by Mummy22
Deborah Mum to:

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 8:01am
the local library - save money one books - however, if your child is a "ripper" you may find that more expensive. lol!
I make a list of everyone's birthday's and mother's day etc, bascially everyone I have to buy presents for throughout the year, and when sales come up, I buy stuff and put it away. Make sure you don't put it somewhere too safe though.
Vege gardens are great and some things you can plant in big p[ot if you are renting...beans, tomatoes, strawberries.
I'm planing on going to a budget advisor this year and working out how to get form HERE (basiacally in debt) to HERE (with a house...more debt I guess...ick)
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 7:56pm
Going cloth for sure!! Thank goodness that is something we don't have to pay for! I even wish I was still breastfeeding so I didn't have to pay for formula (and I kinda miss the closeness!).

If you're going to go cloth why not go the whole hog...when you get your period back go cloth there too. I use mama pads and they rock! Or you can use a mooncup if you're not a pad girl. I love not having to buy pads and tampons every month not to mention liners (I use cloth there as well)...it saves me a small fortune!

A vege garden is another great idea...we're going to start one this year. I'm starting with herbs and working my way up. I also want to do tomatoes and lettuces and anything else I can stick in a pot.

We do a meal plan each fornight and we cook from scratch and we no longer get takeaways. B takes his lunches to work and no longer buys them. Again saves us a fortune. Our shopping bill is $200 a fornight including Maddie's formula. Very rarely do we go over. I also bake our own biscuits. May seem small but again saves a lot of money, especially if you like your sweet treats.

We tend to stick with the home brands range or signature range or whatever is on special. Ecostore is our only extravagence but even then that works out cheaper than other products.

I think that's all I can think of, other than to add....trade me is your friend (but only if you do your research and don't go over your limit or spend the same on an item as you'd spend in the stores!).

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 8:38pm
Other thing that makes a big difference it to change the temp on your geyser. Just bring it down a little bit and your power bill will come down a lot.

Dont bake unless you have a lot of baking to do.

Set up lines in the garage to let clothes dry a bit first when it is raining outside before you put it in the tumble dryer.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 9:38pm
We got a 3 tiered clthes hanger when we had Ayja, it's wonderful and fits about 2 loads of washing on it.. we used that alot.

Flannels definately - get a few dozen and they are great. we don't use wipes.

Wait till Tnt has one of it's sales and go grabs some plastic backed bibs. When i was preg with Ayja i got about 2 doxen blastic backed bibs for 50 cents each, was great. (also realised bibs without plastic backing were pretty, but a waste of time.. )

Have baby in with you if winter baby. that way you only have your room to heat instead of heating bubs room and yours (or going cold!)

Stock up on your beauty products now.. so you don't have to buy them .. i mean make-up, body stuff, it all adds up.

I do lots of meals that make up heaps, and either freeze half for another night, or divide it into two containers and we take it to work for lunches.

Stop buying lunch!, I know, sounds boring, makes you feel like a kid at school taking packed lunch (all the reasons mike hates it) but whoa, if you tally up sometimes what you spend in a day/a week on bought stuff.. maybe a few coffees, late arvo snacks, lunch, morning tea.. even for one person.. we figured for mike was at least $40 a week or more! (and that was only going to a bakery which is nice and cheap)

toy librarys etc are good.

i buys at sales too. End of season i go and buy the girls wardrobe int he size up for the next year, and when that rolls around just get a couple of new season things to spruce up last seasons stuff. If you can get in when the first start.. sometimes you can grab things for mega cheap.
I don't buy pumpkin patch or JK. Yes they are gorgeous, yes good quality. But my kids are at daycare alot.. so plain shorts na d tee or skivvys and bottleg tights are fine.. and other stuff, gets worn on weekends around home - so is Tnt, which has nice stuff, cheap on sale, and does the trick. (they do have a couple of realllly good pp outfits for special stuff)

There's lots, just think of the stuff you wouldn't have bought when you first went out flatting.. ie as you progress on in life and get more money it's funny the things you come to 'need' Look at what the budget will be once you go down to 1 wage, and try to stick to that in the meantime while you still have 2 wages, putting away the extra money.

Get rid of extra stuff on Trade-me that you don't use anymore. lol.. (easier when you know you're not having any more kids)

Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 3:36am
Yeah Trade Me is great- brilliant for selling the things you no longer need and picking up bargains.

Toy Libraries- kids get bored of the same toys pretty quickly so if you join one of these they get a different range every few weeks and you only have to pay a joining fee.

Birthdays/Xmas- if people ask you what you want/need for bubs, say vouchers. That way you can buy what you want when you need it and wait for sales so you get it on special.

Grocery shop online- write a list of what you need and then online buy those things. You're far less likely to be tempted into buying extras that you don't need. And shop on a full tummy! You always buy more when you're hungry.

When you need to buy something have a good hunt around on the net/around the shops for the cheapest one. When we bought our travel system it ranged by over $300 between stores for the exact same system.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 9:00am
You can also try grocery shopping early in the day. You're fresh and the bakery smells haven't got going yet, so you'll impulse buy a lot less.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 9:14am
I know all about buying lunchs, DH buys his and we worked that out to be about $50-60 a week. And I also buy mine, I however don't spend as much as him but it's still about $35 a week. I don't mind it so much at the moment but it's one thing I know there will be a little tension over as he's just going to have to be prepared and remember to do his lunch the night before or something when we go down onto one income because it saves so much money.

Yay there is so many good ideas here though! And at least it's written down so my preggy forgetful brain can't just forget them!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 10:30am
I second the online shopping....saves us $50-$60 on our grocery bill! We went into the shop this fornight and totally stuffed up our shop and have had to "top up" so it's back to online for us!

The other thing you can do is get rid of a car. We're lucky that it's only about a 20-25 min walk to the shops, library etc from where we are. Brendan is starting to ride to work again next week now that his bike is fixed. All up that means his car is getting the heave ho and we'll only keep mine. It will save you a fortune in petrol, maintance, WOF, registration etc if you can go down to one car. (not to mention all that walking has the bonus of getting you fit!)

luna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 1:24pm
These are all great ideas. I have been thinking of some ways to save money in the longer term too, here's 2 ideas from me (which may not apply to everyone):

We are going to buy a phone/answerphone system as we have Telecom Message Minder ($7 per month!), it'll take over a year to 'pay off' the answerphone, but save more in the long run.

If you have someone mow your lawns, see if you can buy a cheapee lawnmower. Even if you do interest free, HP on one at the same rate as what you're currently paying for mowing.

Paws .. you are sooo right about cars .. we can't go down to one, but we are going to look at selling both this year to reorganise things (DH currently owns a V8 Holden ... yee gads it's expensive to run).
Selina

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 1:37pm

And wth mowing the lawns you also get some exercise. I love doing our lawns just for the little bit of exercise I get.

There are some cans of food that we have that can't be anything but Watties. So to allow us to have them we only buy them on sale (and stock up a bit on them when on sale). And we go generic in other things.

Have a look at your mobile spending as well. You may find that you spend a alot on txting then look at changing companies. I did this and my monthly bill went from $80 to $30. I did have to buy a new phone but after 6 months it had been paid for with the amount I ws saving on the new plan.

Use the discounts the shopping places are giving away when you do your shopping. We save $8 a month, it doesn't sound like much but add it up and its $96 a year.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>