FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtoilet training anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toilet training anyone?
    Posted: 23 January 2007 at 1:07pm
anyone else want to talk about the trials and tribulations of toilet training.

I think a lot of us have started, are thinking of starting or have already been thru it so might have some useful info.

I nearly lost it this morning at poor gabriel. Any one got any ideas on how to get him to do no 2's in the toilet?

maybe if we get enough good info we could make it a sticky?

Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 2:50pm
Maybe I'll just sticky it anyway!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 4:16pm
The only way I have encourage Han to do poos is to make "straining" faces at her on the toilet. Completely bloody ridiculous I tell ya!

And good timing. If I saw her start to pull the poo face I used to rush her to the toilet. Seriously rush. Like the world was ending.

Have you tried the potty? This is going to sound terrible... but also sometimes if Hannah is blatantly refusing to go to the toilet (yay for the strong willed child) then I sit her in front of the TV on the potty. (I figure good toileting habits can come later )

But then you have days like yesterday... where Hannah had poos on her hand and her foot but no "pile" to be found. I am dreading the day I find this mystery poo. I'm hoping like hell she was just playing with it because if I find a month old log in my wardrobe I will not be a happy camper.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 4:39pm
i have never seen him make a pooing face..??? if he was regular that might help too.... but no not my boy...

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 4:45pm
My son was terrified and I would do things like sit on the floor while he sat up on the toilet, I tried giving him books to read, sticker charts the works. I never used potty's with either of them... and then one day out of the blue, he went on his own and we never looked back, I think it's all about timing, perservance, patience, all that mummy stuff. My daughter was fine, went on the loo no problems, no accidents, she just decided that it was time for her to be a "big" girl. She did however require one of us to be there with her, and she'd lean forward and wrap her arms around your leg while she did what needed to be done.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 4:59pm

I did the sticker chart with Andrew to get him to do poos. After he realised that he would get a sticker for doing them in the toilet he was doing them in there all the time. Haven't had an accident since the sticker chart. He somehow knew that once the sticker chart was full he had done good and he has continued to do them in there. I used winnie the pooh stickers (as he loves Tigger) and when the sticker chart was full he got a Thomas DVD. He knew there was an incentive to do it and just did it. He also went all the time at daycare but never got a sticker there (maybe the first few times)

Andrew was also never big on the potty and went straight on the toilet.

I have heard of people cutting a hole in the nappy so the poos can come out and the child still has the nappy on and therefore fell more secure about doing them in the toilet. Also sometimes children are afraid to do them on the toilet as they are flushed away and its like a bit of them has been flushed away. Also the sound of the poos hitting the water may frighten some children. To stop that putting paper in the toilet first can stop the "plonking" sound.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 5:20pm
One thing I've thought of but never done, is a sticker straight on the hand instead of a sticker chart. For a 2yo that is, because their memory is so short.

And most of the TT process really just comes down to patience and perserverance. For a lot of people it takes 6-8 months (and Hannah was one of those), just stick with it, be encouraging, and don't flip-flop with nappies and undies on any given day (except for sleep times) because it can just cause confusion.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by mummy_becks mummy_becks wrote:

I have heard of people cutting a hole in the nappy so the poos can come out and the child still has the nappy on and therefore fell more secure about doing them in the toilet.

Noooo! Not the cloth nappies!!!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by nikkiwhyte nikkiwhyte wrote:

But then you have days like yesterday... where Hannah had poos on her hand and her foot but no "pile" to be found. I am dreading the day I find this mystery poo. I'm hoping like hell she was just playing with it because if I find a month old log in my wardrobe I will not be a happy camper.

Sorry Nikki, that had me in hysterics!!
We had our first 'poo's in knickers' experience yesterday and that was bad enough, I'm so not looking forward to hidden poo's!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 6:50pm

Good point Nikki, not the cloth nappies, only the disposable. Considering the cost of the cloths I wouldn't be cutting holes in them.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 8:50pm
We never had a problem with number twos but we did make a game/joke out of how loud he could make it go plop and now he goes big one coming mummy, going to be big plop (TMI i know sorry) also we found some cool wiggles toddler wipes at the supermarket. they are just like wipes and in a container like the baby wipes but have the wiggles on the front and they are fruit scented. we used them when my friends we girl was coming each week cos she didnt like doing poos in the toilet, so they were allowed to use the special wiggles wipes if she did poos.

I read somewhere that once you make the call to toilet train dont go back to nappies, at the time i thought this was totally impractical but i think it does really work, it only took kobe 10 days before he got the hang of it and 3 weeks before he was having no accidents and a month before he was dry at night too.

Im trying to decide if i should be encouraging Kobe to stand up when he pees or if that doesnt come till later

Edited by my2angels
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:06pm
I guess it simply depends on his height? Hehe Mrs mum of three girls here so scrap that if you want
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 9:18am
jack always stands up when he pees........because he only does it on the carpet!!!
he has started taking his nappy off now and running around with no pants on, so i always find lots of wet patches on the floor. i have to sellotape his nappy on him now, and everytime we take it off to change him he says 'toilet' so i tell him to go into the bathroom and he just runs off to his bedroom. if i get him into the bathroom and onto the toilet he just sits there.
a couple mins off the loo and he's peeing on the floor!!!!
if i could just get him to go on the loo once, i think maybe he would get the idea......? i've got some stamps to put on his hand when he does go..finally

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 9:45am
Vanessa have you tried reading him a story while he is on the toilet? the first time kobe said toilet it was completely out of the blue so off we went, and ended up waiting there for half an hour. the next time we took a story and that kept him on there for ages. probably not the most hygenic place to read stories but it works.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 9:47am
i have had gabriel in full time undies since the 2 jan (a new years resolution of sorts) and before that we were sitting him on the toilet every night before his bath to get him used to it....after being in undies full time it took him threee days to finally pee on the toilet... there was nearly a party in the toilet that day.!
I so nearly lost it at him yesterday when he pooed in his undies again....but i know that will be bad.!!! so am trying to be patient mummy - not a role i play very well at all tho.

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 9:50am
yeah its frustrating when you know they know to go to the toilet aye. Kobe had an accident on christmas day, to much excitment and toys and children to play with i think but in the middle of trying to get a big cooked lunch for 25 people it was the last thing i needed. Managed to keep my patience, just!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 8:53pm
We are doing our first night with no pull up on. Should be interesting.
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 9:26pm
Good luck!
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 9:52pm
my son is 3.5 years and he has just successfully tt, I started about a fortnight ago as I wanted him out of nappies before he went back to kindy, first day was a right off accidents all day, second day he got the wees down pat he was not keen on toilet so we have a larger potty with a lift out insert so we would go off to the toilet and he would flush it away, no 2 accident was yuck! First night he woke up dry was amazed, he continued to go wees successfully and 3rd day got him on the big toilet with insert thought he was neat!! He won the past the parcel pressie at my nephews birthday that week and we told him when he did poo on the big toilet he could have it, naughty I know, well took him 3 days and he yelled out poos coming and ran to the loo ... boy did we have a party.... he got the present it was a hotwheels car crusher. He has been dry coming up 2 weeks at night and going great during the day, he tends to have accidents when we are out and about as he is not keen to go on other people toilets hehehe but I'm sure we will get there. Patience is the key good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 10:24am
Well I ended up putting a pull up on him at about 10.30pm as he refused to go toilet. Then this morning he comes into me saying he needs to go wees and the pull up is dry. I think he knows that he needs to wait till the morning, so tonight all going well i'm not going to lose the plot and just let him go without a pull up and if he doesn't want to do wees when I wake him up then thats ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>