FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTea Tree Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tea Tree Oil
    Posted: 04 June 2007 at 1:58pm
So it was asked (but not answered) on another thread, and I'd like to know the answer as well. Where do you buy Tea Tree Oil from? Say your city/area and the shop... please
Sponsored Links

Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:07pm
Otorohanga & Waitomo Districts

Supermarkets & Pharmacies & Health shops all have it here
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:29pm
Palmy - Any chemist should have it but I get mine from Radius at the Palms as thats our dr's. Have gotten it from the one in the plaza as well.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:29pm
Christchurch
Supermarkets, Health shops, Pharmacies and anywhere that sells essential Oils and Incense like Gipsy's and Inspirations.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 2:42pm
i get mine from greenbeans cause it is genuine kiwi ti tree oil, not that aussie stuff. (which was linked to boys getting breasts a wee while back and was being investigated.)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 3:20pm
Don't you want your boys to have breasts Deborah?
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 9:15am
Originally posted by gandt gandt wrote:

i get mine from greenbeans cause it is genuine kiwi ti tree oil, not that aussie stuff. (which was linked to boys getting breasts a wee while back and was being investigated.)

HUH??!?!

Ours is a Kiwi Tea Tree oil. I bought it at the Titirangi Village Market but I have seen Aussie brands in the chemists (Life Pharmacy do a good range of "alternative" treatments)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 4:53pm
Toni - there are two different kinds of oil marketed as Tea Tree. One is from an australian plant / tree, and had a study done on it that found that in some cases it stimulated the production of excess estrogen in boys, causing things like gynaecomastia (sp?) aka man boobs. The NZ based stuff is OK though, no nasties in it.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 7:19pm
Gisborne has it at desmond road pharmacy. not sure about other areas as just saw and bought while waiting for a prescription
BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 2:23pm

*BUMP*

I've been on the hunt for TTO and since seeing this all the ones I've found seem to be Australian.

What's the ones some of you are using??
I've looked at cheeky wipes one, and a few supermarket and chemists ones?

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 2:58pm
i'm running out of my greenbeans ti tree oil so would like to know as well.

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 3:44pm
I'm just using the Aussie one, as it seems to be most prevalent on the market! From what I can tell, the tea tree plants in NZ and Aussie are slightly different, but very similar plants. The studies that were done relating to tea tree oil possibly promoting estrogen in boys used the Australian version (meleluca). Because the oils would be very similar chemically, my guess would be the NZ (leptospermum) version may well have the same effects?

I think if you go for a NZ tea tree oil, choose it because it's home-grown and more than likely organic! I'd be interested too to find a cheapish NZ one, as we use a couple of drops in Natalie's bath everyday to help with any eczema, so go through it reasonably quickly.

(I know this is a bit of a novel, but I was genuinely curious as to the possible side-effects on pre-pubescent boys - btw, the only 3 reported cases were boys that were using products containing either tea tree oil or lavender on an almost daily basis).

ETA: i was just looking at some more googling and apparently some NZ manufacturers are now labeling the oil as Manuka oil, rather than tea tree oil.

Edited by blondy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 7:41pm
Hmm ok. Well I want it to use in my cloth wipes bucket, also for in the wash.
Will look out for Manuka oil aswell then.
Sarah Mum to,

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 7:59pm
Greenbeans still has it on their website for sale...is that not right anymore? I need to get some for the nappy bucket too...
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 3:56pm
I got mine from Tweedle and it says it's made in NZ but then it also says melaleuca...?

ETA Kate, I think Greenbeans do still have it but if you're not buying anything else then the postage from there doesn't really make it worthwhile. Fine if you're buying other stuff of course

Edited by weegee

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 12:07am
I got mine from the Warehouse chemist.
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 1:29pm
Anyone have an alternative, TT oil gives my DD a rash. I want to use it in my wipes bucket but have finally worked out thats what is giving her nappy rash after forgetting to put it in for a while then re using it yesterday!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 3:05pm

Someone found a site that had a few solutions, wish I kept the site but I did write down one receipe, that I knew I had all ingredients for.
 2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons eco store (or something similar) baby wash

MIx well together, keep in a spray bottle. Wet a wipe with water from tap, spray bottle around a bit, spray wipe with solution. Use.

I haven't tried it yet...... 

Sarah Mum to,

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 5:59pm
Kieracat - have you tried using lavender oil? It has a lot of similar properties to tea tree but is a bit gentler...
E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 10:20am
No I haven't tried lavender oil. Might just try ecostore baby oil and see how that goes.
Luckily her rash seems to be going quickly this time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>