FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElevit Review?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jodieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jodieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevit Review?
    Posted: 02 July 2009 at 11:57am
Hi, What do you guys think about this review on elevit? Has anyone tried it and found it good?

Thanks
Jodie
Sponsored Links

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 3:34pm
I used Elevit (a 30 day pack) in my first trimester and think that its a total waste of money.. I then switched to a generic multi-vit (with folic acid) and by 14 weeks I have to admit I became very slack with taking them.. However, I had a very well-balanced healthy diet - I didn't cut anything out that I would normally eat pre-pregnancy and I felt fantastic.

I think the cost of Elevit is just ridiculous and I have never for a second believed that its the 'be all and end all' of pregnancy multi-vits. I actually can't believe that many pharmacists push it as hard as they do. I only used it as DH went to the chemist for me and 3 sales assistants basically told him that Elevit was the 'be all and end all'.. That was including the Pharmacist!
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 7:27pm
hated it. As I've said in most threads on the subject (sorry ). It's really expensive. Some people have no problems but I had wicked tummy problems as a result - as soon as I came off it I was fine. I took folic acid ($3 for 3 months supply) and that was all. I had a reasonable diet but would have just taken supplements if my GP/MW had recommended them. I have big issues with the advertising of it and feel it's a bit misleading.

** off soapbox **
Mum to two wee boys
Ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2009 at 11:28am
I'm taking it, but only because I spent so much getting the big box.

In the first 3 months I was taking the Go Healthy pregnancy vit, plus their folic acid, which was much better than a really cheap one I'd been on earlier (which fell apart in your mouth - ick). I found them easy to take and really good. Then I ran out and switched to the Elevit I'd already bought (DH got me he Go Healthy ones).

I wish I'd just listened to DH and got more instead of getting the Elevit. They're not as easy to swallow and    they make a me a little constipated I think. Not worth the benefit of the single tablet.

Turtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2009 at 2:44pm
I asked my doctor about Elevit and she said it was completely unnessesary. I'd had all my blood checked and as long as I kept up with a balanced diet and took the folic acid that was all I needed. She said the only time she would ever prescibe Elevit to someone was if they got pregnant within six months of giving birth.
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2009 at 11:17pm
My mw told me a few times that most vitamins (including Elevit) are simply money down the drain.
Folic acid is important, which you'll get prescribed by your dr or mw. And sometimes you'll have to take additional iron supplement. Vit C is ok. And if you have a lot of cramping in your legs magnesium tablets work very well.
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 9:18am
I think that elevit made my M/S worse and I got the bloating and constipation too, I think that Elevit is just too much stuff squished into a little pill and our bodies struggle to break it all down.
Developing babies need such tiny amounts of vitamins that they should be able to to get most of it from your diet. Except obviously iron and folic acid
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 9:53pm
I just took a folic acid supplement (Red Seal, I think) throughout my pregnancy, and iron tabs in the last trimester when my iron levels were low.
I remember when I was in my first trimester, there were heaps of women on here saying that Elevit was making their morning sickness worse. So I wouldn't recommend it.
jssbxtr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jssbxtr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 8:13am
I took Elevit and found it to really do nothing for me. From what I have heard it is important to have some sort of multivitamin to help cope but would have to say Elevit was a waste of money.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 11:07am
i got told same as Ella that foic acid i had to take but that they don't recommend taking anything else except iron /vit c later on anymore..
Mum to two amazing boys!
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 2:27pm
Funny my Dr recommended I take it, but that may have been because I was living on crumpets with vegemite It did make my ms worse and it gives me heartburn so I stopped when they ran out after my 13 week scan.

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 3:16pm
I reckon its the Folic Acid in it that makes you feel sick. I have opted for Clinicians Pregavit instead which was way cheaper and has less FA in it.

LILLIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2009 at 10:29am
i take elevit and it is about to run out.... not sure if it is doing anything for me or not.
I might go and see my doc and see what she thinks before i go and waste more $$ on it
yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 6:00pm
I take 'Pregnacare' which I guess is the same as Elevit, but only because my friend had a huge supply left over that she gave to me Prior to that, I'd been taking folic acid while we were TTC.

Milliemoo
Lizze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 3:12pm
i started off taking elevit (prior to getting pregnant as well) and the constipation put me off.
My naturopath put me onto something else which was a more pure form of vitamin, so easier for the body to absorb and no constipation, so I took that for a month and then swapped to Thompsons pregnacare.

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2009 at 10:49pm
I got told the elevit was just bad, and since folic acid is only really needed the first trimester then there is no need for it to be in a 'multi vitamin'
I also believe the 'cheaper' brand are just as good if not better then elevit
neyul209654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neyul209654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 2:03am
I have used elevit for 2 times of pregnancy, I think it's ok for me. But there are many complaints or negative elevit reviews that I've read. For sure, you should ask your doctor before using.
 Post Reply Post Reply