FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcolour difference in Breastmilk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: colour difference in Breastmilk
    Posted: 23 December 2009 at 2:23pm
Just wondering if anyone can tell me why when i expressed the other day the milk was whiteish and today when i expressed on the same side it was really creamy coloured

I expressed both from scratch (ie not after feeding that side) and i only managed to get 35mls both times taking about 10mins and then it slowed so it wasnt streaming out anymore and was more dripping into bottle.

Its the side my son seems to have trouble latching to and its become excruciating so i have expressed to give myself a bit of a break.

Sponsored Links

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 2:46pm
The foremilk is generally a more whitesh colour and the hindmilk contains more fat. The hindmilk starts about 5-15mins into feeding.
I.e, the first part of the feed is to quench thirst, the 2nd part is the 'food' part.

Edited by Kellie

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 2:55pm
breast milk can be lots of different shades of "cream/white" I think someone ages ago now posted a topic cos their milk was a yellow colour.
And yep, the hind milk is richer so it will be a creamer colour

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 2:58pm
It also changes with the temperature, hot day it will be more watery

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 3:21pm
congrats on the arrival of gorgeous Jesse-Ryan Lou x
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 3:25pm
all of the above..congrats!

oh and if he is a newborn...dont worry about the 35ml that might be all he is taking to start with...takes a while to build up to the 200ml toddlers drink...and bubs gets more out of you that you do.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 4:12pm
Breast milk come sin all colours, the yellow is creamier, white tends to be more watery, some people even have a greenish tinge to their breastmilk - all normal.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 4:18pm
OH Thanks heaps!!
And thanks Jazzy.

Funny that despite being number 3 (albiet big gaps) theres still so much to worry about
 Post Reply Post Reply