FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBooster Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kicker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Booster Seats
    Posted: 17 October 2010 at 8:05pm
I am sure that there are previous threads on this but my search function is not working so:

Tell me about booster seats. Can anyone recommend a good one, there seem to be lots out there. Is there any with a 5 or 3 point harness that last beyond 4yrs, i would rather that than an adult seatbelt. My daughter is 3yrs old and weighs about 15kgs at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 8:14pm
I have a supernanny and Daniel is about the same size as your girl and it has a 5 point harness and it will last him a long time yet before I'll need to switch it to the seat belt
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 8:05am

My daughter has a supernanny too from www.babies.co.nz.  I love it because it's pink

DD1334

It has a 5 point harness which we used when she was a toddler.  It says it can be used up to 18kg (which she is now) but going by height too we had to switch to the adult seat belt when she was a little over 3 years old because the top harness strap was below her shoulder line.

It's a really good booster seat with seat belt guides and once she's older the back can be removed too so it's just a seat cushion booster which means that this carseat (which we bought when she was 1 yr old) will last until she's 148cms.

Covers are really easy to remove and wash too.

newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2010 at 12:27pm
We have one of these: car seat

Really good, easy to clean, and great price! Can be used with the harness up to 18kg
Kicker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 7:03am
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to swap around mine and DH car seat arrangement and hopefully won't need the booster for a while yet but will definately check out the options you guys suggested.

Thanks again.

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 9:23pm
Bumping this to get more reviews - going to have to get a booster seat shortly for DS, who's head is getting awfully close to the top of his convertible car seat!
He's about 90cm tall, just turned 2 but is not quite 12kgs. Does anyone want to recommend a great booster seat suitable for him, that won't break the bank?
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 10:06pm
not sure what would break the bank

i was thinking a monterey booster ($225) but he's about 6cm and 1.5kg off fitting one
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 10:32pm
The Monterey is great booster for older kids, 4/5 years onwards - it only uses the seatbelt (no harness), so not suitable for younger kids.

I did loads of research and ended up getting the Edinburgh Deluxe and we are very happy with it. It would last your boy for a long time, as it harnesses to 18kg, and after that can be used with the seatbelt. It's on special too, $120. I was originally looking at the Edinburgh Travel Booster when it was $90, but discovered the harness heights are much lower, so wouldn't last as long (you can't use the top slot in the Travel, but can in the Deluxe).
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 3:05pm
Thanks guys - that Edinburgh Deluxe seat looks like us, I wonder if I can convince DH to get it now while its on special?
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2011 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by whitewave whitewave wrote:

Thanks guys - that Edinburgh Deluxe seat looks like us, I wonder if I can convince DH to get it now while its on special?

You can lay-buy
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 10:39pm
Ooh, layby, that's helpful!
Arohanui, have you had any problems with your son falling asleep in this booster seat, and having his head loll forward? Just had this problem pointed out to me, and my son falls asleep in the car a lot!
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 8:01am
Last week we went to get our carseats checked by plunket and they said that 15kg is the minimum weight to transfer to a booster. The woman suggested we keep DD in her convertible seat for another 4 mths as she is only 15kg, which I found interesting.

We need to get two, so will probably get an edinburgh and the supernanny, or I quite like the look (and price!)of the Skep. It looks very similar to the edinburgh delux.

Edited by kabe

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 8:20am
I've been looking into booster seats. But my boy is 18kg now and i wouldn't trust with just an adult belt, so we're gonna get him an Evenflo Generations 65. Since it harnesses till 29kg.
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 8:30am
Originally posted by kabe kabe wrote:

Last week we went to get our carseats checked by plunket and they said that 15kg is the minimum weight to transfer to a booster. The woman suggested we keep DD in her convertible seat for another 4 mths as she is only 15kg, which I found interesting.

Do you think she meant a booster with only using the adult seatbelt, rather than a harnessed booster?
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 8:32am
Originally posted by whitewave whitewave wrote:

Ooh, layby, that's helpful!
Arohanui, have you had any problems with your son falling asleep in this booster seat, and having his head loll forward? Just had this problem pointed out to me, and my son falls asleep in the car a lot!

Sorry can't help here - my boy hasn't fallen asleep in the car for a while. Though it does have the 'wings' on the side their head can fall against.

If I had the money, I would have got a radian..
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by arohanui arohanui wrote:

Originally posted by kabe kabe wrote:

Do you think she meant a booster with only using the adult seatbelt, rather than a harnessed booster?

Not sure..maybe. I did say that i wanted one with a 5pt harness though, so who knows.

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 1:33pm
Has anyone got the Colorado harnessed booster seat from Farmers? Think its made by Jolly Jumper. My mum works there, and says there's 30% off only today. It sounds similar to the Edinburgh Deluxe, but I can't find any info on it on the internet.
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2011 at 11:04pm
I finally bought one! Kiwi Baby had Evenflo Generations booster seats at $279, and brown ones for a whole $100 cheaper at $179! Decided I shouldn't be fussy about the colour! Free shipping for purchase over $100 as well.
Alicia.la.ro195622 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alicia.la.ro195622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2015 at 7:57am
Ughhhh all the bad education everywhere! Edinburgh make crap seats, skep make crap seats, supernanny make crap seats. I haven't seen one good brand mentioned apart froma small comment about getting a radian if it could be afforded. People have plenty of time to prepare for kids so a good car seat should be top of the list, and all those are just crap!! 3 year Olds aren't ready for seat belt boosters. I am horrified. At 4, my daughter is still rear facing.
elizabeth_252 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elizabeth_252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 10:06am
Hey, I'm a bit late to the party but I was googling booster seat reviews and this came up. Alicia, are there any booster seats you would recommend? My son is almost six and still in his car seat but want to get a booster for the other car. How about Jolly Jumper or Cosco? Any advice?
 Post Reply Post Reply