FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStay at home mums with Toddlers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest_46654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_46654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stay at home mums with Toddlers
    Posted: 13 May 2014 at 5:54am
Hi there,
My name is Hannah, I'm a freelance journo and I'm writing an article for OH Baby! about a recent study in the States about stay at home mums vs working mums. A SAHM is three times more likely to suffer from depression than a working mum, and it is far more likely (but less known) to creep up when you are parenting a toddler than a new born.

Basically it's twofold. There is significantly more awareness out there for post natal depression and newborns, because of the hormones a woman has and because it is such a massive life change there is a lot of help for new mums. Once you have a toddler, or multiple children I think the expectation is that we can just manage. We place this on ourselves as much as anything.

Secondly, by the time your child is two, a lot of your coffee groups have disbanded or reduced in size as some mums return to work, some opt for more children etc. So you can definitely feel isolated and frustrated with yet another toddler tantrum - I know I've been there! I'm speaking to a psychologist about strategies to help mums feel fulfilled whether at home or at work and tips for learning to enjoy parenting your toddler again. What I'm looking for is anecdotes from women on the front line who know the challenges of parenting toddlers at home, or while working. I don't have to publish your name or details at all, although if anyone was willing to be open it would be a big help. From the articles perspective having one mum who is staying at home and loving it and can share her tips and tricks for escaping boredom would be great, and maybe another mum who has been at home but returned to work and it's working beautifully for her family.

Thanks in advance.
I look forward to hearing your stories.
Hannah
Sponsored Links

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:35pm
Well, the only perspective I can offer is one of a Mum who is a SAHM to two toddlers and a baby for part of the time, and also works part-time (two days a week). I find my days at work much 'easier' than my days at home (arguably less rewarding, of course), and can completely see where that research comes from! If you're stuck for other people who fit what you were looking for more, do drop me a line, I'm happy to help

Guest_46654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_46654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 9:20pm
Hi Hopes,

I'd love to talk to you! You sound like you might've struck a really good balance with sanity and enjoying your little ones, ha! I'm speaking to a psychologist this week, and i'll know more what questions I'd like to ask you after that. Can I email you after wednesday?

Thanks,
Hannah
spooky165358 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooky165358 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 5:08am
awwwww so sweet to know about you , i give you a suggestion . try these type of stuf when you are with your kids http://www.babyhaven.com/ to play n more enjoy.
God bless you <3
 Post Reply Post Reply