FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked19 month old sleep issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laurelhitchcock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurelhitchcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 19 month old sleep issues
    Posted: 25 June 2014 at 7:59pm
our 19 month old son has been a great self settler and generally sleeps really well at night. during the past three weeks he has become terrible to try and get settled for his night time sleep but okay for daytime sleep and often waking during the night. what techniques are best to help him through this transition period? he gets more upset if I leave him and try verbal reassurance at five, ten, 15 minute periods. he is not teething or unwell.
Sponsored Links

OHbaby! Web Manager View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OHbaby! Web Manager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 7:52pm
Hi not sure if you're till having this problem but we had something similar with my son at that age and i did gradual withdrawal, stood by his cot softly said mummy's here over and over and moved further away each night, eventually standing by the door, then outside the door then shutting the door. i also responded to each night time waking the same.
also if he mucked around and threw toys at me I would leave the room for about 20 secs and then return. he got the message that mummy stays if you lie down nicely.
it did pass i think it might have been some type of seperation anxiety and it did take me a couple of weeks to resolve as i didn't want to use any crying method.
Talz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 8:16pm
Think it's that blimmin 18month sleep regression they talk about Laurel! We had the same thing and just had to persevere and not change your routine too much at all and like a light switch they changed back finally! Stick to your guns and stick with the verbal reassurance, I think VR is the best method, but each to their own. Sorry not much help, but it is usually one of those 'phases'they talk about and it does pass.

http://sleeplady.com/toddler-sleep-problems/18-month-sleep-regression/

Talz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 8:17pm
It does say it can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to get through. Good luck!

BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 10:02am
We are going through this too. We had a TERRIBLE night last night with miss 19month old.
Shes also been having nightmares and waking anywhere between midnight and 3am. Screaming. Shes so upset the poor thing.
Last night it took 3 hours to get her to finally go to bed...but even then the first stint was only 40mins before she woke up again and this was after 2 attempts at getting to to bed and then her throwing up as she got so upset.
I ended up getting about 3 hours sleep last night.
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 3:00pm
We got our son a night light at this age, as he got to the age where his imagination started seeing things in the dark. Just got a battery powered owl thingy from the sleep shop, and it was amazing how much it helped! So might be something to consider? Plus, it self weans, as it gets slowly dimmer as the batteries wear down over the weeks so gives of less and less light. Just started using it again as a night time aid to using the potty! (so a bed-side lamp lol).
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
 Post Reply Post Reply