FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDonor insemination - what can I expect?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Louise174091 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louise174091 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donor insemination - what can I expect?
    Posted: 16 February 2015 at 10:32pm
Hi all,

I have my first appointment at Fertility Associates in Hamilton on Friday to discuss options for my hubby and I, and I'm not really sure what to expect. My husband has zero sperm, so we will be looking at donor insemination and thankfully will get public funding for treatment. Information about this option is pretty scarce in NZ. Do you have to wait long for a donor after the first consultation? What's the typical success rate? Does anyone have a great success story? I'm really keen to hear your experiences.

Thanks! 😀
Sponsored Links

babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 5:51am
Hi Louise.
We are in the exact same position as you are in terms of having to use a donor. We're with the Wellington clinic and waited 6mths from going on funding list to starting treatment which began March 2013. During those months waiting we had our meetings with the counsellor, all the testing they need etc so once we got to
the top of the list we could start.

When picking our donor we got three profiles to look at based on similar features to our own. Was interesting to say the least.
Unfortunately I don't have a success story. We had 4 insinuations for our first public package of treatment which didn't work then our second package was ivf which resulted in 2 embryos replaced at two different times. One ended in chemical and the other miscarriage at 8wks. We've since paid for another round of ivf and that was another chemical. Now saving for more ivf while they investigate possible causes for repeat miscarriage.

At your consult ask seriously whether iui is the best option and whether they think it will have a good chance of working. Looking back I wish we'd paid for iui and saved the funding for ivf. Iui is about $2000 per go vs $13000 for ivf. Anyway that's just my experience - hopefully yours is easier!
Good luck for Friday!
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP
IVF3 Angel baby born 22.3wks
Starjasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 8:43pm
Hi Babycrazy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience so far. Thats a pretty crazy journey you've been on! When you had your initial tests, did they conclude that everything was fairly normal for you and that IUI would be the best option? Did you have to take drugs prior to or during treatment? I guess the hormone drugs are my biggest concern and I'm not entirely sure I want to go down the IVF path, but with more information we might have a better idea for the best way forward.

Thanks again for sharing your journey!

Edited by Starjasmine - 17 February 2015 at 8:48pm
daisy_asdfg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daisy_asdfg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 9:04pm
Hi we were in a similar situation to you and I now have a 1yr old chi!d as a result. I know what you mean about the lack of info out there. As baby crazy suggested, I would query whether iui is the best use of your public funding. I had 4 unsuccessful iuis as they assumed everything was normal on my side, but I was later diagnosed with endo and then moved onto ivf. Yes ivf is intense, but not as scary as it initially sounds. And as for the hormones, i didnt get too many side effects.
Any questions, feel free to ask away!

Edited by daisy_asdfg - 17 February 2015 at 9:47pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 9:10pm
Thanks Daisy! Right - it sounds like I need to write down a list of questions before Friday. Daisy how long were you on the waiting list?
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 9:23pm
All my iui were natural (drug free pretty much) and timed in my cycle. Initial tests and pretty much the way my body reacts during cycles is deemed to be normal but it now appears something goes wrong after embryo is in there. It wants to grow but just stops. They're talking natural killer cells now but that's a whole other story! Basically my consult said on paper I've only actually had seven opportunities to get pregnant which isn't abnormal in nature (and I've become properly pregnant once).
Anyway ivf drugs didn't really effect me too badly either. Maybe a bit more emotional but nothing I couldn't handle. As daisy said it seems daunting but it actually isn't too bad. And yes I would really question if iui is best option for your funding. Naturally they'll want to start there as it's least invasive. However it could actually work so.....lol something to think about.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daisy_asdfg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 9:36pm
I was on the wait list for 11months for public funding, but then had to wait for many more months for some donors to become available. But that was many years ago and with repromed who don't recruit donors as actively as fertility associates do (well at least they didn't back then, maybe things have changed).
Sorry to hear about your journey baby crazy. Have you ever done a pipelle/endometrial scrape?
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 6:02am
No daisy haven't had that done. What do they do it for? They're taking my case to their next clinical practice meeting but also talked about intralipid to counter act any killer cells that might be over zealous and attacking embryos. We're doing one more ivf so I want to get it sorted. Sucks not having our own sperm so there's no chance of a miracle happening.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daisy_asdfg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 10:39am
Oh it sounds like they are onto it then if they are taking your case to a clinical meeting and discussing adjunct therapies like the intralipids :) A pipelle biopsy is where they take a small piece of the endometrium lining the cycle before your transfer. The theory is that the body responds to the "injury" by sending lots of good things to help the lining regenerate, supporting implantation. It's a similar theory to why people have a greater chance of pregnancy following a miscarraige. There's not much hard evidence to say that it works at this stage, just anecdotal evidence.
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 10:28pm
Sounds intriguing daisy. Perhaps I'll ask. Intralipid has similar evidence in terms of results from what I can gather but it's not expensive nor harmful so I figure it's worth my time. I'm really looking forward to what they discuss after their mtg as I'm at a loss as to hoping this next time will work. We don't have an endless savings account nor do I have endless energy so will have to call it a day if it's a bust.
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 6:53pm
I had my first appointment this afternoon and we have to complete a couple more blood tests and return for our next appointment in 4 weeks. The current donor wait list for a fertility associates donor is 18 months!! Far out!! Thanks for you advice on the funding for IUI. We will get public funding because of hubby's health background but we think it would be best to put that aside for IVF if we need it. It looks like this is the start of a loooooooooong journey.
babycrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 10:13pm
18mths!!!!! Good grief that is a joke! You poor thing. Hope they put you on the list today so at least you're on there now. Hugs hun. Unfortunately this journey is loong, totally know how you feel. Xxx
TTC since Oct 2009
4 x DI's failed
IVF1 CP & MC
IVF2 CP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 10:32pm
The Dr was reluctant to give advice on treatment options or put us on any lists until we had a couple more tests done. We are pretty realistic about our situation though and have always believed that what will be will be. X
Matt130 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt130 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2015 at 9:24pm
18 months is a long wait! If you don't want to wait that long, you might be interested in this: http://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/topic44543_post5880303.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 11:00pm
Personally I would rather wait and do it through Fertility Associates. This is not something I want to rush into. If it takes 18 months, then it takes 18 months. Thanks for the link anyway.
Matt130 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt130 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2015 at 7:39pm
No worries. Some donors like to know a bit about who they donate to, but I completely understand that doesn't suit everyone. I agree that the whole donation process is best managed by a clinic such as Fertility Associates even for a donor you initially contact outside the clinic.

I hope it all works out well for you. Sometimes the wait is shorter than the clinic estimates.
J_keri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2015 at 10:00pm
Hi ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone had thought of using a known donor? We are thinking of using my husbands brother but just wanted to know what other people's thoughts are? ( not that it would sway us one way or the other just overthinking everything ) after 3 rounds of IVF with surgically removed sperm and x2 bfn X1 chemical with nothing to freeze life it getting a little dark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2015 at 3:31pm
Hi J_keri, we did think about that but made the personal decision to wait for a Fertility Associates donor. My partner doesn't have a brother unfortunately and we just didn't feel comfortable asking any of our friends. It's such a personal choice to make - everyone's situation is different. I'm hopefully going to be starting treatment (via IVf is about three months)
J_keri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2015 at 6:07pm
How long did you wait for a donor through the clinic? My husband is Pacific Islander and all the articles say that they don't really come forward to donate so wait times are ridiculous! Follow up isn't til the end of next month and I feel we need to go in with a decision so it doesn't put it back even further. Is this your first IVF?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starjasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2015 at 6:42pm
We went on the donor waiting list February this year and just had our second appointment with the counsellor. We've only just decided to go with IVF instead of IUI, mainly because we are going to privately fund our first treatment and we want a greater chance of success, so yes this will be our first round. If it is unsuccessful we will use our public funding for our second treatment which is pencilled in for December next year. Originally the waiting list for a donor on the IUI list was going to be about 18 months, which would be around June next year. However, since switching over to the IVF waiting list they've informed my partner and I that it could be as soon as next month for us - January at the latest. So exciting! We're both Caucasian, but it was mentioned to us that funding Maori, Pacific Island and Asian donors was difficult. You'll get loads of information and you might change your mind. The counsellor we've been seeing has been so wonderful and helpful and I think my hubby and I are confident with our decision.
 Post Reply Post Reply