FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVentilation systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sillytrollop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillytrollop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ventilation systems
    Posted: 26 March 2015 at 4:02pm
Hi all,

I just have a quick question; we just had a home assessment from a company called sayr. They recommended that a home ventilation system would be good for the home but also good for the air quality...and subsequently good for our upcoming baby?
I was pretty convinced but my partner not so much...anyone have any experience with ventilation systems and/or sayr?
Sponsored Links

Stoked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 5:53pm
I'm pretty sure that opening your windows and drawing the curtains is equally as good for the air quality in your home. We don't have a home ventilation system but have investigated them - most people I know that have them are very divided about their effectiveness, they either love them or hate them. (Hence we haven't had one installed.) I did bookmark this company when I was researching as I thought the product looked good. (Basic, but did the job well). Good luck! http://www.unovent.com/#!about/c4nz
Yoshiko173852 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoshiko173852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 6:43pm
Before we got our own place we live with my brother he had one installed, he had two girls who suffer from asthma. It made a big difference, his oldest daughter often had asthma attack in winter, but now it is much better. When we moved in we looked at several ones but I would be happy to recommend sayr. We have been very happy with ours. We got wet windows everyday till we put it in, now nothing. Very Friendly people.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillytrollop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2015 at 6:46pm
Thanks stoked...we will have look and report back.
LindaRewa177348 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LindaRewa177348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2015 at 1:39pm
Keen to know what you find out.

My daughter (who lives with me) is due in a couple of weeks. I was seriously looking at a couple of these options...Baby's room is always cold and damp over winter so was looking at what to do.(apart from heaters)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillytrollop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 1:51pm
Firstly let me say I'm officially over being pregnant...technically only 1 day to go...but that's too long!...Any tips for taking my mind off the 'my lovely bump?'

Secondly...just following up I what I have found out; we looked at three more options for ventilation, Dvs, hrv and unovent.

1. found it mildly amusing watching my husband just about throw the hrv guy out of our house...wouldn't recommend letting them in - the guy said some outlandish things and then just wouldn't leave. Hubbies a pretty calm person but even he got grumpy and basically walked him out the door and told him never to call them again!

2. Dvs were good, filter wasn't as good as the others. But they did reinforce what we had already been told about air quality, damp and mould etc.

3. unovent only researched via internet & via dvs rep...(over having people in the house and I can wear my 'comfy' clothes while looking at the internet lol)

What i found was that yes it is cheaper for the basic system but the filters were no were near as good as the other systems, volume of air wasn't as high and there was no real control system. dvs didn't recommend it for our house (their reasons made a lot of sense)

but...after all that we are going to go with the first option. We won't be doing anything until the baby is here and we have caught our breath.

I'll give an update once we have it.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LindaRewa177348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2015 at 5:19pm
How's the baby bump going luv?
Have you made any further progress with the Ventilation system?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillytrollop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2015 at 6:11pm
Hi Everyone,

WOW!

Where have the last 20 days gone? Our new little girl is now 20 days old (1 day overdue) Does your head ever stop spinning...and do you ever get to sleep again lol? I'm feeling really blessed not only do I have beautiful little girl but my man has been just wonderful. I couldn't have done this without him. Now I'm just waiting for my other friend to come back (Sav Blanc)

Right back to the question. We ended on settling on Sayr. My husband did a little more research Sayr seemed to come out on top. So far I think we made the right decision, every part of the process has been so easy and painless. The installers were amazing - THEY CLEANED UP! Darryl is a bit of a neat freak and even he was impressed. We have definitely noticed a change in the house, feels fresher and warmer. But it is condensation that I will be keeping my eye on...keep you posted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillytrollop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 6:16pm
Just a further post as a follow up.

MY little girl is great...Had her first sleep right through the night on the weekend yay!And I'm starting to feel a little bit normal again.

The system - Its been in nearly 3 months now. Hard to compare to last year but I would have to say the house does feel nicer. But the biggest thing is the condensation...we still get a bit from time to time but no where near what it was like last year; some rooms had it pooling on the sills. I would also say the level of mould is way down too - probably directly related to the condensation - or lack there of. By the end of the winter last year the linings of most of my curtains were black with mould. So very happy about that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LindaRewa177348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 11:29am
Hey Girl,

Glad your feeling better, wish I could say the same about my daughter and her little one. Rough trip this one.

Thanks for the feedback, we also ended up getting a sayr system and think it's great too. I've been telling all the Whanau they should look at getting one.
It made a big difference to our house; especially the cold end of the house.

Take care
Linz
 Post Reply Post Reply