FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe birth certificate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chellebelle78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chellebelle78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The birth certificate
    Posted: 30 January 2016 at 5:05pm
I'd really like to hear about single parents views on whether to put that Dad's name on the birth certificate or their own experiences.
My situation is I found out I was pregnant after the father and I had broken up. I told him but he's not interested in "being daddy". I've decided to go ahead and raise the child by myself - little girl due April. He has gone from complete denial to saying he would interested in meeting her when she's older if she wants that. I have told him the door is always open as I never want to deny my child that.

I'm torn about whether to put his name on the birth certificate or not. I will need some financial assistance while I'm off work but I have accepted that it will not be directly from him. I also know it is about the identity of my little girl not anything else.
If he's on the birth certificate he will have to pay child support and he will have rights. If he's not I'm free to raise my girl how I like but I also have to explain the blank space.

Thoughts or experience anyone?
Sponsored Links

antheawren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antheawren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2016 at 5:22pm
First honey he would have to sign the birth certificate - will he ? That may answer all your questions!

I personally think you should put his name on there, if he has already said he would like to meet her when she's older then you would have lots of explaining to do to your daughter! How would she feel when she's older not having a father named? There is no easy answer honey only you can answer that! Child support is such a help also!

Miscarriage 5 1/2 weeks Nov 14
Miscarriage 6 weeks September 15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antheawren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2016 at 5:23pm
I would have loved the child support with my son and I didn't get a cent from him! It's hard Work being a solo Mum there never seems to be enough money!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antheawren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2016 at 5:25pm
I also think whether he is on birth certificate or not you are still free to raise your Baby girl however you like and right from day one you can get full custody!

Sorry for so many posts I kept thinking of other things to say!

LateStarterLorna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LateStarterLorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2016 at 12:22pm
I have 2 kids, same father and hes not named because I wanted to have kids and didnt want him to pay child support, the kids will know who he is when they are older and start asking. So my main reason was child support but I know others that have full time care of their kids and the father still has rights in where they live. Work and Income will try and get you to name him but I refused and they just take around $20 a week from your benefit.

Your child will still know their dad if you tell them, to me a birth cert is just a piece of paper, totally different if you dont tell them as they then might never know, say if you died and no family knew who the father was.

Does that make sense? Home from camping and a little tired haha

Post Reply Post Reply